• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,099 posts in this topic

In Praise of Human Torch #1

Back in the old days, I had a run of Torch 2-10 but never obtained the first issue.

As time marched on, I saw more and more of these, and feeling the book was overpriced, never picked one up.

Until the last Heritage Signature Auction:

Torch1.jpg

I specifically targeted this book because it had a very "Larson-like" appearance - foxing and white-to-off-white pages.

Is this book loaded or what? Start with a Schomburg cover, Burgos, Everett, Simon, Gabriele, Reinman, and DeLay art, 1st Toro, last Falcon, Torch and Subby origin in text...Wow.

One very strange thing however, this book (CGC 6.5, Purple) is a full 1/4 inch shorter (vertical length - width is fine) than all my other Timelys. (shrug)

I've seen some weird GA anomalies over the years, with single issues being larger, smaller, manufactured with an extra staple, etc., but was unware of Torch 1 being a "dwarf"...anyone else have experience with this?

In any event.... :banana:

Nice job Steve!!! :headbang: I'm going to have to take a thumb through that issue if its ok with you! I've never had the opportunity to look through it , but i know the interior is an interesting array of oddball characters (similar in some ways to Red Raven I believe).

Feel free to shoot some splash pages if you are so inclined!

Great looking book!

Edited by RyanH

Question for anyone, who was the one "Timely" who started this thread? Just wondering
some would say he is "Mr." Timely ...West S (CGC grader now)... he has and has had some KILLER Timely's through the years...