• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anybody learn how to pack a freakin' comic!!!

129 posts in this topic

One of the first comics I got on ebay was a CGC BLOL** 4.0 Flash 110. The seller tossed it in a box that wasn't quite wide enough for the case, so it rested at an angle, with no peanuts, paper, cardboard, or nuthin. By the time it arrived via UPS the case was broken right in half and shattered in a couple places. Luckily & miraculously nothing had happened to the inner case or the comic itself.

It was my first CGC comic, and after CGC told me I'd have to pay them 11 dollars for a plastic case, I decided to leave it as is. The only value I personally get from CGC is a better guarantee that a comic I buy online (thus have never seen personally) is really the listed grade. Once I get the comic, I don't really care much whether it's CGC graded or not. I give it the grade I think it deserves and insert directly into my heart.

Well ... maybe that's not totally true. I left the Flash 110 in the inner case, so maybe it does mean something to me.

** Blue Label Of Love

You didn't read it :o

One of the first comics I got on ebay was a CGC BLOL** 4.0 Flash 110. The seller tossed it in a box that wasn't quite wide enough for the case, so it rested at an angle, with no peanuts, paper, cardboard, or nuthin. By the time it arrived via UPS the case was broken right in half and shattered in a couple places. Luckily & miraculously nothing had happened to the inner case or the comic itself.

It was my first CGC comic, and after CGC told me I'd have to pay them 11 dollars for a plastic case, I decided to leave it as is. The only value I personally get from CGC is a better guarantee that a comic I buy online (thus have never seen personally) is really the listed grade. Once I get the comic, I don't really care much whether it's CGC graded or not. I give it the grade I think it deserves and insert directly into my heart.

Well ... maybe that's not totally true. I left the Flash 110 in the inner case, so maybe it does mean something to me.

** Blue Label Of Love

rantrant:sorry:

Just wait. You'll get one of the sellers on here that gives the old statement "You're buying the book - not the CGC case. Who cares about the case?"

Unfortunately, as GPA shows, people pay more for graded books in most situations because of the time and expense involved in confirming a book's grade. So the case condition does count, and how that case arrives.

Oddly enough, those same sellers will quote GPA rates - not Overstreet rates - so I guess a book being CGC graded does count for something.

Crazy, I know!

I just got in a $300 book two days ago that was shipped in a priority envelope. I'm afraid to open it. At least it is insured, but even the P.O. is going to think you are nuts shipping items like that in a priority envelope :screwy: My mail carrier was astonished when I signed for it, and told her what it was.

Don't people know that priority boxed costs the same for 1-2 books if you use the right materials? All you have to do is keep the package at 16 oz or below.

Got in an Ebay order one time with the comic packed nicely in a bag with board...and postage and address right on the backside over the white backing board. Comic in plain site all the way thru the shipping. They just took a bagged and boarded comic and put the postge right on it without even packing it up in an envelope. A silver-age comic just string face up whereever it was sent. Even my mail carrier knew what was in the bag. lol

Go figure. And I was charged $5 to ship (shrug)

That has got to be the funniest shipping story I have ever heard of. How was the condition of the comic when it arrived?

It was a SA Green Lantern issue and was still amazingly VF after the visible shipment.

maybe because everyone handling the book knew that it was a valuable comic they were extra careful with it.... interesting

And I've hardly ever had the envelop damaged as well... no ripped corners...nothing (shrug)

Seriously? I always wondered what the international experience was like with deliveries coming from the states. That's why I overpack with those orders to the point I probably use up too much material, but I would rather have a safe delivery.

speaking of packing comics - I'm pretty sure Nick(Bosco685) has been the best that I've bought from so far. He used a box for one raw book . The other nice touch was when taping the cardboard sandwich together he folds down a small corner on each piece of tape for easy removal when unpacking. I receive many great packaged books but that was the first time someone had thought about making it easier when unpacking.

:golfclap:

and after reading this thread I don't think I am going to use the flat rate envelope anymore... my experience has been good so far but maybe I'm pressing my luck (shrug)

speaking of packing comics - I'm pretty sure Nick(Bosco685) has been the best that I've bought from so far. He used a box for one raw book . The other nice touch was when taping the cardboard sandwich together he folds down a small corner on each piece of tape for easy removal when unpacking. I receive many great packaged books but that was the first time someone had thought about making it easier when unpacking.

Jason, you just made my day. Thank you!!!!!

Jason, you just made my day. Thank you!!!!!

Interesting thread, I almost started a similar one this week...but I calmed down.

I got two boxes the other day...one from you, Nick, and the packing was outstanding, just for these 2 small books...thank you again! (worship)

On the other hand, I got a GA book from another boarder (who I will not name here) that cost 5 or 6 times what your books cost me, that was not even in a BAG, the person took plastic wrap, wrapped the book with a backing board, and put TAPE on the plastic wrap.

I IM'd a friend of mine when I opened it, and said...can you BELIEVE someone from the board would do that?

Got in an Ebay order one time with the comic packed nicely in a bag with board...and postage and address right on the backside over the white backing board. Comic in plain site all the way thru the shipping. They just took a bagged and boarded comic and put the postge right on it without even packing it up in an envelope. A silver-age comic just string face up whereever it was sent. Even my mail carrier knew what was in the bag. lol

That has got to be the funniest shipping story I have ever heard of. How was the condition of the comic when it arrived?

It was a SA Green Lantern issue and was still amazingly VF after the visible shipment.

Lets go one better and put some stamps on a slab and see how it fares. :eek:

can you BELIEVE someone from the board would do that?
Hell yeah!!! Being on the boards doesn't make dumb people any smarter.

About 10 years ago I received a then newish comic book from a shop in the South of England that was packaged without a board, in a simple white envelope with the words, "Please Mr. Postman, don't damage this comic!" written in black Sharpie ink on the front. After the book had been placed in the envelope.

Any guesses as to its eventual condition, especially after the Royal Mail had been provoked by their request for tender loving care?

The shop then claimed that they shipped all over the world and never got complaints. Yes, of course you don't, I thought to myself.

The item was only a £4 or so prestige-sized book and I threw the towel in here and moved on.

Nonetheless, their somewhat laughable and unique style has always stuck in my mind.

can you BELIEVE someone from the board would do that?
Hell yeah!!! Being on the boards doesn't make dumb people any smarter.

But being on the boards makes dorky people dorkier.

On the other hand, I got a GA book from another boarder (who I will not name here) that cost 5 or 6 times what your books cost me, that was not even in a BAG, the person took plastic wrap, wrapped the book with a backing board, and put TAPE on the plastic wrap.

:popcorn:

I hate when a seller ships priority mail because I know its going to be in one of those envelopes that don't offer the protection as it appears it should. Almost every comic I have gotten, the Priority envelope had ripped on at least two corners exposing the contents. I normally ask for media mail shipping as my post office accepts it for comics.

I've seen somebody else raise the same concern and must conclude that you must have very rough mail carriers. My experience is almost the complete opposite

I've gotten nearly 400 of these over the last decade and almost all made their trip around the world and I've had maybe 2 or 3 that had any damage to the comics at all. If the comic bags are taped to the cardboard and the cardboard is sufficiently strong there should be almost no problems. It's all about the cardboard sandwich that the seller makes, the envelop should be regarded as a wrapper which offers no protection.

And I've hardly ever had the envelop damaged as well... no ripped corners...nothing (shrug)

You have been very lucky then. I have had it happen several times with cardboard and without. I think the packing with the cardboard causes the tears. Luckily, the comics or trades themselves did not suffer too much damage but it's a bit disheartening when you can see the contents of your mail before opening the package.

That is truly amazing. It's a keeper with a great story to go with it.

Ok everyone, as expected, the relentless self-tooters tooted their horns (those with the incredible superiority complexes) . . . :grin:

Those of us who've been here (and done that) know who knows how to ship and who doesn't and we factor that into our purchasing decisions. ;)

The point of this thread is one: THE COMIC MUST BE PREVENTED FROM MOVING WITHIN A PACKAGE. PERIOD.

If you don't understand this then move along and go back to eBay. :sumo:

Ok everyone, as expected, the relentless self-tooters tooted their horns (those with the incredible superiority complexes) . . . :grin:

(tsk)

Your winning personality is shining through again. Be careful with that. People may end up liking you. :grin: