• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko...
1 1

238 posts in this topic

Ready for a new batch of Ditko pre-code covers?

Space Adventures #10

SpaceAdventures100001.jpg

Space Adventures #11

SpaceAdventures100002.jpg

Space Adventures #12

SpaceAdventures100003.jpg

Racket Squad In Action #11

RacketSquad11.jpg

Racket Squad In Action #12

RacketSquad12.jpg

And now, some post code Ditko done for Charlton.

Mysteries Of Unexplored Worlds #3

MysteriesOfUnexploredWorlds3b.jpg

Mysteries Of Unexplored Worlds #4

MysteriesOfUnexploredWorlds4.jpg

Mysteries Of Unexplored Worlds #5

MysteriesOfUnexploredWorlds5.jpg

Mysteries Of Unexplored Worlds #6

MysteriesOfUnexploredWorlds6.jpg

Mysteries Of Unexplored Worlds #10

MysteriesOfUnexploredWorlds10.jpg

Mysteries Of Unexplored Worlds #11

MysteriesOfUnexploredWorlds11.jpg

Some more post code Ditko Chaltons.

Tales Of The Mysterious Traveler #3

MysteriousTraveler3.jpg

Tales Of The Mysterious Traveler #4

MysteriousTraveler4.jpg

Tales Of The Mysterious Traveler #5

MysteriousTraveler5.jpg

Tales Of The Mysterious Traveler #6

MysteriousTraveler6.jpg

Tales Of The Mysterious Traveler #10

MysteriousTraveler10.jpg

Tales Of The Mysterious Traveler #11

MysteriousTraveler11.jpg

Continuing the post code Ditko Charltons

Out Of This World #11

OutOfThisWorld11.jpg

Out Of This World #12

OutOfThisWorld12.jpg

Out Of This World #16

OutOfThisWorld16.jpg

This cover is a composite of interior panels.

Outer Space #21

OuterSpace21.jpg

Is the JIM 58 an FF1 cover prototype? Kinda resembles it...

Could be. You have to remember that there is only so many poses a Green monster can be in around humans.

lol

A lot of ideas were rehashed over the decades.

Good catch though!

I don't want to sound offensive but what is it about Ditko that you all like?

Personally it takes an effort for me every time I look at it. I don't soak it in...I kind of analyze it to see why he did things a certain way...so I don't really find his work entertaining as much as I find it tedious to look at...not in a bad way...just in a "it takes a little work" way.

I get Kirby. I get Adams. I get Everett and Wood and Fine and a lot of guys I never used to get. Can someone help me "get Ditko"?

hm

78595.jpg.281bc2776218ea0103a530def4705ceb.jpg

Personally it takes an effort for me every time I look at it. I don't soak it in...I kind of analyze it to see why he did things a certain way...so I don't really find his work entertaining as much as I find it tedious to look at...not in a bad way...just in a "it takes a little work" way.

I get Kirby. I get Adams. I get Everett and Wood and Fine and a lot of guys I never used to get. Can someone help me "get Ditko"?

hm

To be honest with you, I sort of feel the same way. I have a hard time understanding why many rave about ditko. As a kid, I actually detested his stuff, almost in the way that I didn't like SIENKIEWICZ (yet. some folks call him a genius). I classify his work compared to other greats as sort of analogous to charlton vs dc or marvel, if that makes any sense. While some of the stuff might be uniquely cool, as a whole it is just not on the same plane as the leaders.

That being said, although I'm not the greatest fan of his penciling,I do think his work was loaded with creativity; especially looking back at dr. strange, and some of his background mileu as well as the mansion artifacts. It seems that he must have visited a lot of unique museums and cureo shops over his lifetime.

hm

I knew I wasn't the only one! :hi:

hm

I knew I wasn't the only one! :hi:

If you don't "get Ditko" that's your personal taste. I have no arguement with you.

I find his work expressive and interesting. The facial expressions and body positions are, IMO, unique. I like the way he tells a story with his illustrations. Look at this splash page from 2-GUN WESTERN #4, it is interestingly laid out and his figures are well designed.

TheBadmenpg1.jpg

hm

I don't know how one can "get" Kirby and not "get" Ditko. :o

hm

To have pencilled Spidey is enough for me. I love the Ditko "skinny" Spiderman on the top of the AF15 splash page with the adjacent "blazing red" Spider-Man letters (big to small) with an exclamation point! To me, it just doesn't get any better than that!!! Iconic, illustrative, imaginative, and introductory..

"I asked Steve to draw Spider-Man. And he did. And the rest is history".

- Stan the Man

Does this help alter yer mind thinking Roy?

hm

To have pencilled Spidey is enough for me. I love the Ditko "skinny" Spiderman on the top of the AF15 splash page with the adjacent "blazing red" Spider-Man letters (big to small) with an exclamation point! To me, it just doesn't get any better than that!!! Iconic, illustrative, imaginative, and introductory..

"I asked Steve to draw Spider-Man. And he did. And the rest is history".

- Stan the Man

Does this help alter yer mind thinking Roy?

Exactly. Ditko's "skinny" Spider-Man was essential to the character. Otherwise, if he were super muscled, he would have been like every other superhero. Unfortunately, they went down that route anyway. Even Romita Sr. totally changed the essence of the character (for the worse in my opinion). Today, Spidey is the opposite of what made the character interesting to begin with. A very bland character.

I get Ditko's Spidey. Kirby couldn't do Spidey to save his life...what I don't get is everything else Ditko...but maybe it has to do with me being a Superhero junky and all.

R.

Remember Roy that Kirby did the AF15 cover. The front cover Spidey was totally opposite than the inside Spidey (in comparing artwork vs. artwork) but still likable enough to sell the book.

Yup. I know. That was the only time he ever got it right.

You're talking to a Marvel Zombie here. Born and bred. Before the GA stuff I now collect I ate and breathed SA and BA Marvel.

Still, Ditko did capture Spidey...lithe, fluid, even almost frail at times. It was a good take on him to be sure.

I did always admire the way Ditko draped clothing. What I didn't get is why everyone had such a big index finger.

:baiting: