• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

georgie28.jpg

Incredible gloss on that bad boy. Congratulations on a real beauty! (thumbs u

thanks! i can't wait to outline the first "g"!

Have Matt do it.

i would only trust that to kenny.

Her left boob needs some highlighting too.

agreed; it's that little there's something about mary thing he's got going that i'll get kenny to work on. the other 3 are good as-is.

I posted this in the # a week thread, but thought you guys might chime in.

Here's some trivia about my #44.

Street date April or May 1943, Creation date... early 1943. I'M guessing Schomburg tied the cover to recent news of German forces retreating from parts of Russia. On Feb 2 - Germans surrender at Stalingrad in the first big defeat of Hitler's armies.

Looks like the Torch was helping the German army gtfo of Russia.

One of the few (or only?) Timely covers with Allied Russian forces.

At this time I believe the largest German plane was Messerschmitt ME-323 Gigant.

"First introduced in 1943, the Me 323 is the six-engine powered version of the Me 321 military glider. It was produced as an answer for Germany’s need for a massive assault aircraft that would also be able to carry vehicles and other heavy equipment."

None survived the war, but they found the mostly complete wreckage of one recently:

Messerschmitt_Me_323_discovered

I'm pretty sure during 1943 Howard Hughes was still working on his huge H-4 Hercules, so the notion of a "Super Plane" wasn't that out there. Years later (1947) Hughes description of his H-4 was pretty crazy. "The Hercules was a monumental undertaking. It is the largest aircraft ever built. It is over five stories tall with a wingspan longer than a football field. That's more than a city block."

Boeing's B-29 Superfortress had it's first flight (21 September 1942)

but wasn't "introduced" until 8 May 1944.

Anyways here's the comic. They seem hard to come by, it took me awhile to even find one.

14438786130_453f883b46_o.jpg

Street date April or May 1943, Creation date... early 1943. I'M guessing Schomburg tied the cover to recent news of German forces retreating from parts of Russia. On Feb 2 - Germans surrender at Stalingrad in the first big defeat of Hitler's armies.

At this time I believe the largest German plane was Messerschmitt ME-323 Gigant.

"First introduced in 1943, the Me 323 is the six-engine powered version of the Me 321 military glider. It was produced as an answer for Germany’s need for a massive assault aircraft that would also be able to carry vehicles and other heavy equipment."

None survived the war, but they found the mostly complete wreckage of one recently:

I'm pretty sure during 1943 Howard Hughes was still working on his huge H-4 Hercules, so the notion of a "Super Plane" wasn't that out there. Years later (1947) Hughes description of his H-4 was pretty crazy. "The Hercules was a monumental undertaking. It is the largest aircraft ever built. It is over five stories tall with a wingspan longer than a football field. That's more than a city block."

Anyways here's the comic. They seem hard to come by, it took me awhile to even find one.

Great book in ANY grade! Tough book to get too!

You find really great low-grade examples of the best books! :applause:

I don't usually get to post in this thread and really don't post a lot of new stuff but this one I'm kind of geeked out about. It is not the prettiest copy and a low grade but it has been one of my two Timely grails. I doubt if I will own a CA 1 which is the other but I have always wanted a Red Raven #1 so I was happy to win this one.

Even with the scuffing, rustiness, moldiness, fading, small slab crack - it's still a Red Raven 1 and the best I could afford (PP credit is great lol so I'll be paying off for a bit on this one but at 6 months, no interest - I thought what the heck)

1311140704421.jpg

I don't usually get to post in this thread and really don't post a lot of new stuff but this one I'm kind of geeked out about. It is not the prettiest copy and a low grade but it has been one of my two Timely grails. I doubt if I will own a CA 1 which is the other but I have always wanted a Red Raven #1 so I was happy to win this one.

Even with the scuffing, rustiness, moldiness, fading, small slab crack - it's still a Red Raven 1 and the best I could afford (PP credit is great lol so I'll be paying off for a bit on this one but at 6 months, no interest - I thought what the heck)

1311140704421.jpg

nice :) was that the overseas copy from Spain that was on ebay?

1311140704421.jpg

:applause:>>> (thumbs u

I was tracking that book, super pick up. Looks like its begging for an upgrade if you had the cover cleaned. Perfect low grade mega key. :applause:

A book I was tracking as well...GREAT addition to the collection my friend glad to see it went to a good home!!! :applause:

Great find on the Red Raven! I don't know why, but I find Red Raven #1 very appealing as well. Kirby's done better covers...

Maybe the variety it brings to Timely covers...

Has anyone read the story?

I've heard a lot of the "experimental" Timely characters and stories before the big 3 were established, were ... not so good.