• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date Stamps

40 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, I am new to alot of this and still learning. I'm sure there is a thread or something on this subject, just havent seen it. Some of my old comics have a date stamp on them. I have seen this mentioned on the boards before and am wondering was this a common practice back in the day for dealers to do and does it affect the CGC grade? I appreciate any insight on this.

They don't affect the grade at all assuming it's those small standard size date stamps.

That's correct, now handwritten dates can be another story, light pencil or pen is not a problem, but if the person pressed really hard when writing and left an impression in the cover that you are able to see on the inside, that can effect the grade.

Date stamps were placed on comics by the newsdealers in the old days so they would know how long the comics had been on the racks. The retailer would go through the comics display and pull all books that hadn't sold within a certain amount of time (a month?) and return them to the publisher for credit. Some arrival dates were stamps, others were hand-written with pencil or pen. Some are on the front cover, some on the back. Most of them do not affect the grade, especially if they are stamped, but I have seen some really bad ones that were written with a grease pencil. I would suspect that some of the hand-written ones could bring the grade down a bit if they are large, sloppy, or if they leave an indentation as mentioned above.

I actually think arrival date stamps are kind of neat, because they tell you the exact date that the book was placed on the stands. It really adds some history, in my opinion. Also, many people enjoy searching for books that have a date stamp of their birthday.

If there properly placed and neat in appearance. I kind of like them. It gives the book a history in time as it were. The hand written one's are a bit of a different thing. I don't really like them. Again, if there properly placed, small and neat. Then I find them easier to look at.

Got any from 11/22/63? hm

I'll have to check and get back to you.

I just wonder why wouldnt the guy who put the stamp on them put it up or down in a corner somewhere but No, he liked to stick it right dab in the middle on some comics.

I guess back in the day they never thought someone someday would put a high value on a comic. It reminds me of all those great baseball cards I had when I was young and sticking Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams in the spokes of my bicycle wheels to make a cool sound never thinking I could buy the farm with those cards someday.

When I first started collecting I hated them as much as writing on a book. Over the last 5 years I have come to accept them as part of the attraction of collecting funny books. A little added history.

I dont mind them to much,if they are not,say,on someones face!I have a JIM with a date/store stamp on it from just up the street from where I live!13 years before I was born!!I think it's very neat in that case :)

That leaves the MH Edgar Church Collection out!! (shrug)

That's fine with me. All of those books are pressed anyway as a result of all those years they spent in tall stacks in Edgar Church's basement.