• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,065 posts in this topic

Bob uses a moving average -- though the timeframe and weighting are not disclosed. For arguments sake it may look something like:

Marvel Mystery #X sells for an average of $80 in 2006, $100 in 2007 and $120 in 2008. The 2009 might show a value of $100. If the trend continued then even when the Guide comes out in April it may further be disconnected from the current market as it may be selling for $130. By the end of the year it may sell for $140 and so by the time the 2010 Guide comes out the new value is $120 which, once again, is low.

Just as the weighted value smoothes out the highs and prevents dramatic increases it also smooths out the lows preventing dramatic decreases. This gives the comics market an image of stability since only Overstreet can see that volatility occurring (they are his data and his algorithms). To get a more timely sense of trends you would want to do your own research and take advantage of GPA which provides raw data and some basic tools.

The real algorithms behind the price guide are much more complex as Overstreet is providing lots of price estimates based on very limited sets of data. For example, there might have only been a few sales reported of Marvel Mystery #X, one a raw Poor, another a CGC 5.0 and a third raw f/vf. So even determining the values of Marvel Mystery #X in Good, Fine, Very Fine and NM- are themselves extrapolations upon which other extrapolations depend as there will even be particular issues for which no copies are sold.

I gotta tell ya Adam...that is the best explanation of this mysterious system I have read. (thumbs u

One of today's arrivals--It's beat, but an issue I've never read before :)

He He...he said beat...and it almost looks like torch is well...nevermind.

what, you come out of months of hiding, and this is the post we get :sumo:

Yeah, but would you really expect any less? I have a reputation to uphold here and while most might shurk their responsiblities to ignight a course and crude post...I will not, can not, and most certainly will at every chance I get.

Paulie

One of today's arrivals--It's beat, but an issue I've never read before :)

He He...he said beat...and it almost looks like torch is well...nevermind.

what, you come out of months of hiding, and this is the post we get :sumo:

Yeah, but would you really expect any less? I have a reputation to uphold here and while most might shurk their responsiblities to ignight a course and crude post...I will not, can not, and most certainly will at every chance I get.

Paulie

Good to hear from you Paul :hi:

Reunited with USA #10...some regrets after selling my last copy (Primetime :angel:) One of my favorite Timely covers...

Found this one on eBay and it's a keeper! :headbang:

3195810896_33255ff637_b.jpg

GE

Awesome !! That punch that Cap is layin on that guy with his right hand, looks almost like he hit him by accident

Reunited with USA #10...some regrets after selling my last copy (Primetime :angel:) One of my favorite Timely covers...

GE

Awesome !! That punch that Cap is layin on that guy with his right hand, looks almost like he hit him by accident

nice...I have a 4.0 raw that I had considered upgrading, but the 5.5 on ebay is overpriced and pq is low (tan), so I will stick with my little beater...

but this is a great book (thumbs u

GE

Killer copy Dino! That is probably one of my top 5 Cap covers (thumbs u

GE

nice...I have a 4.0 raw that I had considered upgrading, but the 5.5 on ebay is overpriced and pq is low (tan), so I will stick with my little beater...

I'm sure Mike has some room on his 5.5 Rick...price has dropped from the first time he listed. Plus, it's old label, so you might be able to get a PQ upgrade :)

Got a USA 8 Gator? :baiting:

Edited by Primetime

GE

I'm sure Mike has some room on his 5.5 Rick...price has dropped from the first time he listed. Plus, it's old label, so you might be able to get a PQ upgrade :)

Got a USA 8 Gator? :baiting:

I asked him already...still too rich for my blood

and yes, I have a really nice #8 lol

Some of these were posted in the 2008 buys thread, but I just scanned them for my own records, so here they are again!

marvelmystery26.jpg

You can show this one as many times as you like. And when you are tired of it.... :takeit: