• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

daring 1 my fave timely cover, but the pulpiest feel imo is this'un.

myst2.jpg

:applause: Love that'n, and Daring #1 is a favorite early Timely too.

Tough call on pulpiest feel though. The early Mystics, Darings and Marvel Mysteries all have killer Schomburg pulp influenced covers.

For instance, this'n originated as a pulp cover swipe (from The Spider, I think).

Then it was swiped again by Syd Shores for the second series of Mystic (Angel cover)...

0d095e49-b0be-4c71-8907-85f57618f186_zpsf46f262f.jpg

For instance, this'n originated as a pulp cover swipe (from The Spider, I think).

Then it was swiped again by Syd Shores for the second series of Mystic (Angel cover)...

Here's the SPIDER cover (June 1939) you refer to... found it on eBay earlier this year. Its not easy to find in any grade!

_57-2_zpswqrk5vl8.jpg

Pure pulp...

daring4.jpg

:applause: Awesome! (worship)

Here's the SPIDER cover (June 1939) you refer to... found it on eBay earlier this year. Its not easy to find in any grade!

_57-2_zpswqrk5vl8.jpg

Fabulous pick-up Ryan! It's also an amazing swipe. :headbang:

The elements Alex chose to use in the Mystic cover are fascinating. Some things are virtually the same, others are moved around or totally different.

BTW, to whom is the Spider cover art attributed? hm

Thanks guys. I have always loved this book but hadn't really thought about upgrading the Larson because the colors are so strong on it. This all fell into place quickly and I am so happy to have it.

And I am very happy for you

BTW, to whom is the Spider cover art attributed? hm

John Newton Howitt

It is rumoured that one day he set fire to all of his pulp cover paintings bonfire-style, as he was ashamed of that phase of his career. True or not, not many of his originals survived to present day.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :o

How I'd love to have had some of those Spider paintings in my collection. :cry:

Here's my copies of the above 4 beauties:

mystic%201%20CGC_zpsyncmbgfl.jpg

unrestored 7.0

mystic%2002%20fixxo_zps9hiqkncl.jpg

5.0 some glue on spine

daring%201%20fixxo_zpsprgeaskn.jpg

Daring%204%20CGC_zpslbtrsxvp.jpg

Sold this copy and kept the 3.0 because the colors were better. This was an unrestored 2.0 with a spine split.

TIMELY%20daring%20mystery%204_zpswgbpvwvm.jpg

:applause: Now that's a [font:Comic Sans MS]Fantastic Four[/font] showing I can really appreciate!

Love the color strike and tight registration on the Mystic #1. (thumbs u

Sweet quad, Frank.

I've always thought of Marvel Mystery 3 as the most pulp-ish Timely cover.

I'll second that, Steve! And you're right, MM #3 does look heavily pulp inspired. hm

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Alex borrowed elements from a horror pulp cover to create this...

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

Maybe someone with a broader knowledge of late 30's horror/crime pulps can find a direct link. searching-019.gif

I'd love to see the pulp cover art that inspired this macabre beauty! :insane:

Thanks guys. I found the seller's description of my old copy and here's some shots of the book. This was bought from a Jest N Fun Comics back in the 90's. The book was literally torn in half and every page was mended :o

"Alex Schomburg’s first cover for Timely, one of the first bondage covers, and sporting a crazy guy with cut off legs wielding an ax to attack The Angel! Typical Timely mayhem from their first year of publication. This is a great looking yet affordable copy of a key Timely. It's an apparent Fine because of page mending that was performed throughout the book. Apparently, there was a bad rip on every page which necessitated rice paper mending. However, each page has been expertly mended and I have included pictures that provide an example of the type of work done. To the naked eye, the restoration is not readily detected. The cover is beautiful, bright and supple as well as the pages, and it does not appear that any other type of restoration outside of the mending was done to the book. I apologize for the dull cover scans, the front and back covers and lettering are much sharper and vibrant than displayed.The reserve is set at the price I paid for it back in 1993. Don't miss this opportunity. Please email me if you have any further questions. Happy bidding!"

marvel%203%20I%20used%20to%20have_zpstxhwvxca.jpg

marvel%203%20repair2_zpslii0kwrw.jpg

marvel%203%20repair1_zpsgh5ds21r.jpg

Sweet quad, Frank.

I've always thought of Marvel Mystery 3 as the most pulp-ish Timely cover.

I'll second that, Steve! And you're right, MM #3 does look heavily pulp inspired. hm

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Alex borrowed elements from a horror pulp cover to create this...

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

Maybe someone with a broader knowledge of late 30's horror/crime pulps can find a direct link. searching-019.gif

I'd love to see the pulp cover art that inspired this macabre beauty! :insane:

As always Cat, your books are just amazing! Man, A legless guy wielding a hatchet with skulls and an evil Buddha robot in the background! Schomburg rules! Edited by Badger

Picked this copy up at a small show yesterday. Graded way back in 2002, the lone 7.5 on the census.

image_zpscwzdcel7.jpg

Very nice and with great page quality! The early marvel Mysterys are almost all instant classic covers. :applause: I love going to small shows and finding something like this. The last small show I went to in Albuquerque had a guy visiting from Colorado with a handful of Timelys. I really didn't expect anything out of the show so I didn't take any cash. He did not take credit cards! :cry: That was more than a decade ago and I still don't take a lot of cash around. At lest the dealers can now take cards at shows. :)

Wait, is that a good thing? :fear: