• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggested comic book reading from 7/8 yo's boys and girls

66 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'll be helping out once a week with numeracy at my son's primary school for the rest of the year and I wanted to infiltrate their impressionable young minds with comic book art and stories... er... I mean... wanted to introduce them to the wonderful world of comic books, at the end of the lesson. The class is coed and the kids are ages 7 and 8.

What do you guys recommend in the way of comics? I want to have one title for the boys and one for the girls, and preferably ongoing ones that I can buy each month for them - suggestions?

My son is into all types of comics, so I can't really use him as a litmus paper for the rest. And I want particular advice making sure whatever is chosen for the girls is something they'll stick with and like (contrary to the boys who would all probably be happy with anything super-hero).

I tried new Archie comics with my daughter last year (she turned 9 back in January), and they went absolutely nowhere. Then, a month or so ago, I gave her a "Spongebob" comic book (it's magazine-sized; I have no idea who publishes it) that I got on a whim at the grocery store, and she LOVED it. She's read it three or four times since then, and so have her friends. And now she wants them ALL.

So...yeah: a character who's already well-known and enormously popular with that particular age group is probably a good place to start...

I tried new Archie comics with my daughter last year (she turned 9 back in January), and they went absolutely nowhere. Then, a month or so ago, I gave her a "Spongebob" comic book (it's magazine-sized; I have no idea who publishes it) that I got on a whim at the grocery store, and she LOVED it. She's read it three or four times since then, and so have her friends. And now she wants them ALL.

So...yeah: a character who's already well-known and enormously popular with that particular age group is probably a good place to start...

(thumbs u Cool, sounds like a good idea. I think the animated cartoon stuff is published under the Cartoon Network comics (scooby, spongebob, etc). I'll take a look at those.

Things my kids love:

Bone, Batman Strikes, Marvel Adventure books, Scooby Doo, the Lulu paperbacks by Dark Horse, my daughter has loved, the Greatest Wonder Woman stories trade since she was 5. All big hits.

(thumbs u Cool, sounds like a good idea. I think the animated cartoon stuff is published under the Cartoon Network comics (scooby, spongebob, etc). I'll take a look at those.

http://www.nick.com/shows/nick_mag/

Isn't Owly a pretty tame series for kids?

I know most the kids in the class - I think they're all fairly mature readers. Owly might be a bit young for them (shrug)

Resurrection reads Owly because he says it reminds him of some Detective Comics on a bad day. :insane:

You may be right though George, and Owly would be more for 5-6 years old since it doesn't have any word ballons.

A small word of warning...

My 10 year old son was recently reading a Futarama comic.

No big deal, it's a cartoon...what could go wrong.

He then shows me an ad in it for a PS3 video game...let's just say the ad should not have been in a all ages book.

100_0547.jpg

I've donated dozens of modern stuff at my son's primary school, and I've always had to check the ads.

Regards.

Hi guys,

I'll be helping out once a week with numeracy at my son's primary school for the rest of the year and I wanted to infiltrate their impressionable young minds with comic book art and stories... er... I mean... wanted to introduce them to the wonderful world of comic books, at the end of the lesson. The class is coed and the kids are ages 7 and 8.

What do you guys recommend in the way of comics? I want to have one title for the boys and one for the girls, and preferably ongoing ones that I can buy each month for them - suggestions?

My son is into all types of comics, so I can't really use him as a litmus paper for the rest. And I want particular advice making sure whatever is chosen for the girls is something they'll stick with and like (contrary to the boys who would all probably be happy with anything super-hero).

He then shows me an ad in it for a PS3 video game...let's just say the ad should not have been in a all ages book.

I've donated dozens of modern stuff at my son's primary school, and I've always had to check the ads.

Regards.

Completely agree. And that is a point to note - I'll go through the book page by page before purchasing each month. The last thing I want to do is "scare" the kids and alienate the parents on the virtues of comic books.

100_0547.jpg

I'm 37 and that picture creeped ME out when I first saw it.

100_0547.jpg

agree + 1 :P

100_0547.jpg

You are old.

:baiting:

100_0547.jpg

You are old.

:baiting:

:mad:

cheap barks Ducks, nothing could be better. Little Lulu trades from dark horse are great too.

I second that !! Barks Donald Ducks are still great for kids after all these years....unless of course they've already discovered Owly (shrug)