• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anybody learn how to pack a freakin' comic!!!

129 posts in this topic

the bottom corner can still get dinged if you ship it in a priority envelope. :baiting:

:sumo:

I can ship two comics in a PM Envelope with 99.999% guarantee it won't get dinged on the corners. First tip is to use double-thick cardboard for the "sandwich" (hence only two comics per envelope) and the second tip is to cut the cardboard so it fills out the envelope almost to the max - I find that I always have over 3/4 of an inch of space diagonally between the tip of the corner of the comic/bag/board and the tip of the cardboard's corner. I have shipped many comics this way and have never had a problem. I will admit, I rarely ever send comics in an envelope without the double-thick cardboard. If I have, I made up for it with bubble-wrap.

-slym

I hate when a seller ships priority mail because I know its going to be in one of those envelopes that don't offer the protection as it appears it should. Almost every comic I have gotten, the Priority envelope had ripped on at least two corners exposing the contents. I normally ask for media mail shipping as my post office accepts it for comics.

I hear that - that's why I have the $5 option for PM Envelope, or the $6-7 option of the PM box, and also the $11 option for the Flat-Rate PM box.

(thumbs u

-slym

If the books are bagged, then taped to a larger, sturdy piece of cardboard with another piece making the sandwich complete it's pretty safe for *normal* mail transit.

Of course there is a minority out there which treat packages like and would manage to damage a black box were in sent in the mail.

Luckily not an envelope, but I had sent some comics in a box to another forum's buddy of mine in Texas, he claimed the box looked like it had been used for a soccer game, including smashed and ripped corners! He told me the comics were fine... and I remember, I used two different sizes of bubble-wrap to stuff that box.

doh!

-slym

I just got in a $300 book two days ago that was shipped in a priority envelope. I'm afraid to open it. At least it is insured, but even the P.O. is going to think you are nuts shipping items like that in a priority envelope :screwy: My mail carrier was astonished when I signed for it, and told her what it was.

Don't people know that priority boxed costs the same for 1-2 books if you use the right materials? All you have to do is keep the package at 16 oz or below.

A box can weigh up to two pounds and still be $4.80 (online) if I'm shipping in-state here in NC. I am glad the USPS doesn't go by their old "Zones" anymore, I remember it was costing me almost $6 to send a 1# package to CA back then. I also agree, I would never send a high-end book in an envelope no matter what. Usually it's the people who win my 3-issue lots for 99¢ that opt for the PM envelope, and I don't even offer the envelope for items more than $40-50 or so. I sold bghkoyama a couple of comics worth almost $100 and put those in a box. I know, al ot of people are reading this and thinking "This is just common sense!" Well, I agree with you, and can only point out how many people don't seem to have any common sense.

;)

-slym (is passionate about packaging comic books for shipping, if you can't tell)

Got in an Ebay order one time with the comic packed nicely in a bag with board...and postage and address right on the backside over the white backing board. Comic in plain site all the way thru the shipping. They just took a bagged and boarded comic and put the postge right on it without even packing it up in an envelope. A silver-age comic just string face up whereever it was sent. Even my mail carrier knew what was in the bag. lol

Go figure. And I was charged $5 to ship (shrug)

That has got to be the funniest shipping story I have ever heard of. How was the condition of the comic when it arrived?

It was a SA Green Lantern issue and was still amazingly VF after the visible shipment.

Lets go one better and put some stamps on a slab and see how it fares. :eek:

I have a Wolverine vol. 3 #26 LE 9.8 that I can't sell...

hmlol:kidaround:

-slym

About 10 years ago I received a then newish comic book from a shop in the South of England that was packaged without a board, in a simple white envelope with the words, "Please Mr. Postman, don't damage this comic!" written in black Sharpie ink on the front. After the book had been placed in the envelope.

Any guesses as to its eventual condition, especially after the Royal Mail had been provoked by their request for tender loving care?

The shop then claimed that they shipped all over the world and never got complaints. Yes, of course you don't, I thought to myself.

The item was only a £4 or so prestige-sized book and I threw the towel in here and moved on.

Nonetheless, their somewhat laughable and unique style has always stuck in my mind.

I always love that particular line from someone, as if it somehow negates the possibility that there is a problem & complaint THIS time!!??!

:sumo:

-slym

You could do it the old DC mailorder way. Fold the comic in half and shove in an paper sleeve with no ends. Thus you get authentic Subscription style copy to boot.

I received a sub for Uncanny X-Men back in the 1980's for a birthday present - the first half of the year had a sticker with my address pasted to the front of the comic, and the 2nd half had the sleeve as you describe. Regardless, I ended up buying "second" copies of these from my local drug-store anyways, where I had bought all my other copies.

Trash/trashed, that's what those subscription copies were...

-slym

How come Time and Newsweek arrive every week in great condition with nary a envelope or board?

Of course some goof mailed my CGC comic in a bubbled manilla envelope which promptly arrived with the top broken off.

My big gripe is that if you don't pack well... don't get grumpy when someone calls you out on it.

Bought from a seller on eBay who did me a "favor" and packed as many cgc into a USPS box as he could squeeze (busting at seems full). Next to no packing material for cushion on ends... the entire set arrived with cracks through all the cases. Those are the kind of favors I can do without.