• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,063 posts in this topic

Timely was used for less than a year

I personally think Howard Rogofsky coined the term inside fandom

just like it was Howard who pegged Astonish 27 as the "first" ant man in his early catalogs even though there are something like 4 or 5 other tiny man in ant hill stories from around that time

so, what do people think? just how rare is this Marvel funny book?

Gerber ranks Little Tessie as a 5. Some issues of Little Aspirin and Little Lizzie are also rated as 4 or 5. I don't think it is rare but there aren't a lot of issues of that series. I kind of like Tessie the Terminator seen below.

bb

2098697161_d5083ae68f_b.jpg

Good catch.

Apparently Tom Lammers has a copy, since he's credited for the index at GCD.

He (and probably the collective wisdom of the Timely-Atlas yahoo group) didn't guess a cover artist. Interior art is credited to Morris Weiss, Bill Williams and David Gantz. Do you think it's one of them? If I were forced to give an opinion (not likely), I'd say Weiss.

Jack

TinyTessie0024.jpg

TinyTessie0024BACK.jpg

Excuse me, all. I think this is my first time on this thread, but i have come across a new Marvel Timely from 1949 which is new to me. Not boasting, but that is some mean feat these days, as i had to push back into the 1840s to see comic books i had never seen before.

Just how RARE does every one here think this Tiny Tessie 24 is? I think it to be quite scarce at least, considering it is a title i had never seen before and i have been dealing for a little over 40 years now. This is the first one i remember ever seeing, and that goes back decades.

This was the only issue, title change from Tessie 1-23, Overstreet says #25 on were called Real Experiences. So many of those earlier issues with Wolverton's Powerhouse Pepper are so cool, yet so is this.

I got it with a batch of Marvel little kid comics out of a store in Iowa yesterday - titles included Little Lenny, Little Aspirin, Frankie Fuddle and another one i had never seen before Little Lana 9, which ran two issues - if it is OK to post this genre of Marvel here, i will be scanning this LL 9 shortly and could post here - i find some of these variety Goodman books to be fun on what i call the thrill of the hunt. Every time i begin to think i have seen it all from the 40s on up, out pops another stray to get nailed down

didn't that come out after the move from "Timely" to "Marvel"?

Oh boy, "what time did the Golden Age end" reprise.

Tiny Tessie is October 1949. The Marvel circle on the cover was very short-lived.

If it's on a borderline, it's probably Timely/Atlas rather than Timely/Marvel. Some people think that Timely ended with Captain America Comics #75 (Feb. 1950) or else Marvel Mystery Comics #92 and Sub-Mariner Comics #32 (June 1949). The Atlas globe (really more of a distributor's logo) started Nov. 1951.

What do you think? (both you and Bob B)

Jack

Tiny Tessie is October 1949. The Marvel circle on the cover was very short-lived.

If it's on a borderline, it's probably Timely/Atlas rather than Timely/Marvel. Some people think that Timely ended with Captain America Comics #75 (Feb. 1950) or else Marvel Mystery Comics #92 and Sub-Mariner Comics #32 (June 1949). The Atlas globe (really more of a distributor's logo) started Nov. 1951.

Jack

How would Gator know? He hadn't even held a Timely until six months ago.......

Jack

Rick got :flamed:

Score : Bill 1 Rick 0

Ronaldo, it is good to be back on the boards for a while again - thanks for the warm welcome back on a previous thread - i got sidetracked again for a while

Jack, I personally think all this Timely and Atlas moniker stuff is silly - they are all Marvel comics. Just like DC is counted from New Fun #1 up to current

that all said, i do not consider Gerber's SRI numbers worth a damn - never have, never will. Ernie tried hard, but no see-gar in my book on accuracy

All i know is i did not know this existed until i saw it. I am sure a few others have a copy, and here is the other kid Marvel Timely Atlas i found which i also had never seen before, nor did i know it existed up until yesterday.

It is fun to gorge-fest on the World War Two covers, All Select #1 will always be my favorite - and back in 1970 i bought from BilJo White his NM white paper collection run of All Select 1-11 BP 12-22 for the princely sum of ten bucks the first issue, a fiver each for the other 21.

But still, tracking down the truly obscure and rare is half the fun - and this Little Lana as well as the previously posted Tiny Tessie fit that bill for me

LittleLana09.jpg

LittleLana09BACK.jpg

Jack

10 months ago, thank you! and my question was serious...since I am collecting "Timely's", I want the distinction of knowing "when" the Marvel wording came into prominent use...as I have decided not to collect Atlas "Marvels", etc...

:)

I just picked these up from Metro last week. I've been looking for these puppies for quite a long time. John Severin was really one of the best artist of the 50's - no question.

Bill

#3 is a Bethlehem copy - just in time for Christmas!

SGTBB_01a.jpgSGTBB_03a.jpg

I just picked these up from Metro last week. I've been looking for these puppies for quite a long time. John Severin was really one of the best artist of the 50's - no question.

Bill

nice :applause:

[quote=Detective27Kid

10 months ago, thank you! and my question was serious...since I am collecting "Timely's", I want the distinction of knowing "when" the Marvel wording came into prominent use...as I have decided not to collect Atlas "Marvels", etc...

:)

Rick, personally i think they should all be called simply Marvel Comics from Oct 1939 onwards. I always have, i always will.

The Timely desig was only used for a very short period circa 1942, then never again. And it was only used to desig just some of the Marvel titles during World War Two

The Marvel desig like on the Little Lana and Tiny Tessie was equally used for a short period circa 1948-49

The Atlas logo was to desig the distribution company Goodman started up

He still used some 80 corporate cover shields to publish his goods

That all said, why is New Fun #1 considered the first "DC" comic book? Harry Donenfield did not incorporate "Detective Comics" until Dec 1936 with the first title of this then-new corporation being Detective Comics #1 dated March 1937. Yet all the comic books in that umbrella, including the Gaines co-owned AA titles are still considered "DC" by today's standards

I say we move the designation bar for a "Marvel" to include everything Martin Goodman published from Oct 1939 onwards

Bill

those are too sweet, never seen either cover (or heard of the title)

here are some Captain America goodness, this holiday season!

cap2-13.jpg

Great books that #5 in particular looks like it should be owned by a Timely boy :baiting:

yep, happy to have it...would have loved to of saved a few $'s and bought direct from the former owner :baiting: but it is a nice compliment to the run!

Fantastic run, Rick!!! Those early CAP's (#1 to 20) are particularly nice ... love those Avison covers, esp. #17 !

How exactly do you put these impossible runs together overnight?? You must have an underground network or something.