• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

It's interesting that the Timely ads are adorned with jungle and western drawings, not the superheroes. Ka-Zar gets star billing, perhaps was thought to be the best feature? The Sports pulp also contains these risque ads which is a little jarring next to the comic book ads.  

april 1940f.jpg

april 1940g.jpg

Edited by Ameri

On 6/3/2023 at 7:29 AM, Ameri said:

It's interesting that the Timely ads are adorned with jungle and western drawings, not the superheroes. Ka-Zar gets star billing, perhaps was thought to be the best feature? The Sports pulp also contains these risque ads which is a little jarring next to the comic book ads.  

april 1940f.jpg

april 1940g.jpg

I think Ka-Zar was the first pulp Goodman published with a "name" character, while up till that point they were more of an anthology type. He probably had a soft spot for the character. 

On 6/3/2023 at 10:43 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I think Ka-Zar was the first pulp Goodman published with a "name" character, while up till that point they were more of an anthology type. He probably had a soft spot for the character. 

Perhaps Goodman was also skeptical of superheroes at that early stage, which would have been the time of Marvel Mystery 3. He'd figure it out soon enough after his comic book contest results and sales figures came in.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:45 PM, Ameri said:

Perhaps Goodman was also skeptical of superheroes at that early stage, which would have been the time of Marvel Mystery 3. He'd figure it out soon enough after his comic book contest results and sales figures came in.

The Daring Mystery ad is nice. Yes, and Marvel 3 would have been out Nov ‘39. 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, Ameri said:

I agree with you on that and further "evidence" to the fact of not really knowing which characters were selling the mags was that by Marvel Mystery #12, the Angel had the most solo cover appearances, more than even Subby or the Human Torch (5 for the Angel, 4 solo for The Torch, 5 counting the shared Marvel #9 cover). It really was the very beginning for Timely ... and they needed to figure it out as they went along. Sales figures and contest results took time to come in and by looking at the character rosters in the earliest issues of Daring Mystery and Mystic Comics, men in brightly colored tights had a way of being here today, gone later today! 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:37 PM, Mike Bromberg said:

I thought these were pretty cool - modern takes on a couple of classic GA Alex Schomburg covers, Captain America #3 and All Select #4.

B0A41353-137F-4802-ABCB-C027519E9591.jpeg

Those ARE cool Mike!!! What are the interiors like? Are they also reimagined from the originals?

On 5/25/2023 at 4:40 PM, Straw-Man said:

subby42.jpeg

The original plan was to have Namor take on Commies in issue 42 and crooks in issue 43 but when the strip was canceled, Stan had to do a quick rewrite. True story. :insane:

On 6/5/2023 at 5:16 AM, Ameri said:

Love that cover. Oddly GCD says it's a Burgos cover?! Looks like Everett to me.

comic Submariner 34 camera.jpg

Looks Everett to me as well. I like that cover too but wish his ankle wings 🪽 were not omitted.