• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,063 posts in this topic

What is cool about collecting comics?? Well in my opinion almost everything! For me its a time capsule into an earlier time. I may have not been alive during this earlier time, but I can relate to it for some reason. Don't get me wrong I am a man of the 21st Century, meaning I like my plasma TV, computers, internet, and most things modern. What I do conect with is an earlier time when people cared a little more, and worked a little harder.

For me, buying a old funny book from the 40's conects me with these earlier people and social mores. I enjoy reading posts showing pictures of young kids crowded around this artform in its infantcy. I love the smell of old paper and ink, I love the color and richness of that color as it performs a titalation of my eyes. I love the way puplishers used this to not only market youth, but to rally them in a patriotic fever. Uniting the nation to rally behind the troops, sacrificing profits, all for the benifit of our country. Can you imagine this today? Not likely!

Characters were fresh and new as the art form. Colorfull, exciting, outlandish, and to the 10yr old of 1940 something visually stunning. Pre sit com, pre-video game, these funny books we love did far more than polute the minds of 40's american children. They taught reading, imagination, hope, patriotism, and love of art.

In fact what drew me into comics as a young child was the Patriotism of Captain America. He was the best of what we as a nation should be, the perfect American. I was attracted to the selfless nature of God and Country before your own needs even then. It was the Schomburg Overstreet cover with Cap floating down to kick arse that hooked me, untill that time it was make mine Richie Rich. From that point forward, it was Cap, the Spidey, Iron man, Hulk and on to others. My first silver age back issue was in fact Captain America 100, man I was hooked. I knew someday I would buy a Captain America Comics #1, but of course I wanted a Mint copy and at that time its was like $3000.00, might as well been a Million to me. Now finally getting a copy it is a sweet as I could have ever imagined. Its not mint, but its perfect to me. In every possible sense of the word and experience its perfect an actuall GEM Mint!

It is my feeling that this experience, reconecting to an earlier time is what makes the hobby(passion) so completely wonderful. With out it, I doubt prices would be even close to today's amazing values. Comic collecting is a wonderfull disease which is impossible to explain to someone not afflicted. Today, I pulled out all my Timely's and just stared at each cover, marveling the imagination, creativity, and social conditions of the time. I was transfixed, and moved to another time where things appeared to be simpler, more defined. Maybe that is a fantasy, maybe not, but its mine and I enjoy it. The thought of young boys and girls running around to the local newstand and rushing home to ready to read the next Chapter is a good thought. Heck, today I would be afraid to let my kids go anywhere with out supervision. A world where locking the door was a rarity, not where its expected and foolish not to.

I think what I conect most with is the feeling of wanting to be suprised. That almost never happens to me anymore. Maybe I am not correct in my thinking but I think that, that is the difference. There was a world of possiblities, not said facts. Discovery's around every corner, new worlds, adventure, action, all things lost today. Nothing is supprising or new, its all so common place we don't strive for much. So maybe, thats what I hang on to, and covet with old funny books. Its my gateway to forgotten worlds of adventure and action, where the good guy is good, and he doens't always win the battle, but he does win the war. Where realism is not faked, but delt with in a honest portrayal. Bad or good, at least honest with out political correctness or politics, and where a dime bought you this, and another .25 cents got you a soda, popcorn and movie.

rantrant

Edited by mr.schomburg

that was very nicely said...I might quote you on a few things, as your perspective is refreshing and thoughtful

gator

Edited by Detective27Kid

What is cool about collecting comics?? Well in my opinion almost everything! For me its a time capsule into an earlier time. I may have not been alive during this earlier time, but I can relate to it for some reason. Don't get me wrong I am a man of the 21st Century, meaning I like my plasma TV, computers, internet, and most things modern. What I do conect with is an earlier time when people cared a little more, and worked a little harder.

For me, buying a old funny book from the 40's conects me with these earlier people and social mores. I enjoy reading posts showing pictures of young kids crowded around this artform in its infantcy. I love the smell of old paper and ink, I love the color and richness of that color as it performs a titalation of my eyes. I love the way puplishers used this to not only market youth, but to rally them in a patriotic fever. Uniting the nation to rally behind the troops, sacrificing profits, all for the benifit of our country. Can you imagine this today? Not likely!

Characters were fresh and new as the art form. Colorfull, exciting, outlandish, and to the 10yr old of 1940 something visually stunning. Pre sit com, pre-video game, these funny books we love did far more than polute the minds of 40's american children. They taught reading, imagination, hope, patriotism, and love of art.

In fact what drew me into comics as a young child was the Patriotism of Captain America. He was the best of what we as a nation should be, the perfect American. I was attracted to the selfless nature of God and Country before your own needs even then. It was the Schomburg Overstreet cover with Cap floating down to kick arse that hooked me, untill that time it was make mine Richie Rich. From that point forward, it was Cap, the Spidey, Iron man, Hulk and on to others. My first silver age back issue was in fact Captain America 100, man I was hooked. I knew someday I would buy a Captain America Comics #1, but of course I wanted a Mint copy and at that time its was like $3000.00, might as well been a Million to me. Now finally getting a copy it is a sweet as I could have ever imagined. Its not mint, but its perfect to me. In every possible sense of the word and experience its perfect an actuall GEM Mint!

It is my feeling that this experience, reconecting to an earlier time is what makes the hobby(passion) so completely wonderful. With out it, I doubt prices would be even close to today's amazing values. Comic collecting is a wonderfull disease which is impossible to explain to someone not afflicted. Today, I pulled out all my Timely's and just stared at each cover, marveling the imagination, creativity, and social conditions of the time. I was transfixed, and moved to another time where things appeared to be simpler, more defined. Maybe that is a fantasy, maybe not, but its mine and I enjoy it. The thought of young boys and girls running around to the local newstand and rushing home to ready to read the next Chapter is a good thought. Heck, today I would be afraid to let my kids go anywhere with out supervision. A world where locking the door was a rarity, not where its expected and foolish not to.

I think what I conect most with is the feeling of wanting to be suprised. That almost never happens to me anymore. Maybe I am not correct in my thinking but I think that, that is the difference. There was a world of possiblities, not said facts. Discovery's around every corner, new worlds, adventure, action, all things lost today. Nothing is supprising or new, its all so common place we don't strive for much. So maybe, thats what I hang on to, and covet with old funny books. Its my gateway to forgotten worlds of adventure and action, where the good guy is good, and he doens't always win the battle, but he does win the war. Where realism is not faked, but delt with in a honest portrayal. Bad or good, at least honest with out political correctness or politics, and where a dime bought you this, and another .25 cents got you a soda, popcorn and movie.

rantrant

Huh, well I guess. But what about the fact that they appreciate in value more than 10% each year?

ht1s.jpg

courtesy of showcase-4...thanks steve....

cap16s.jpg

just a little "diddy"...

gator

Rick,

you really shouldn't have, far, far to generous. Anyway, I send my adress via PM. You really picked me up some pretty copies.

Paul

I already have your addy :)

gator

Preach Brother Preach!

Can I get an Amen!?!?!?!

:applause:

Well said my friend! One thing I always due when I pick up a new GA book is think about the kid who saved up his pennies all week so he could buy his favorite new issue from the corner store. Certainly an era that lives only vaguely in our new age high tec mids.

First off, I would like to give a big shout out of kudos to Steve Carey for working with me on this book. First class all the way. This book is going from one very good home to another, but you already knew that. Thanks again. (thumbs u

A few of my fellow forumites have recently had the opportunity to see this book live and in person. Those of you that have... you know why I am "giddy like a school girl" right now. This book is sizzlin', an absolute smoker.

Chicago copy, properly coded on the inside margin of the 16th page and all: :acclaim::cloud9:

MMC29Chicago003.jpg

A few of my fellow forumites have recently had the opportunity to see this book live and in person. Those of you that have... you know why I am "giddy like a school girl" right now.

:hi:

It most certainly is gorgeous!!! :applause:

Edited by adamstrange

A scan will never do it justice. The colors in the saw blade, the blues in the stone floor, the little green men, the purple robes and that killer red logo each just pop out. Congrats Dennis on a great book!

First off, I would like to give a big shout out of kudos to Steve Carey for working with me on this book. First class all the way. This book is going from one very good home to another, but you already knew that. Thanks again. (thumbs u

A few of my fellow forumites have recently had the opportunity to see this book live and in person. Those of you that have... you know why I am "giddy like a school girl" right now. This book is sizzlin', an absolute smoker.

Chicago copy, properly coded on the inside margin of the 16th page and all: :acclaim::cloud9:

*drools* That is amazing! *drools more*

MMC29Chicago003.jpg

Stagedoor,

It was nice meeting you at Chicago forum dinner, and what an amazing book! Absolute stunning copy! I am completely jealous, the color is mezmorizing!

Schommy!

MMC29Chicago003.jpg

MMC29Chicago003.jpg

beaut of a book...saw in SD, and would have been very tempted, had I not of already owned a "decent by comparison' copy..

congrats

gator

A scan will never do it justice. The colors in the saw blade, the blues in the stone floor, the little green men, the purple robes and that killer red logo each just pop out. Congrats Dennis on a great book!

Thanks Richard. You are the man!

I agree, a scan will never do this book justice. It needs to be seen up close, personal, and always kept raw for people to enjoy. It's one of those. I'm fortunate enough to be the present caretaker of a lot of nice books, and this one is right up there. Needless to say... I'm PSYCHED!