• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anybody learn how to pack a freakin' comic!!!

129 posts in this topic

This is not a thread to post all of your self-congratulatory "I pack better than anyone" slap on the back posts. Because, chances are you don't.

Yet again, I get books today from two board members that are INCORRECTLY packed :sumo: Don't tell me about boxes, or bubble-wrap or cardboard or Mylars or whatever YOU think works - I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT! :P

If you don't know enough to TAPE the bag down to the board on all four edges, then you could ship it in Iron Man's spare suit and the corners are still gonna get dinged - how freakin' stoopid can you get???

BOOKS MOVE AROUND WITHIN THE PACKAGE - GET IT? :makepoint:

rantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrant

HOW MANY FREAKIN' TIMES DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS POST?

What the freak is a smurf???????????????????????

I think the CGC site's explanation for packaging comics sent to them isn't quite good enough.

DEFINITELY put all comics into some sort of plastic bag, tape it shut, and tape that to the one piece of the cardboard sandwich.

PLEASE.

/soapbox

-slym

Should be standard practice, if you ask me. I hate dissecting tape off of the actual comic bag. (thumbs u

I recently mailed a CGC'd copy of X-Men #94 to Nik. It was 9.0.

He told me I went above & beyond in packing, I two boxed it. I guess i got lucky this time.

Got in an Ebay order one time with the comic packed nicely in a bag with board...and postage and address right on the backside over the white backing board. Comic in plain site all the way thru the shipping. They just took a bagged and boarded comic and put the postge right on it without even packing it up in an envelope. A silver-age comic just string face up whereever it was sent. Even my mail carrier knew what was in the bag. lol

Go figure. And I was charged $5 to ship (shrug)

That has got to be the funniest shipping story I have ever heard of. How was the condition of the comic when it arrived?

If you don't know enough to TAPE the bag down to the board on all four edges, then you could ship it in Iron Man's spare suit and the corners are still gonna get dinged - how freakin' stoopid can you get???

Even if you do, the bottom corner can still get dinged if you ship it in a priority envelope. :baiting:

:sumo:

I hate when a seller ships priority mail because I know its going to be in one of those envelopes that don't offer the protection as it appears it should. Almost every comic I have gotten, the Priority envelope had ripped on at least two corners exposing the contents. I normally ask for media mail shipping as my post office accepts it for comics.

You did not send $11 and a Giant Size X-Men #1 9.2 to CGC and get a Giant Size X-Men #1 9.4 back. I simply do not believe that happened.

No, I did not send in $11 with a GS X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 and get back a GS X-Men CGC 9.4 to my surprise - you forgot the shipping.

And it did happen, but no worries. Whether you believe me or not, I've got the book in my collection, and that's all that matters, right?

:headbang:

Only time that happened with a reholder for me - ever.

You did not send $11 and a Giant Size X-Men #1 9.2 to CGC and get a Giant Size X-Men #1 9.4 back. I simply do not believe that happened.

No, I did not send in $11 with a GS X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 and get back a GS X-Men CGC 9.4 to my surprise - you forgot the shipping.

And it did happen, but no worries. Whether you believe me or not, I've got the book in my collection, and that's all that matters, right?

Give it two weeks and see if you get the submission fee charged back to your CC. This sounds like a major mistake by the CGC staff.

I think the CGC site's explanation for packaging comics sent to them isn't quite good enough.

DEFINITELY put all comics into some sort of plastic bag, tape it shut, and tape that to the one piece of the cardboard sandwich.

PLEASE.

/soapbox

-slym

Should be standard practice, if you ask me. I hate dissecting tape off of the actual comic bag. (thumbs u

I could not agree more, I simply put 2-3 comics in a cardboard priority envelope, fold and seal the flap snug against the comics and that tape that between a cardboard sandwich , finally placing that in a bubblewrap lined Mailing box. The comics get the added protection of the cardboard envelope and when you cut the tape off the cardboard sandwich you dont have to worry about slicing a comic, or mylar.

Oh, and I don't care if you don't want to hear it David.. :kidaround:

I hate when a seller ships priority mail because I know its going to be in one of those envelopes that don't offer the protection as it appears it should. Almost every comic I have gotten, the Priority envelope had ripped on at least two corners exposing the contents. I normally ask for media mail shipping as my post office accepts it for comics.

I've seen somebody else raise the same concern and must conclude that you must have very rough mail carriers. My experience is almost the complete opposite

I've gotten nearly 400 of these over the last decade and almost all made their trip around the world and I've had maybe 2 or 3 that had any damage to the comics at all. If the comic bags are taped to the cardboard and the cardboard is sufficiently strong there should be almost no problems. It's all about the cardboard sandwich that the seller makes, the envelop should be regarded as a wrapper which offers no protection.

And I've hardly ever had the envelop damaged as well... no ripped corners...nothing (shrug)

And I've hardly ever had the envelop damaged as well... no ripped corners...nothing (shrug)

Seriously? I always wondered what the international experience was like with deliveries coming from the states. That's why I overpack with those orders to the point I probably use up too much material, but I would rather have a safe delivery.

Give it two weeks and see if you get the submission fee charged back to your CC. This sounds like a major mistake by the CGC staff.

I actually called a few times last year when this happened asking if this was right.

Eric and the rest of the staff were very patient reassuring me 1) it was my book, 2) that yes it was realized the book was a higher grade and 3) there will be no additional fees.

(shrug)

Seriously? I always wondered what the international experience was like with deliveries coming from the states. That's why I overpack with those orders to the point I probably use up too much material, but I would rather have a safe delivery.

If you send to an APO address, I can tell you that the mail is/was treated rather rough. I've received Priority boxes that looked as if they were used for a quick game of soccer before reaching me. Became such a problem that the military started investigating the central European APO gateway in Frankfurt (there were also many packages missing as well). Don't know what became of the investigation, I left Europe before the investigation ended, but hopefully the problem was solved...

Jim

Yeah...straight up. It could be down to stupid luck, but I've imported over 10.000 comics from the US over the last 6 years or so and only one package never arrived.

Maybe one in ten packages arrived with some surface damage, but hardly ever to the books. I've received books that were damaged, mostly blunted corners but that was because the seller just put them (bagged/boarded) into the envelop...which is a recipe for disaster.

If the books are bagged, then taped to a larger, sturdy piece of cardboard with another piece making the sandwich complete it's pretty safe for *normal* mail transit.

Of course there is a minority out there which treat packages like and would manage to damage a black box were in sent in the mail.

Yeah, no kidding.

I've seen somebody else raise the same concern and must conclude that you must have very rough mail carriers. My experience is almost the complete opposite

I've gotten nearly 400 of these over the last decade and almost all made their trip around the world and I've had maybe 2 or 3 that had any damage to the comics at all. If the comic bags are taped to the cardboard and the cardboard is sufficiently strong there should be almost no problems. It's all about the cardboard sandwich that the seller makes, the envelop should be regarded as a wrapper which offers no protection.

That's been my experience...no problems with priority envelopes as long as the inner packing was done right. The only time I got a damaged comic was a package that had been skewered, apparently by a bayonet or similar object!

I too have beaten this issue WITH a dead horse.

And I don't mean that issue of Watchmen #1 either.

I've actually come down to mailing just one single comic in a priority BOX these days, covered with bubble and peanuts. I just simply DO NOT trust cardboard, and envelopes.

One of the first comics I got on ebay was a CGC BLOL** 4.0 Flash 110. The seller tossed it in a box that wasn't quite wide enough for the case, so it rested at an angle, with no peanuts, paper, cardboard, or nuthin. By the time it arrived via UPS the case was broken right in half and shattered in a couple places. Luckily & miraculously nothing had happened to the inner case or the comic itself.

It was my first CGC comic, and after CGC told me I'd have to pay them 11 dollars for a plastic case, I decided to leave it as is. The only value I personally get from CGC is a better guarantee that a comic I buy online (thus have never seen personally) is really the listed grade. Once I get the comic, I don't really care much whether it's CGC graded or not. I give it the grade I think it deserves and insert directly into my heart.

Well ... maybe that's not totally true. I left the Flash 110 in the inner case, so maybe it does mean something to me.

** Blue Label Of Love

Got in an Ebay order one time with the comic packed nicely in a bag with board...and postage and address right on the backside over the white backing board. Comic in plain site all the way thru the shipping. They just took a bagged and boarded comic and put the postge right on it without even packing it up in an envelope. A silver-age comic just string face up whereever it was sent. Even my mail carrier knew what was in the bag. lol

Go figure. And I was charged $5 to ship (shrug)

That has got to be the funniest shipping story I have ever heard of. How was the condition of the comic when it arrived?

It was a SA Green Lantern issue and was still amazingly VF after the visible shipment.