• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting question for you all. This should be fun.

66 posts in this topic

Alive: Ditko. It would have to be Ditko. All the Spider-Man questions, all the Stan Lee and Jack Kirby questions, all the move to Charlton questions, all the philosophy questions... you get the idea.

Dead: Wally Wood.

Hmm. There are still good Marvel titles, but you could check out some DC's :baiting:

Back in the day, I was buying DCs and some other stuff. I'd say 50% Marvel, 35% DC and 15% others.

I still pick up trades from time to time, but that's only when word is they're worth the coin. (thumbs u

Matt Baker.

There's so little information about what it was like for him as a black guy in the business. How did others in the bullpen treat him? What'd he do at lunch time? Simple 'daily-grind' questions and if segregation took it's toll (or not).

:golfclap:

There's zilch info on the web and no biography books as far as I know. Damn shame for such a prolific and gifted giant of the industry.

There is one photo of the guy.

MattBaker.jpg

Phantom_Lady_17.jpg

Jim Shooter, to ask what it was like going from a young teen contributing to one of the great DC Comics titles all the way to forming a few companies that I truly appreciated. From this, what was his life-lessons he would have done differently.

Although many say he is difficult to work with, most respect his incredible contributions.

Matt Baker.

There's so little information about what it was like for him as a black guy in the business. How did others in the bullpen treat him? What'd he do at lunch time? Simple 'daily-grind' questions and if segregation took it's toll (or not).

:golfclap:

There's zilch info on the web and no biography books as far as I know. Damn shame for such a prolific and gifted giant of the industry.

There is one photo of the guy.

MattBaker.jpg

Phantom_Lady_17.jpg

Alter Ego 47 has the best source of info. They have a great interview with his relatives.

Joe Quesada.

I'd want to ask him why he utterly destroyed all the characters that I loved for 30 years, and how he justified that destruction given the huge slump in sales figures.

Oh, and I'd also take the opportunity to give him a right good slapping. (thumbs u

I just came on and read this. I started laughing out loud. :roflmao:

DRX

If I could have a round-table discussion with Craig Flessel, Fletcher Hanks, Basil Wolverton, Jack Kirby, Lou Fine, matt Baker, Steve Ditko, Major Malcolm-Wheeler Nicholson & Will Eisner.......................oh my god! :cloud9:

Oh, and Bill Gaines............................ :luhv:

Jim Shooter, to ask what it was like going from a young teen contributing to one of the great DC Comics titles all the way to forming a few companies that I truly appreciated. From this, what was his life-lessons he would have done differently.

Although many say he is difficult to work with, most respect his incredible contributions.

You should listen to Vincent Zurzolo's Comic Zone radio interviews with Jim Shooter from a few years back. http://www.comiczoneradio.com/search.php?kw=shooter&btnSearch=Search

Shooter would be high on my list of people, too. But Ditko would probably be #1 at this point simply because he won't talk to anyone.

Alive: Ditko. It would have to be Ditko. All the Spider-Man questions, all the Stan Lee and Jack Kirby questions, all the move to Charlton questions, all the philosophy questions... you get the idea.

Dead: Wally Wood.

and Joe Maneely.

Stan Lee. Because he's literally "Been there, and done that."

(worship)

Which Stan Lee?

a) The one who started at Timely?

b) The one when Atlas almost folded?

c) The one at the begining of the Marvel Age Of Comics

d) The one who signs comics for signiture series & takes credit for it all

(shrug)

................and "yes!" I'm a little biased. :whistle:

I am loving all the Quesada hate in this thread.

Living- Lee, Aragones, Miller, Moore, Evainer, a few others if I thought about it.

Dead- Eisner, Kirby.

Kurtzman, Ingels, Craig, Gaines and all the other E.C. alumni who have passed on. Over many beers. Would be some great stories and insights into the industry and the media during their heyday...

Also Joe Maneely, Gil Kane and Lou Fine.

You should listen to Vincent Zurzolo's Comic Zone radio interviews with Jim Shooter from a few years back. http://www.comiczoneradio.com/search.php?kw=shooter&btnSearch=Search

Shooter would be high on my list of people, too. But Ditko would probably be #1 at this point simply because he won't talk to anyone.

Thanks! I didn't know about this, but will be checking it out now.

I have every early Valiant because of Shooter's ability to piece that young universe together. What happened to that company later was a crying shame.

So I was just thinking a moment ago ( I know, shocking). And I figured I would share this with the boards.

If you could sit down with one comic creator (living or deceased) and have a conversation with them and they would (again hypothetically) answer any questions you had. Who would it be? And what would you ask them?

For me. Jack Kirby. I would love to know what it was like working in comics for so long, seeing how it advanced, projects he worked on, and the influence his work has had. I think it would be amazing if I could actually have a one on one conversation with him.

Kirby without question.