• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,103 posts in this topic

In Praise of Human Torch #1

Back in the old days, I had a run of Torch 2-10 but never obtained the first issue.

As time marched on, I saw more and more of these, and feeling the book was overpriced, never picked one up.

Until the last Heritage Signature Auction:

Torch1.jpg

I specifically targeted this book because it had a very "Larson-like" appearance - foxing and white-to-off-white pages.

Is this book loaded or what? Start with a Schomburg cover, Burgos, Everett, Simon, Gabriele, Reinman, and DeLay art, 1st Toro, last Falcon, Torch and Subby origin in text...Wow.

One very strange thing however, this book (CGC 6.5, Purple) is a full 1/4 inch shorter (vertical length - width is fine) than all my other Timelys. (shrug)

I've seen some weird GA anomalies over the years, with single issues being larger, smaller, manufactured with an extra staple, etc., but was unware of Torch 1 being a "dwarf"...anyone else have experience with this?

In any event.... :banana:

steve, nice one.

there was a subby 1 for sale recently that looked a good 1/2 inch shorter vertically. it was in a cgc slab, and you should see the space visible between the bottom edge of the book and the bottom edge of the slab. and was mis-cut a little diagonally, too, and thus really looked weird.

Interesting - I looked at many scans of other Torch 1's too, and they pretty much are the same (give or take the standard GA variance).

Torch 1 and Subby 1... :cloud9::cloud9:

oh, yeah, love 'em both. gotta say, i love red raven 1 as well.

Interesting - I looked at many scans of other Torch 1's too, and they pretty much are the same (give or take the standard GA variance).

Torch 1 and Subby 1... :cloud9::cloud9:

oh, yeah, love 'em both. gotta say, i love red raven 1 as well.

got to get me a red raven one day hm

there are only about 13 or so "big, fat" timely #1 issues, and here's one of them. i've always wanted one, but didn't want to spend much. this one was very reasonable.

krazy.jpg

there are only about 13 or so "big, fat" timely #1 issues, and here's one of them. i've always wanted one, but didn't want to spend much. this one was very reasonable.

krazy.jpg

NICE Billy ... I love those Timely Funny Animal comics. Something about those checkerboard patterns...

krazy.jpg

nice...luckily that bug has not bit me yet!

nice...luckily that bug has not bit me yet!

Oh, give it time... (:

Interesting pickup, Billy - that book is Krazy!

thank you, sir. and ricky has just advised me that powerhouse pepper 1 and terry toons 1 are also 'big, fat' timelys, so it's 15, not 13, and two more books are on the list.

In Praise of Human Torch #1

Back in the old days, I had a run of Torch 2-10 but never obtained the first issue.

As time marched on, I saw more and more of these, and feeling the book was overpriced, never picked one up.

Until the last Heritage Signature Auction:

Torch1.jpg

I specifically targeted this book because it had a very "Larson-like" appearance - foxing and white-to-off-white pages.

Is this book loaded or what? Start with a Schomburg cover, Burgos, Everett, Simon, Gabriele, Reinman, and DeLay art, 1st Toro, last Falcon, Torch and Subby origin in text...Wow.

One very strange thing however, this book (CGC 6.5, Purple) is a full 1/4 inch shorter (vertical length - width is fine) than all my other Timelys. (shrug)

I've seen some weird GA anomalies over the years, with single issues being larger, smaller, manufactured with an extra staple, etc., but was unware of Torch 1 being a "dwarf"...anyone else have experience with this?

In any event.... :banana:

Very cool Steve. Looks like a LARSON :grin: Another (thumbs u fabulous funny book score by STEVE.

oops; and Joker 1 as well. so, to summarize, the 'big, fat' timely # 1's are:

MC 1

Daring 1

Mystic 1

Cap 1

Red Raven 1

H.T. 1

Subby 1

All Winners 1

All Select 1

Kid 1

USA 1

Young Allies 1

Miss Fury 1

Tough Kid 1

Joker 1

Krazy 1

P. Pepper 1 and

Terry Toons 1.

i think that's complete. please correct me if i'm wrong on inclusion of any of these, or any omission you're aware of.