• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggested comic book reading from 7/8 yo's boys and girls

66 posts in this topic

A small word of warning...

My 10 year old son was recently reading a Futarama comic.

No big deal, it's a cartoon...what could go wrong.

He then shows me an ad in it for a PS3 video game...let's just say the ad should not have been in a all ages book.

100_0547.jpg

I'm 37 and that picture creeped ME out when I first saw it.

This will be Dice's new avatar in 4, 3, 2, 1...

:whistle:

I believe that the Tintin hold up very well and each story has not only an adventure slant but also a mystery slant which is attractive to kids that age. There's a series of collected albums, 3 to a book for a very reasonable price out there. Here's a link to one on Amazon but I believe any LCS can order them too -

The Broken Ear / The Black Island / King Ottokar's Sceptre Tintin Adventures

I'm a very visual person, as are my kids. When I see something I basically never forget it. A 10 year old doesn't need to see an image like that. My kids would never forget it and I would prefer not to have their imaginations stretched in such a manner at such a young age. There will be plenty of time for that after their formative years.

R.

Amen!

That photo is just NOT RIGHT for kids to be running across. If our society has gotten so numb to what is appropriate for kids versus young adults (and it has), we have even greater hurdles allowing them to be innocent children and learn about the world over time.

Not trying to be over-sensitive, but sorry. With two little boys that's one of the last images I want them remembering in the middle of the night and come screaming into my bedroom.

I'm a very visual person, as are my kids. When I see something I basically never forget it. A 10 year old doesn't need to see an image like that. My kids would never forget it and I would prefer not to have their imaginations stretched in such a manner at such a young age. There will be plenty of time for that after their formative years.

R.

Amen!

That photo is just NOT RIGHT for kids to be running across. If our society has gotten so numb to what is appropriate for kids versus young adults (and it has), we have even greater hurdles allowing them to be innocent children and learn about the world over time.

Not trying to be over-sensitive, but sorry. With two little boys that's one of the last images I want them remembering in the middle of the night and come screaming into my bedroom.

I made sure that as soon as I got home that I showed my wife this thread, with her being an educator and child behaviour expert whom graduated at the very top of her class, I knew she would know the right answer. Anyways she was more excited by post, because it proved to her that I actually had been listening to her all these years :). Her stance was very similar to mine, and wanted Bosco to know that a child has nightmares or night terrors from insecurities, uncertainty and trust issues, not from any image they may have seen.

Jim

I skimmed Owly in a bookstore last year. Didn't care for it.

Bought KORGI a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, especially volume 2. Check it out. (thumbs u

What age would you recommend for this book? Looks interesting!

Korgi is created for all ages in mind. Ideal child age would be in the 6-15 year old range as they should be great for it! (thumbs u

I got Korgi (I hear the guy that created Korgi is some Daredevil loving maniac) for my nine year old daughter and she loved it. She is also reading an 8 part adaptation of Wizard of Oz and she really liked the Spider-man loves Mary Jane vol 1 and 2.

My son is 6 and he is reading DC Superfriends and we were reading the Shazam books but they seemed to stop at number 2 for some reason.

Owly is alright my son and daughter have read them or I should say looked through them and they both liked them but they weren't super excited about them.

That maniac part is just a joke....

Danny

Bought KORGI a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, especially volume 2. Check it out. (thumbs u

Korgi is created for all ages in mind. Ideal child age would be in the 6-15 year old range as they should be great for it! (thumbs u

I got Korgi (I hear the guy that created Korgi is some Daredevil loving maniac) for my nine year old daughter and she loved it. She is also reading an 8 part adaptation of Wizard of Oz and she really liked the Spider-man loves Mary Jane vol 1 and 2.

My son is 6 and he is reading DC Superfriends and we were reading the Shazam books but they seemed to stop at number 2 for some reason.

Owly is alright my son and daughter have read them or I should say looked through them and they both liked them but they weren't super excited about them.

Danny

I think we are all maniacs on here! :insane:

But yes, I'm totally reading the hell outta Daredevil! :devil:

On issue 240ish....still numb from how unbelievable the "Born Again" arc was!

Thanks for picking up Korgi! (thumbs u

Now I gotta get off the boards and back into my drawing chair so I can get the 3rd one done!

Danny

I think we are all maniacs on here! :insane:

But yes, I'm totally reading the hell outta Daredevil! :devil:

On issue 240ish....still numb from how unbelievable the "Born Again" arc was!

Thanks for picking up Korgi! (thumbs u

Now I gotta get off the boards and back into my drawing chair so I can get the 3rd one done!

I was going to ask about a third book....good to know.

I am sitting here watching my auction and reading a few Daredevils just incase they go bye bye.

I have been jumping around and alot of what I have read in the 300's has been a little pathetic.

R.

Amen!

I made sure that as soon as I got home that I showed my wife this thread, with her being an educator and child behaviour expert whom graduated at the very top of her class, I knew she would know the right answer. Anyways she was more excited by post, because it proved to her that I actually had been listening to her all these years :). Her stance was very similar to mine, and wanted Bosco to know that a child has nightmares or night terrors from insecurities, uncertainty and trust issues, not from any image they may have seen.

Jim

I'll have to disagree.

Every time I had nightmares as a kid my parents would throw out my comics and the nightmares would go away. It happened multiple times as a kid.

I'm not doubting that your wife is not good at what she does, I'm saying that uncertainty or trust issues are only part of the story.

I did not have a great relationship with my parents so I used escapism to deal with it...still do.

:insane:

Thing is, how do images enter into our minds? Kids don't know what monsters, sex or mutilation looks like until they are either shown a picture or taught verbally.

I will have to disagree with you on this. Showing a child images that they are not ready to handle open doors in their minds and once that is done they can't close them. Ever.

Better to open a door when a person is ready to handle what is on the other side than when they are still learning and experiencing the simple things in life.

It's called maturity and it CAN happen too quickly no matter how good of a parent you are.

R.

I appreciate your wife's expert opinion Jim - I truly do. But I would never give that comic to my little kids and feel comfortable. It's putting the time into allowing them grow gradually versus throwing things like that at them that can make the difference between balanced, healthy minds and Marvel Comics collectors. Okay, only kidding about Marvel Comic collectors being off-balanced.

Out of curiousity, do you and the wife have children?

My last point on the subject...doesn't anybody see the irony here? We are suggesting that a 10 year old to read Little Lulu, if we were reading Little Lulu when we were ten years old, we wouldn't be on these boards today. We would be so emotionally scarred from being teased and tormented by our peers and the resident school bully. :). We are trying to create life long readers and fans of the art, not make them run for the hills. And that's my point, adults sometimes forget what it was like to be ten years old and in many instances don't give them enough credit.

Jim

My last point on the subject...doesn't anybody see the irony here? We are suggesting that a 10 year old to read Little Lulu, if we were reading Little Lulu when we were ten years old, we wouldn't be on these boards today. We would be so emotionally scarred from being teased and tormented by our peers and the resident school bully. :). We are trying to create life long readers and fans of the art, not make them run for the hills. And that's my point, adults sometimes forget what it was like to be ten years old and in many instances don't give them enough credit.

Jim

Yup, I see the irony for sure. What is important to point out is that sex, violence and graphic representation of the two is on a whole new level than it was 20-25 years ago when we were tikes.

Most of it was off screen and innuendo when compared to today I think. Maybe I'm looking at my past with rose colored glasses, maybe not. It was more *real* than *surreal* (for a comic book) as I remember it.

I understand it's all relative (exposure to things) but man, that run of ads freaked my right out and still do. S'all I'm going to say about that, Tar Heel.

Jim

Jim, I hear your point. But I asked a friendly question - do you have children and therefore can relate to how sometimes we crazy parents can be slightly protective?

Jim

Jim, I hear your point. But I asked a friendly question - do you have children and therefore can relate to how sometimes we crazy parents can be slightly protective?

Jim's got three terrific kids.

Jim's got three terrific kids.

Then he has to realize as a parent there are going to be times when you see things like that ad and no matter what someone theorizes, it doesn't matter. There's enough violence on TV that even minor cartoons surprise you once in a while what they toss out on the screen (Sponge Bob taking a hammer to someone's head - which is very un-Sponge Bob-like).

So great points, but that's my final statement on this topic, but I appreciate the opposite viewpoint. Someone wants to experiment with their kids with ads like that - have at it.

my son loves CN cartoon networks action packed & block party they feature all the cartoon network characters that he knows from telivision like Ben 10, Chowder, Etc

Ben 10 is this generation`s Spider-man.

And it was created by 4 comic book writers! :applause:

my son loves CN cartoon networks action packed & block party they feature all the cartoon network characters that he knows from telivision like Ben 10, Chowder, Etc

Ben 10 is this generation`s Spider-man.

I have even enjoyed those Ben 10 cartoons. It's like a modern day Dial "H" for Hero. (thumbs u