• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.6/9.8 Quick Quiz

Which Is The 9.8?  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is The 9.8?

40 posts in this topic

I just got my last submission back from CGC today and was generally pleased with what I got back. I'd managed to eliminate anything below a 9.6 on all moderns, and had just over a 50% success rate at 9.8s (6 x 9.8 and 5 x 9.6).

Here is where I fall down on my grading - the 9.8 cutoff. Now I've listed two books which I'd estimated one as a 9.6 and one as a 9.8. They did come back like that, only the opposite way round to what I expected. I've included scans of both books (didn't get BC scans before I submitted them - but the BCs are as tight as the FCs), so would just like to see where the general concesus lies on which book is the 9.6 and which one is the 9.8.

Poll at the bottom of the post (thumbs u

Batman #686 Sketch cover.

Batman686SketchVariant.jpg

ASB&R #8 RRP

ASBR8NealAdamsSketchRRP.jpg

Personally I think from those scans there looks like a significant difference between the books. Then again I had them in hand so maybe it stands out to me more.

I don't believe it is possible to tell the difference betwen a 9.6 and a 9.8 from a scan.

Yes, but you CAN tell from the scans that the ASBR #8 has an obvious CB spine tick and an impacted top corner. No way I would grade that a 9.8. Period.

I don't believe it is possible to tell the difference betwen a 9.6 and a 9.8 from a scan.

Yes, but you CAN tell from the scans that the ASBR #8 has an obvious CB spine tick and an impacted top corner. No way I would grade that a 9.8. Period.

I agree, I also think that the Batman book is not a good book to be compared to from a scan, so busy and the white cover make it hard to notice defects.

Since you posted the question I am going to guess the Batman came in at 9.6 and the ASBR #8 came back as the 9.8.

Bruce

Yep it obviously was the reverse psychology. In hand I honestly thought the #686 was a 9.8, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. But I too had the ASBR down as a 9.4/9.6.

Now I'm pretty sure that I'll never be able to nail a 9.8 100% certain. I know this is where pre-screens come in, but with the shipping charges to the States and back going through the roof it's just not financially viable.

Apologies for the scans, my scanner doesn't do slabs very well.

Batman686SketchCGC.jpg

ASBR8RRPCGC.jpg

This is why I though the Batman was the 9.6. could be a pencil mark from the cover or a stress mark. I dunno, but that was what made me guess this was the 9.6

batman.jpg

As for the All Star Batman & Robin, I've had 9.8's with white specs before and small corner bends, though not that bad.