• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,103 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2024 at 9:48 AM, Ameri said:

The only two issues as a team (1946-1947). These two book-length stories were finally reprinted 20 years later in the Fantasy Masterpieces series, a real mind-blower at the time.  

comic All Winners 19 w splash.JPG

comic all winners 21 & splash.JPG

Fantasy Masterpieces was a game changer for some young lads in the late 60s 😀

On 6/8/2024 at 10:33 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Great stuff Ben. As far as GA Timely stories goes HT #8 is one of the better ones. 

Thanks, Peter. Yes, and the best, large, in your face Torch image by Schomburg. 

On 6/8/2024 at 1:17 PM, Primetime said:

Torch 8 was the first Timely I ever acquired back in 1995. I purchased it from a Steven Smith from Brockton, MA (Steven, are you out there and still collecting?). He was a 9mm film collector as well. I lost touch with him but Steven was also the first person to introduce me to the Gerber Photojournals in 1994. He had a Marvel Mystery 10 for sale at $400 but it was missing the CF. I didn’t know what the heck a Marvel Mystery 10 was or what the cover looked like, so I took his advice and went to my local LCS @A-1 Comics, INC at the time and picked up the GA photojournals. This started my Timely journey as I started studying them like I was studying for the SATs. I did not end up buying the MM10 from Steven, but I would pick up a Torch 8 he graded FN. He sent me a color scan in the mail at that time which I still have all these years. I have attached a photo of it with the horizontal color creases due to it being folded in the mail transit.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the same copy of Torch 8 anymore. The 1996 photo you see of me below of me holding the fortresses had a different copy of Torch 8 which was last seen in a cgc 5.5 holder. That copy has a distinct “N / 7 / 2”  arrival date (July 2) in faded black grease pencil on the T in the Torch logo. I saw it here on the boards posted somewhere about 15 years ago. I’d buy that copy back if it resurfaced (who owns it now?). I got that copy from Jon Bennett as a VF- for $1800 in 1996. That was the same copy in the Sotheby’s auction catalog from 1992(?). Anyways, I decided to get a GA fortress and stick my current copy of Torch 8 in it for nostalgia sake. Thanks @Electronfor the fortress! 

IMG_6972.jpeg

IMG_6970.jpeg

IMG_6975.jpeg

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_7067.jpeg

IMG_7794.jpeg

Great story, thanks for sharing it.