• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Is Enough Enough?

39 posts in this topic

Been going through my absolutely disfunctional mess of a collection the last couple days and started thinking about where to go from here. All in all, II'm very happy with the issues I have in my collection but....

I've found I already have really nice HG issues of comics I've recently bought additional copies of and thought I was upgradiing. Also, I don't really have a want list anymore. I've found all the issues I was searching for when I restarted collecting. I really noticed this problem before I went to Megacon and could only come up with list of four comics. A couple years ago that list was pages long. I've even branched out my focus but have those as well. It's getting to the point where the only areas to go are genres I don't feel comfortable collecting or have zero desire. Also, some of the runs that were on my want list I really don't have much desire to keep anymore. Maybe it was the thrill of finding them but now that I own them, I'm not sure I want to keep them...

I'm sure other oldtime collectors have come to this point and would be interested to hear what they did...

Jim

Pick a HTF cheaper series if you're like me and actually enjoy the

hunt more than the kill.

I work Tom and Jerry, Our Gang, and My Greatest Adventures.

I know Marnin has a nicer MGA collection than I do, but who

in their right minds chases Tom and Jerry in 9.6 and above ?

Well, I only started in 2002, so am far from an old-timer collector, but I know what you are going through.

At one point I had over 5000 comics on my want-list, last week I was down to less than 25.

Today I decided to collect another series, so the list is over 100 again... but one day I will reach the end.

I also got rid of few thousand comics the last year, almost all my 1990 - 2000 books (but of course kept the issues that were part of a complete series)

Last year I tried collecting OA for a while and bought almost nothing but art for 10 - 12 months, but that didn't stick. From what I gather I'm a rare beast, one of the few that caught OA fever, but returned to comics.

I'm also thinking that once I'm finished with Marvel SA, I might go and collect GA, already have some GA Batman books... would make a nice run Batman #1 - #500 or something, at least I know I wouldn't be able to complete that in a year.

No real advice here really, just trying to sympathize and let you know that others are in the same (luxury) position

Jim sell all those crappy 90's issues. :baiting: But seriously maybe start to unload non-core books and use the proceeds to buy key issues or pedigree books? Improve by trimming the fat from the collection.

Wish it was that easy...post-1987 comics are a very tiny part of the collection...

As far as selling...I've already decided to restart actively selling comics here and on eBay. But I have to tell you...I hate packing...just hate it. But it has to be done if I wish to get rid of them. I really miss the European comics circuit where I could just set up and sell...

Jim

Jim sell all those crappy 90's issues. :baiting: But seriously maybe start to unload non-core books and use the proceeds to buy key issues or pedigree books? Improve by trimming the fat from the collection.

Wish it was that easy...post-1987 comics are a very tiny part of the collection...

As far as selling...I've already decided to restart actively selling comics here and on eBay. But I have to tell you...I hate packing...just hate it. But it has to be done if I wish to get rid of them. I really miss the European comics circuit where I could just set up and sell...

Jim

OA? What could be cooler than collecting one of a kind art, created by the legends of comics.

I had this come up a few years ago (I've been collecting for more than 40 years :o )

I looked outside the box, started getting interested in the "other guys" (I am generally a Silver/Bronze with a smattering of Gold guy).

Checked out a lot of Gold Key (Solar, Magnus, MARS Patrol and some of the lesser known titles like Dr Spektor). Started runs of Charlton books, still trying to complete the Silver Age Archie series (Jaguar, Flyman, Shadow, etc).

The quality of a lot of these books led me to attempt to get the "so bad they're good" books. Anything by Tony Tallarico, plenty of Charltons - Thunderbolt, Fightin' Five, (Peacemaker, anyone?), Super Green Beret, Captain Marvel (the MF Enterprises outing that involved the heroes body splitting into useful parts :sick:). Fatman, the Human Flying Saucer (CC Beck, what were you thinking?)

Almost any of the Harvey books that tried to get into superheroes qualify here. Jigsaw, Double Dare Adventure (with B-Man of the F Bee I), Piranha. Some of these stories are hilarious and there are even some gems. Spyman - Jim Steranko's first published work (and has an Adams ad page for Goodyear tyres that is very nice).

Any of the Samson, Turok or Korak books that have painted covers are worthwhile, though the stories can be iffy.

I found I actually like ACG's Herbie.

I've found I am also knee deep in ducks, too. Funny, when I first got into comics I was (of course) dismissive of the funny animals. Now I cannot get enough Barks and Kelly.

Anyway, food for thought. For the most part it really is all about the chase.

Been going through my absolutely disfunctional mess of a collection the last couple days and started thinking about where to go from here. All in all, II'm very happy with the issues I have in my collection but....

I've found I already have really nice HG issues of comics I've recently bought additional copies of and thought I was upgradiing. Also, I don't really have a want list anymore. I've found all the issues I was searching for when I restarted collecting. I really noticed this problem before I went to Megacon and could only come up with list of four comics. A couple years ago that list was pages long. I've even branched out my focus but have those as well. It's getting to the point where the only areas to go are genres I don't feel comfortable collecting or have zero desire. Also, some of the runs that were on my want list I really don't have much desire to keep anymore. Maybe it was the thrill of finding them but now that I own them, I'm not sure I want to keep them...

I'm sure other oldtime collectors have come to this point and would be interested to hear what they did...

Jim

Jim, I pretty much sold all I have over the years and converted that into a couple of keys. It's a fun hobby, but to have 10,000 books, what has one accomplished? Buying a few ultra keys makes me happy, keeps one foot in the hobby, and gives me extra stomping room in the 'ole homestead.

As we grow older, other priorities take front seat, and the books don't create that magic that they used to but we still LOVE the hobby...always.

Brannon

There are never enough comics to collect.

I buy around 25 new titles every month, cut that down from about 40 when the prices went up.

Completed a SA Marvel collection (all super hero titles) and so have branched out to getting back all the Sgt Fury issues I sold.

Need just 4 comics to complete the super hero Marvel BA collection - so have started to go for the horror reprints.

Got 95% of every DC super title published between 1960 and 1990.

Got complete runs of every major Marvel title from FF #1 up to this month.

Tracking down all the Marvel magazine titles from the 1970's.

The main focus now is GA comics. Was supposed to be just a few National (DC) titles but that went out of the window once I discovered all the cool stuff published outside of the big two.

Hope the above makes some kind of sense because I don't know where my collecting focus is at now.