• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Is Enough Enough?

39 posts in this topic

To be honest, I wish I was at a point where I was satisfied with my collection. This hobby can get so darn expensive.

Right now, I'm pretty happy with my collection. Sure there's books I don't have that I want, but part of the fun of this hobby is seeking out those books.

And reading them once you get them.

For the original poster, I recommend thinning the herd and focusing on one or two core titles. Stuff you really like.

Packing is my nightmare as well, takes so frickin long when you do multiple sales all at once and its not cheap when you have to buy supplies at the post office.

Supplies are much cheaper at the dollar store or staples.

Actually not so much at Staples locally but I never thought to check out a dollar store, good idea. (thumbs u

Not sure if this good for you, but I read an interesting way to collect from a hardcover collector. He always kept his collection at 100 issues, plus or minus a few issues. Whenever he added an upgraded issue (better grade or better book) he would sell off an issue. This way he kept his collection small and was always improving on it.

Bruce

Hey Jim,

I am in a similar situation. I have near complete runs of many of the Marvel titles and a complete run of Batman. I thought of finishing the marvel runs, but in the current climit, it is really just a mater of money to finish those, nothing too challenging unless you go for the very high grade which are just too expensive. Because of this, I have started to sell off the Marvel titles (but very slowly). I tried making a run on Detective which is pretty hard to finish if you opt for fine or better, but the cost of the early issues makes it an impossible goal. now I am ocused on cleaning out my collection and just upgrading the Batman run and buying Original Art. I suggest not chasing runs you really don't like because it will just be regret later. Clean out the collection and see if there is anything that excites you. If not, take a pause and see if anything comes up later.

Do you have any interest in GA?

No...never had the desire. I do have some GA I've bought over the last year thinking maybe it was something to get into but frankly it didn't stick. Personally I see people here get excited about some Schomberg or Lou Fine cover but I am indifferent and don't see what everyone loves about the covers. My loss probably but then again I don't much care for SA Ditko or Kirby that's not inked by Sinnott.

I will admit though that some of Action war covers are plenty cool and Flessel Adventure covers were very well done. Baker as well...

But in a nutshell, it's not an Age I'm particularly interested in getting heavily involved in...

Jim

Checked out a lot of Gold Key (Solar, Magnus, MARS Patrol and some of the lesser known titles like Dr Spektor). Started runs of Charlton books, still trying to complete the Silver Age Archie series (Jaguar, Flyman, Shadow, etc).

The quality of a lot of these books led me to attempt to get the "so bad they're good" books. Anything by Tony Tallarico, plenty of Charltons - Thunderbolt, Fightin' Five, (Peacemaker, anyone?), Super Green Beret, Captain Marvel (the MF Enterprises outing that involved the heroes body splitting into useful parts :sick:). Fatman, the Human Flying Saucer (CC Beck, what were you thinking?)

I'm heavily invested (not literally) in both companies...

I lost interest in GK after the Random House copies were released. Almost overnight, it was no longer hard to find alot of the company's issues and those issues that weren't a part of the collection, and I wanted, I already had. Essentially killed the hunt...

I still find joy in collecting Charlton but, again, I pretty much have most of the issues I want...

Thanks for the advise...

Jim

As we grow older, other priorities take front seat, and the books don't create that magic that they used to but we still LOVE the hobby...always.

That's where I am I believe...and it's a damn shame in a way because I can afford comics that were a pipedream not 5 years ago.

Trimming the collection down to essentially a core few issues/runs may be the solution.

What I won't do though is become a CGC numbers chaser. Just not wired for that and if I've learned anything in my 20+ years of collecting is there are much cheaper ways of getting a HG collection...

Jim

I'm sure other oldtime collectors have come to this point and would be interested to hear what they did...

Time to go Platinum... (thumbs u

Obadiah Oldbuck? lol

Jim

Lotsa nice Windsor McKay(sp?) stuff out there...the early Buster Browns are awesome... ;)

I'm sure other oldtime collectors have come to this point and would be interested to hear what they did...

Time to go Platinum... (thumbs u

Obadiah Oldbuck? lol

Jim

Lotsa nice Windsor McKay(sp?) stuff out there...the early Buster Browns are awesome... ;)

Windsor McKay :cloud9:

Great thread. Everything cycles around..If you sell them, you could always get them back again...I'd obviously hold onto the ones you have a good story to go with, if you are into that side of collecting. I just got back into the game and there was so much stuff I missed in the years I was gone, plus stuff I never read originally. It's overwhelming how much is out there.

How about moving onto titles you once had no interest in. You might be suprised that you enjoy them! There is also the Moderns. I got back into comics mainly because my wife started reading the Fables series. I follow this and Walking Dead each month. It's been a blast!

I've always felt that a good collection is one that is constantly reexamined and maintained with rules. Like a lawn, it could get out of control if it isn't cared for, growing wild with weeds (though this is kinda cool if it's what you like!)

Every collector is different! Best of luck reorganizing the books!

I'm a pack rat and if I could afford to I'd easily own multiples of every comic ever made and then just talk to them and hang out with them. Kind of like plants...only better as now they would be evolved plants.

:grin:

Do you have any interest in GA?

No...never had the desire. I do have some GA I've bought over the last year thinking maybe it was something to get into but frankly it didn't stick. Personally I see people here get excited about some Schomberg or Lou Fine cover but I am indifferent and don't see what everyone loves about the covers. My loss probably but then again I don't much care for SA Ditko or Kirby that's not inked by Sinnott.

I will admit though that some of Action war covers are plenty cool and Flessel Adventure covers were very well done. Baker as well...

But in a nutshell, it's not an Age I'm particularly interested in getting heavily involved in...

Jim

I am also very fond of the Flessel NA/Adventure comics. I have said for some time now, that if I was ever going to start another run, this would be it.