• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration Before and after pics

22 posts in this topic

Hey Mike, before this goes any further would you mind going over to the thread about you in Comics General and explain what it is we are looking at exactly with the Hulk 104 you restored.

Or the water damage to the ASM 129 for that matter. :(

link

Yikes ! I just read this whole topic and I don’t even know where to start. I am open as a book, Honest and a beginner. I post what I post so I can get feedback which is really important to me. I didn’t even notice the back covers were slightly different and I did the job so that’s kinda funny. If you guys wanna joke around with me that’s fine but be kind as I'm just trying to learn. I defiantly don’t mind being told I'm doing something wrong and I absolutely want you to tell me the right way. The grade tag is just a way for me to package my finished work. I charged the customer $10 on the hulk but I put $45 because that’s what I would have charged but I am doing the labor for free. I wish you would try harder to help me than trying so hard to find something shady about me. This is a hobby for me and I just want to break even and nothing more. I really like comic covers and it breaks my heart when they look bad so I fix them up and that’s how I got started. I hope this clears up a few things.

Mike

Dude, you just need to develop a thick skin especially when you start getting into the restoration arena. There are a few respected experts out there like Susan Cicconi from the Restoration Lab (www.therestorationlab.com) and Matt Nelson (www.classicsincorporated.com) that have a long history of restoration and conservation of comics. If this is really an area that you want to get into, like some of the guys who've answered your post today have gotten into it, then keep on perfecting your technique. You also need to learn the impact of your actions and what effects they will have when a book is graded by CGC and also any long term effects.

Keep doing your thing and if you've got something good going on then you should have no problem blending in and getting constructive feedback. Also know that there are those out there that will perform restoration to a book with the sole intent of duping people out of $$. So tread carefully on what your intents are and your associations with those that want to do it to hurt others. There's a plethora of information regarding some shady characters that do undisclosed restoration and have gotten themselves and others into bad situations.

Sorry didnt see where quote tool is. What did you want to know about the water damage?

I guess I just wanted you to be careful when wet washing covers, or rather when you are drying them.

That ASM 129 is a mess now. :(

No matter what you do. Some one here will just think your a scam artist. That is a sad truth around here sometimes. Your damned if you do, and you damned if you don't. Pick your poison and move forward as best you can.

If by "scam artist" you mean someone who does amateur restoration & conveniently forgets to mention that he replaced an entire back cover, then, yes, I certainly think that's an accurate description.

Mike posted the image below in the CPG forums to show what his "finished" product looked like - does it say "married pages" anywhere on that self-made label?

hulk104-sheenanigans2.jpg

No matter what you do. Some one here will just think your a scam artist. That is a sad truth around here sometimes. Your damned if you do, and you damned if you don't. Pick your poison and move forward as best you can.

If by "scam artist" you mean someone who does amateur restoration & conveniently forgets to mention that he replaced an entire back cover, then, yes, I certainly think that's an accurate description.

Mike posted the image below in the CPG forums to show what his "finished" product looked like - does it say "married pages" anywhere on that self-made label?

hulk104-sheenanigans2.jpg

Gotta love the use of the wolverine hologram piece on the side label.

He didn't just replace the back cover, he replaced the ENTIRE cover.

Sorry didnt see where quote tool is. What did you want to know about the water damage?

I guess I just wanted you to be careful when wet washing covers, or rather when you are drying them.

He didn't just replace the back cover, he replaced the ENTIRE cover.

On the Hulk #104 you mean?

I was refering to the ASM 129 he wet washed and posted in a thread on the CPG boards.