• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to OA, need some advice.

25 posts in this topic

Well, like alot of collectors, my wallet was much smaller than my eyes, and I am a pretty impatient person. So, I've acquired a dozen or so pieces that I don't care much about. Some seemed good at the time, some were just cheap.

I started picking up pieces a few years ago, but I really didn't start getting at all selective until recently. So, I kinda consider myself fairly new. ;) And, I still haven't picked up any pieces from my favorite artists or characters. Mainly because they were more than I could afford, and I was taking the easy route. I am a big fan of Flash, Doctor Who, MOKF, Howard The Duck, DC War, Joe Kubert, Jim Aparo, and others. But, I don't own any work except for a con sketch recreation of the new Doctor Who series.

I guess my question is, after collecting comics for years and making friends and dozens of transactions over in the comic sales forum, are there alot of transactions in this neck of the woods?

I also wondered how I could get a feel of the value of what I have, and if anyone ever trades art? :)

I've got a 2-page Deathstroke splash by Art Nichols, with a huge explosion (I'm not sure of the issue number), and a handful of other pages. But, I don't know if anyone would be interested, or how much they are worth. I'd really rather trade someone for something they don't want anymore, yet I've been looking for. :)

I guess I'm also to the point now where I"d wait for some choice pieces I've wanted. I know I can't afford covers, but how much would a Flash, HTD, or MOKF page go for these days? With a character on them, mind you. I don't necessarily need a highly-prized artist either.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Take a look at some past market data. It will give you a feel for what certain titles/characters go for. CAF has the Market Data engine that pulls auction results from Ebay, Heritage, and CLink.

If you are not able to spend a lot, take heart, you can find some really good pieces out there if you look, for good prices. Sometimes, you can get really good pieces at ridiculously low prices, when others miss them.

You have multiple sources for OA: here on the boards people post OA, ebay, Comic Link,

Comic Art Fans, Heritage, private party dealer sites. My best advice to you is talking to fellow collectors via Comic Art Fans. I personally get better deals on a collector to collector basis, and locate pieces that were not posted anywhere for sale.

Good Luck...and don't get too addicted

A lot of us collect art here. And I'm sure there a few here that trade and most of us put a link to our CAF pages. Check out other collectors pages and make inquiries. Most collectors enjoy talking to other collectors and they might be able to steer you towards the pieces you're looking for. Good luck.

"Good luck.... and don't get too addicted." :thumbsup:

Best.... advice.... ever. :D

Thanks for the good words.

So, how does everyone store their art? Portfolios? Top-loaders?

And, if you use a top-loader, how do you store those?

"Good luck.... and don't get too addicted." :thumbsup:

Best.... advice.... ever. :D

Thanks for the good words.

So, how does everyone store their art? Portfolios? Top-loaders?

And, if you use a top-loader, how do you store those?

I use Mylar and acid free backing boards.

I've found people acquire about pieces from my CAF page from time to time.

I'd say the majority of the stuff in my CAF is framed, but I do have some smaller items that I have bagged and boarded as I do my comics--I'm still working on how to best show them off. If you're not constrained by the desire to get the hottest artists out there, you can definitely get some great artwork (published or commission style pieces) for some great prices by up-and-coming artists.

Best of luck (from another newb!-)

I thought about framing, but worried about running out of space quickly.

I think I might frame a couple, though. hm

Itoya are the way to go...they are presentation books that let you page through your art like a book but still protect them and store them.

When you've been at this hobby too long and spent far too much money you might do what I did and have a custom maple flat filing cabinet built. It has 8 3 inch tall drawers that are 23"x30" interior dimensions and a 9 inch tall storage space underneath....and IT'S FULL. :screwy: yep...that's a new level of nuts.

That has allowed me to take my art out of Itoya books...and I have a stack of brand new ones that I bought last year and have not used.

They are great for storage and for taking to conventions to carry your artwork around and pick pieces up and are significantly less expensive than zippered portfolios.

So if you want to get some I have 16x20's, 11x17's and 14x17's that you can have for 1/2 of whatever the art stores are selling them for.

Here's what they look like:

IA.jpg

and individually

itoya.jpg

Best,

C

Itoya are the way to go...they are presentation books that let you page through your art like a book but still protect them and store them.

When you've been at this hobby too long and spent far too much money you might do what I did and have a custom maple flat filing cabinet built. It has 8 3 inch tall drawers that are 23"x30" interior dimensions and a 9 inch tall storage space underneath....and IT'S FULL. :screwy: yep...that's a new level of nuts.

That has allowed me to take my art out of Itoya books...and I have a stack of brand new ones that I bought last year and have not used.

They are great for storage and for taking to conventions to carry your artwork around and pick pieces up and are significantly less expensive than zippered portfolios.

So if you want to get some I have 16x20's, 11x17's and 14x17's that you can have for 1/2 of whatever the art stores are selling them for.

IA.jpg

and individually

itoya.jpg

Best,

C

How well do these work with pieces of art of varying sizes?

IA.jpg

and individually

itoya.jpg

Best,

C

How well do these work with pieces of art of varying sizes?

I have Itoyas from 9x12 up to 18x24

They work pretty well across the board I just try not to have the pieces swimming in the page. I just try to match up the Itoya size with what I am trying to store.

11x17 is great for all those convention pieces that wind up being 9x12 and 11x14 almost always and for modern art that is on the small side.

the 14 x17 covers all of the above and some of the slightly wider pieces.

You will probably need a few of them of different sizes to accomodate everything well.

C

That's a cabinet I'd LOVE to dig through. :cloud9:

I actualy picked up a portfolio, and have a 9x11 I think it is for the 2 show sketches I have, and the handful of pieces I have signed. Like, the Trimpe auto I have.

I'd happily take any old portfolios you don't need. Just let me know what sizes, quantity, & price.

so you just have loose pages lying in a cabinet?

Everything is in 4 mil mylar with boards then placed in the drawers. I had the drawers made with cedar as one of the woods.

I will take a pic tonight. It really is what I have always wanted for my artwork.

C

Everything is in 4 mil mylar with boards then placed in the drawers. I had the drawers made with cedar as one of the woods.

I will take a pic tonight. It really is what I have always wanted for my artwork.

C

Falling right into the trap. He wants to see your setup. He's casing your place.

C

Falling right into the trap. He wants to see your setup. He's casing your place.

I will have the armed guards and sharks with friggin laser beams on their heads stay out of the picture...it will leave an element of surprise. (thumbs u

C

That's a cabinet I'd LOVE to dig through. :cloud9:

I actualy picked up a portfolio, and have a 9x11 I think it is for the 2 show sketches I have, and the handful of pieces I have signed. Like, the Trimpe auto I have.

I'd happily take any old portfolios you don't need. Just let me know what sizes, quantity, & price.

Here are a few shots. You can get the idea.

The drawers can hold a ton of art, and the top is large enough to be a nice place to look at and use for rebagging, etc. It's roughly 42 inches tall.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Yeah, that might be the sweetest custom collectables storage I've ever seen. I remember something a little like that in high school drafting class in my 80's high school, but it was all metal amd not as cool. hm I wonder if i could find one of those down the road.

Oh lord, this means I'm going to have to work faster to trim down my collection of comics if I'm going to have room for things like this... .. . .....

Umm, anyone wanna trade art for comics?? lol