• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko...
1 1

238 posts in this topic

Yup. I know. That was the only time he ever got it right

Probably because Ditko inked it ;)

That's what I thought too but couldn't remember for sure. It definitely wasn't normal Kirby for the time.

(thumbs u

Yup.

Really, how much did Kirby actually do on the cover? We don't know.

He could have done very detailed and complete pencils. Or he could have just made a sitck figure to reflect the pose, and Ditko actually create the image. When there is a different penciller and inker, there isn't always a way to determine how much of the artwork came from one artist or another.

That's what I thought too but couldn't remember for sure. It definitely wasn't normal Kirby for the time.

(thumbs u

Spidey was on character Kirby just couldn't master. He drew Spidey in one FF story and it was pretty brutal - and this coming from a Kirby fan

To Tony D:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the covers you've posted. Many of them I haven't seen before.

And to some of the other posters:

Yeah, that is another part of Ditko's appeal to those of us that adore his art. He actually studied drapery as part of his drawing skills; clothes hung from people in a normal manner, everybody wasn't walking around with skin tight apparel all the time. Suits, dresses, and blouses had realistic folds and wrinkles with a natural form beneath. Harder to draw than the constant nude with skin tight spandex (whether in street clothes or super hero costume) as evidenced by many an artist.

And then there's his ability to create mood with shadows and composition, Peter Parker sitting on his bed at night, beset with troubles, with the moonlight shining through the horizontal blinds on his window. All done with a minimal of ink brush (not pen) strokes. One look, in person, at his original art shows what a skilled master artist can evoke with simple elegant strokes. Gives me chills every time I look at the framed example on my wall. :)

And don't get me started on Ditko's ability to show tone, gradations, and modeling with just the two values black and white.

-just my opinion...

Edited by ucleben

Here are today's Ditko Charlton covers.

Continuing the run of Strange Suspense Stories, post code.

Strange Suspense Stories #31

StrangeSuspenseStories31.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories #32

StrangeSuspenseStories32.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories #33

StrangeSuspenseStories33.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories #34

StrangeSuspenseStories34.jpg

Strange Suspense Sories #35

StrangeSuspenseStories35.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories #37

StrangeSuspenseStories37.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories #40

StrangeSuspenseStories40.jpg

Well,I am happy to confess to being a Ditko fan, and thanks a lot for the scans - books I have not seen before, many of which have now found their way into my long-suffering want list.

As an aside, an observation and question regarding the "Insanity" cover. Is it significant that both characters on the cover have all of their "pinky fingers" extended? Is this some sort of 50's in joke or something like a secret handshake?

Further, if anyone reading this gets a chance to see some original Ditko pages, do yourself a favour and take a long, slow look. I have seen some early Spidey's and I have yet to see anything that approaches them in terms of the "cleanliness" of the ink line, the almost total lack of pencil remnants and the complete absence of white-out/paste-ups.They are truly not just very pretty pages, but technically fantastic.

Tony

Do you have daring love 1 and fantastic fears 5?

Yes, I have both of them. I didn't post either because neither has a Ditko cover, only interior stories. I haven't scanned the cover of Fantastic Fears #5 yet but here's the cover of Daring Love #1.

DaringLove1.jpg

Tony

Yes, I have both of them. I didn't post either because neither has a Ditko cover, only interior stories. I haven't scanned the cover of Fantastic Fears #5 yet but here's the cover of Daring Love #1.

DaringLove1.jpg

That guy's grippin' that hay pretty hard... :o

Tony

DaringLove1.jpg

Making some hay, I guess. :whistle:

Tony

DaringLove1.jpg

The old roll in the hay cover

that guy's head could be Ditko, no? could he have pencilled the cover? or is the artists known?

Looks like Ditko inks at the very least or even pencils with some unkown inker. Very Ditkoesque....

Tony

DaringLove1.jpg

So Tony what dont you have?You never see that Daring Love 1.I have a rag copy.Yours is the second one I have seen.