• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unbelievable Response from ebay seller....what do you think?

67 posts in this topic

Ok you guys...the seller sends me another email after I file a complaint with paypal...here it is.... of course he is referring to cropping and doctoring up the photo....Actually, I have dsicovered his pic is the same one on comics.org....

"I have not seen any rule by ebay that doesn't allow this for better clarity. Even the eBay seller, mycomicshop, has a label posted across their product. Doesn't mean I expect to get the comic book with it on it."

This guy is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person .

Just curious: Are you the one who asked the seller the question about the book's grade? 'Cause either way, the answer is truly evasive and (at least for me) sends up a "red alert!"

For more than $100, I'd have asked for a better scan...

As it is, you're going to have to go through the PayPal hell of the "not as advertised", which (despite CAL's insistence is a "slam dunk") may not be that easy.

The seller's auction does state "Unless otherwise noted, all items are being sold as is" and this marroon may just be able to convince PayPal of that...

Good luck!

Larry

I defeated the "sold as is" defense in a nearly identical situation with PayPal.

PM me if they use this excuse and I'll dig out my old case number if you need to prove to them that they have overridden that disclaimer in the past.

Just curious: Are you the one who asked the seller the question about the book's grade? 'Cause either way, the answer is truly evasive and (at least for me) sends up a "red alert!"

For more than $100, I'd have asked for a better scan...

As it is, you're going to have to go through the PayPal hell of the "not as advertised", which (despite CAL's insistence is a "slam dunk") may not be that easy.

The seller's auction does state "Unless otherwise noted, all items are being sold as is" and this marroon may just be able to convince PayPal of that...

Good luck!

Larry

I would think that the 'sold as is' disclaimer could be undermined by the fact that his deliberate doctoring didn't give the buyer any chance to discover what actually 'is'? (shrug)

Well, it isnt a WHOLE lot of money...it is just the principle...Some people on ebay think they can get away with anything, its nucking futts!!

what used to irritate me enough to bring the real jerk CAL out was this resonse:

" You got it at a great price - what's your problem?"

"I would respond - you can't say VF - NM when it is really VG or less"

Bottom line; Bad Sellers can't be reasoned with. Either avoid them or buy with extreme caution.

CAL been there done that

The seller is engaging in fraud by altering his image, but it does appear to me that it is evident that the image was cropped in the listing (clear warning sign). He did indicate that the book was a G/VG, which would be a 3.0. A 3.0 is a pretty beat up copy, which certainly does not correspond with his image.

In any event, hopefully the paypal dispute comes through for you :foryou:

Just to play Devil's Advocate here..

Pennynike does bring up an interesting point. "G/VG" does equate to a 3.0 or so. Once I saw the actual scan, it does look like you did receive a book in that condition. Did you actually pay a price comparable to a book in that condition? Did you think that based on the image you were buying an under graded book? I can definitely relate if thats the case.

If the guy was trying to swindle you, he would never have openly admitted to doctoring the image. In his mind it was probably the equivalent to posting a stock photo of the book, which is permissible. If he stated "this is an actual scan of the book" then it is out and out fraud so I'm not trying to defend him, but the above will most certainly be his defense in a dispute.

Cropped image, image looking better than the given grade, stock photo, all red flags and questions should have been asked before bidding on the book. Always CYA

Hope things turn out alright for you bro