• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko...
1 1

238 posts in this topic

And now, to get back to an appreciation of Steve Ditko's artwork, I present the covers of Gorgo drawn by Ditko.

Gorgo #2

Gorgo2.jpg

Gorgo #3

Gorgo3.jpg

Gorgo #4

Gorgo4.jpg

This cover is actually the splash page from GORGO #1 with the addition of the small figure riding Gorgo added.

Gorgo #11

Gorgo5.jpg

Gorgo #13

Gorgo6.jpg

Gorgo #15

Gorgo7.jpg

Gorgo #16

Gorgo8.jpg

Return Of Gorgo #2

ReturnOfGorgo2.jpg

And the Ditko covers of KONGA

Konga #4

Konga4.jpg

This cover is actually the splash from KONGA #1 with the addition of the swastikas and the change of clothing (to a German uniform) and mustache on the figure in the foreground, transforming him into Hitler.

Konga #5

Konga5.jpg

Konga #6

Konga6.jpg

Konga #7

Konga7.jpg

Konga #8

Konga8.jpg

Konga #9

Konga9.jpg

Konga #10

Konga10.jpg

Konga #11

Konga11.jpg

Konga's Revenge #2

KongasRevenge2.jpg

When I worked at the Sanai Hospital, I was told that a while back in the 90s, a patient's dying wish was to meet Steve Ditko. When Ditko finally agreed to meet him, after an hour long coversation, the patient asked him to sign the visitor's log as Ditko was leaving. Ditko looked back and furiously said: "All this for my autograph!?! You loosers are all the same!" and stormed out of the building...

Here is the 25 cent Charlton which reprinted GORGO #1 and KONGA #1 as well as two newly drawn stories.

Fantastic Giants #24

FantasticGiants24.jpg

Always loved this cover for the way Ditko portrayed himself with the inkwell head.

A quirky little character with pen and pencil! :applause:

Ditko should stick to drawing...

As flawed as I find his logic to be, I disagree. I enjoy philosphical arguments as long as it is generally understood that neither party is likely to change their mind and the arguments can be kept civil.

The single constant thread in all of his arguments is A=A and that A never changes. There is no evolution, no changing of one's mind, lest A≠A. I am willing to listen to (read) his arguments and he seems willing to at least give mine the once over. We disagree, but the conversation is what is important, not where it leads.

I wonder if anybody on this board is friends with him, or has an address to write to him or something. I don't know.

You'd have better luck getting in touch with Kirby.

Ditko is easy to contact, much harder to win over......

And now, to get back to an appreciation of Steve Ditko's artwork, I present the covers of Gorgo drawn by Ditko.

Gorgo #3

Gorgo3.jpg

Gorgo #11

Gorgo5.jpg

Poor ol' Gorgo needs one of those PediPaws nail trimmers, doesn't he?

Great set of covers!

Jack

And here is the cover for Blue Beetle #6, which didn't see publication by Charlton. It was published by CPL/Gang in Charton Portfolio 9 &10 in 1974, six years after Blue Beetle #5. It was reprinted in the DC hardcover Archive Edition of The Action Heroes Volume 2.

BlueBeetle6.jpg

I wonder if anybody on this board is friends with him, or has an address to write to him or something. I don't know.

I agree, he is actually very easy to contact, and even meet. My father contacted him last year on a realstate sale in Western Wyoming, Ditko agreed to see the site, he said he wanted to build some sort of center for Youth counseling, headed by 2 of his nephews. As the arquitects were setting up to meet with the topographers in the 2 acre project, they needed Mr Ellington's and Ditko's approval for the funding. A meeting was set up between the developers, the arquitects, the project managers and, of course, Ellington and Ditko. As everyone was signing the final draft of the prjoect in the June meeting, when Ellington passed Ditko the contract for the final signature.. Ditko looked at it, while still holding it, looked back at Ellington, looked at the contract, and kept doing this back and forth...until he threw the contract on the groung and said: "If you guys think it's going to be this easy to get my autograph..boy! You are sadly mistaken!!"... " No Autographs! Stop hounding me!"... "No exceptions!"... he then calmly walked out the room. Everyone was speechless, yes... it's 'much harder to win over'

Is that actually true?

I'm rollin' in laughter here. Ditko's a genius! haha.

I agree, he is actually very easy to contact, and even meet. My father contacted him last year on a realstate sale in Western Wyoming, Ditko agreed to see the site, he said he wanted to build some sort of center for Youth counseling, headed by 2 of his nephews. As the arquitects were setting up to meet with the topographers in the 2 acre project, they needed Mr Ellington's and Ditko's approval for the funding. A meeting was set up between the developers, the arquitects, the project managers and, of course, Ellington and Ditko. As everyone was signing the final draft of the prjoect in the June meeting, when Ellington passed Ditko the contract for the final signature.. Ditko looked at it, while still holding it, looked back at Ellington, looked at the contract, and kept doing this back and forth...until he threw the contract on the groung and said: "If you guys think it's going to be this easy to get my autograph..boy! You are sadly mistaken!!"... " No Autographs! Stop hounding me!"... "No exceptions!"... he then calmly walked out the room. Everyone was speechless, yes... it's 'much harder to win over'

Guys read back on this thread, I just randonmly make these posts up, for a cheap laugh. THEY ARE NOT true, it's simply me trying to make a Ditko signature into something rather unique nowadays... I'll post another in a few...maybe...

Guys read back on this thread, I just randonmly make these posts up, for a cheap laugh. THEY ARE NOT true, it's simply me trying to make a Ditko signature into something rather unique nowadays... I'll post another in a few...maybe...

Yeah but this last one was very well done! Even I bought into it! lol

lol, I agree with MedicAR, I read your others n knew you were joking but you seemed so serious and convincing in this ridiculous story, lmao.

Yeah but this last one was very well done! Even I bought into it! lol

Ya mean that kid dying in the hospital is really ok? :baiting: