• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggested comic book reading from 7/8 yo's boys and girls

66 posts in this topic

You are old.

:baiting:

Damnit, I've looked at actuarial tables, I still have almost the whole other half of my life to look forward to!

Being old and infirm...

Thanks TJ, now I'm gonna go eat cyanide. :P

A small word of warning...

My 10 year old son was recently reading a Futarama comic.

No big deal, it's a cartoon...what could go wrong.

He then shows me an ad in it for a PS3 video game...let's just say the ad should not have been in a all ages book.

100_0547.jpg

I've donated dozens of modern stuff at my son's primary school, and I've always had to check the ads.

Regards.

I'm of the opinion that it is stuff like this is one of the reasons comic book sales aren't what they used to be. I'm not a big fan of the old comic code authority, but examples like this make me wonder...

Back to the original post, anything Silver age through bronze is probably acceptable. I bought my friend's boy some of those collected ASM trades, the ones that had the first 20 or so issues, and he loved them. He didn't like to read until he was exposed to some "fun" reading like comics. He makes all A's and B's in school now.

When my sister was still teaching (4th grade), I went into her class near the end of the year to do a comic book presentation.

Here's what I'd suggest....look for cartoon books (Spongebob, Disney, Power Puff girls, Batman Adventures, etc...). But, with all the movies that have come out, they should know most of the standard comic characters anyway.

Before you give any books away, I'd send a permission letter home to the parents and have them sign-off on it. Most people don't give a rat's behind, but better safe than sorry.

Take in some graded books to pass around. You wo't have to worry about them crunching the spines (Hulk #181 was always a big hit).

Tell them how much some books cost (Action 1, Tec 27, AF 15, etc..). They always seem to get a kick out of that.

I'd always hold a raffle of some sort for a "big prize" (a Marvel Essentials or something like that).

Also, if you are going to give books out, draw #'s. Assign each book an individual #. What you draw is what you get. Makes it totally random, and less upset kids b/c of it. Let them work out trades themselves.

My son who just turned 8 reads ScoodyDoo, Uncle Scrooge, Batman animated series, Incredibles, selected Spidey stuff and his favorite The Flintstones. There are a few others but for some reason I can't remember them.

I skimmed Owly in a bookstore last year. Didn't care for it.

Bought KORGI a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, especially volume 2. Check it out. (thumbs u

What age would you recommend for this book? Looks interesting!

My son is five and he really, really digs Scooby Doo, more so than Batman Strikes, Marvel Adventures Spider-man, or Cartoon Network Action Pack (I think that's the title, it's the one with Ben 10, who I'm convinced will be his generation's Spidey). I guess 7 and 8 year-olds might have a slightly more sophisticated taste...I'll get back to you in two years!

P.S. The guy who runs my LCS says the Warriors American-style manga series is a big hit. It's something to do with talking cats.

My eight year old daughter DEVOURS LIttle Lulu. I think she can relate to Lulu. She also very much likes SpongeBob Squarepants.

A mistake that people often do with this age group is talking down to them - bring them stuff that is interesting and well written, and they'll read it. Little Lulu, Uncle Scrooge, anything.

My kids adored Teen Titans Go! Although I think it's now discontinued. My kids are pretty quirky and funny and the run was hilarious to read as Beast Boy provided comic relief for the team.

R.

He then shows me an ad in it for a PS3 video game...let's just say the ad should not have been in a all ages book.

100_0547.jpg

I've donated dozens of modern stuff at my son's primary school, and I've always had to check the ads.

Regards.

Hi guys,

I'll be helping out once a week with numeracy at my son's primary school for the rest of the year and I wanted to infiltrate their impressionable young minds with comic book art and stories... er... I mean... wanted to introduce them to the wonderful world of comic books, at the end of the lesson. The class is coed and the kids are ages 7 and 8.

What do you guys recommend in the way of comics? I want to have one title for the boys and one for the girls, and preferably ongoing ones that I can buy each month for them - suggestions?

My son is into all types of comics, so I can't really use him as a litmus paper for the rest. And I want particular advice making sure whatever is chosen for the girls is something they'll stick with and like (contrary to the boys who would all probably be happy with anything super-hero).

May I ask exactly what is 'offensive" about this ad? Think back when you were a child of 10, I know you saw something more horrific and scarring than this silly image when you were that age. Sometimes I think we have become way too over protective as a society.

Jim

100_0547.jpg

Regards.

Hi guys,

I'll be helping out once a week with numeracy at my son's primary school for the rest of the year and I wanted to infiltrate their impressionable young minds with comic book art and stories... er... I mean... wanted to introduce them to the wonderful world of comic books, at the end of the lesson. The class is coed and the kids are ages 7 and 8.

What do you guys recommend in the way of comics? I want to have one title for the boys and one for the girls, and preferably ongoing ones that I can buy each month for them - suggestions?

My son is into all types of comics, so I can't really use him as a litmus paper for the rest. And I want particular advice making sure whatever is chosen for the girls is something they'll stick with and like (contrary to the boys who would all probably be happy with anything super-hero).

May I ask exactly what is 'offensive" about this ad? Think back when you were a child of 10, I know you saw something more horrific and scarring than this silly image when you were that age. Sometimes I think we have become way too over protective as a society.

Jim

You're right, "Mr. I've Never Seen a Gun." :baiting:

100_0547.jpg

Regards.

Hi guys,

Jim

I thought that whole run of ads was super creepy. Kids are supposed to see kids as kids not as monsters. I believe it ruins their innocence at too young an age.

100_0547.jpg

Regards.

Hi guys,

Jim

Its not so much that the ad is offensive, its just that the ad is rather startling. I've never seen it before and it made me a little jumpy, I can only imagine how a kid in elementary school would re-act. Most elementary school's I've seen don't even carry Goosebumps, so I doubt this would fly there too.

Anyhow.

For younger kids, Archie comics are an obvious choice. So is Bone, Little Lulu, Casper The Friendly Ghost, Richie Rich, heck almost anything from the Harvey and Disney comic line. Tin Tin is also a good choice, and there's plenty of manga out there too that's aimed at younger kids, such as Pokemon, Zelda, Bakugan, and Naruto.

Bought KORGI a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, especially volume 2. Check it out. (thumbs u

Korgi is created for all ages in mind. Ideal child age would be in the 6-15 year old range as they should be great for it! (thumbs u

100_0547.jpg

Regards.

Hi guys,

Jim

I thought that whole run of ads was super creepy. Kids are supposed to see kids as kids not as monsters. I believe it ruins their innocence at too young an age.

If this ad destroys a child's innocence, god help us all. You know what'll destroy a childs innocence? Divorce will, so will two parents working, while kids are then shuffled to regular school, then daycares, then the babysitters. That's what destroys a childs innocence yet 50% of married couples do it (get divorced), nobody is thinking of what THAT is doing to the childs psyche. People latch onto stupid things like this ad, and pound their chest because they are good parents by protecting their children through censorship. That doesn't make a good parent. I guarantee that if you spend quality time with your children and teach them strong values, that no matter what they are exposed they will always remain "innocent".

Jim

Korgi is created for all ages in mind. Ideal child age would be in the 6-15 year old range as they should be great for it! (thumbs u

Thank you!

Now I'm going to crawl under my desk as that little girl is super-creepy looking. Seriously, that's not something you insert into a kid's comic.

100_0547.jpg

Regards.

Hi guys,

Jim

If this ad destroys a child's innocence, god help us all. You know what'll destroy a childs innocence? Divorce will, so will two parents working, while kids are then shuffled to regular school, then daycares, then the babysitters. That's what destroys a childs innocence yet 50% of married couples do it (get divorced), nobody is thinking of what THAT is doing to the childs psyche. People latch onto stupid things like this ad, and pound their chest because they are good parents by protecting their children through censorship. That doesn't make a good parent. I guarantee that if you spend quality time with your children and teach them strong values, that no matter what they are exposed they will always remain "innocent".

Jim

Well consider me a chest pounding divorced parent then.

:baiting:

I agree with you on divorce but sometimes there are no other options. Nuff said on that.

I'm a very visual person, as are my kids. When I see something I basically never forget it. A 10 year old doesn't need to see an image like that. My kids would never forget it and I would prefer not to have their imaginations stretched in such a manner at such a young age. There will be plenty of time for that after their formative years.

R.