• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date Stamps

40 posts in this topic

The size of the stamp, how it was done. placement is THE Key factor IMHO. Well placed, small, unobtrusive is fine with me. Large, sloppy, poorly placed, hand written date stamps are something I could do without.

Surely this type of date stamp is OK with most here. It is on the BC of a 6.5 Iron Man # 1

Pretty much dead center... Well OK, it's a bit to the left of that by a quarter inch!!

77841.jpg.3d8f31ef17e8ab5ecef3b0bfeb6c9d2e.jpg

Ruined.

The size of the stamp, how it was done. placement is THE Key factor IMHO. Well placed, small, unobtrusive is fine with me. Large, sloppy, poorly placed, hand written date stamps are something I could do without.

Surely this type of date stamp is OK with most here. It is on the BC of a 6.5 Iron Man # 1

Pretty much dead center... Well OK, it's a bit to the left of that by a quarter inch!!

I'm gonna have to agree with FFB on this one - to an extent - I can't stand date stamps or writing on the front cover, but could care less about the back. Unless the writing indicates pedigree, like Okajima, then it bothers me less.

Hi Guys, Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, I am new to alot of this and still learning. I'm sure there is a thread or something on this subject, just havent seen it. Some of my old comics have a date stamp on them. I have seen this mentioned on the boards before and am wondering was this a common practice back in the day for dealers to do and does it affect the CGC grade? I appreciate any insight on this.

this is a real good question...and with this book..and its sale $...

this date stamp is smudged and obtrusive...9.8...

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3DAVENGERS%2B%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D57%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy&id=776721

I am quite fond of them, especially store stamps.

I love store stamps if they are from local stores. When I was a kid I would bus around town every Sat. morning to visit 2nd hand book stores. Dozens of them have come and gone and the stamps remind me of stores I loved to prowl.

I love date stamps, esp when it is the full date on the FC of comics like say, "JUN 08 1942". It gives a sense of history and you can think back as to what was going on in the world at that time :) Also, the date stamps normally pre-date the month on the comic cover by 30-90 days...like, Action 1 has a cover date of "June 1938" but it was on the stands in April 1938...likewise AF 15's cover month is "AUG" but was on the newstands in "JUNE '62"

I'm gonna have to agree with FFB on this one - to an extent - I can't stand date stamps or writing on the front cover, but could care less about the back. Unless the writing indicates pedigree, like Okajima, then it bothers me less.

As anyone who has been posting here for more than a couple years realizes, I was just kidding. I don't hate date stamps, especially on the back cover. I would prefer not to have one smack dab in the middle of the focal point on the front cover, but a date stamp is in no way a dealbreaker for me.

In my opinion, any marking or damages that occur after the comic book is produced should be not only noted but there should be a penalty in grading since it is not of original composition and has been altered. Maybe a date stamp has a lesser penalty then hand writing or a chip, but if looking at pure and unbaised grading, I would think it should have some demerit value, even if ever so slight, and not ignored since it's an aftermarket alteration which some consider a defect or flaw.

In my opinion, any marking or damages that occur after the comic book is produced should be not only noted but there should be a penalty in grading since it is not of original composition and has been altered. Maybe a date stamp has a lesser penalty then hand writing or a chip, but if looking at pure and unbaised grading, I would think it should have some demerit value, even if ever so slight, and not ignored since it's an aftermarket alteration which some consider a defect or flaw.

A date stamp from the retailer is not aftermarket. You were right in your first sentence - it is post-production.

But it is also part of the distribution/retail process of the book, occuring before the book is made available to the original purchaser. The more common date stamps (small handwritten or small ink pad stamps) never bothered me, and I actually liked them as an aspect of the book's history. Even the fugly huge date stamps I view in the same light as, say, a badly off-center cover.

But it is also part of the distribution/retail process of the book, occuring before the book is made available to the original purchaser. The more common date stamps (small handwritten or small ink pad stamps) never bothered me, and I actually liked them as an aspect of the book's history. Even the fugly huge date stamps I view in the same light as, say, a badly off-center cover.

I completely agree.

Books, especially, from the GA and early SA one pretty much expects a date stamp as a "part" of the comic experience. Now if you're talking a copper or modern age books I would consider a date stamp or date marking to be a defect since it is no longer part of the standard handling and marketing of a comic book. When looking at something of this nature we really do have to take the historical context into account when deciding defect or non-defect imho.

I like a well placed date stamp. However, I do hate a penciled price on the Back cover. I always avoided copies with the penciled price. Anyone know if CGC treats a penciled price on the BC like a penciled date on the FC ???

I completely agree.

Books, especially, from the GA and early SA one pretty much expects a date stamp as a "part" of the comic experience. Now if you're talking a copper or modern age books I would consider a date stamp or date marking to be a defect since it is no longer part of the standard handling and marketing of a comic book. When looking at something of this nature we really do have to take the historical context into account when deciding defect or non-defect imho.

Bill, that is an excellent point. Coming from someone (aka me) who see's even 70's books as modern(ish) - yes, I am really coming from a GA/AA/SA perspective. Very nice pickup on that aspect. Very nice indeed!