• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Identity: The Fetish Art of Superman's Co-creator Joe Shuster

27 posts in this topic

I saw a copy at a local bookstore and was meaning to pick it up but got distracted (very, very interesting to see how it trickled into his work with Supes and Lois Lane). Definitely going to make for an interesting summer read.

I got my copy. I haven't read it all the way through but I've........looked at the pictures. It looks like a fascinating peek into a little-known area of Joe Shuster's career. I'll read the whole book when I'm on vacation this summer.

I have searched this thread from start to finish. I just don't see it!

3507545054_6c98203270_o.jpg

3506736833_5a824561c7_o.jpg

You can get both of his books from Amazon for about $30. I contributed the Barks scan for the first book and a Schomburg which probably didn't make the cut. I never found any of those sexy Shuster drawings.

3507559538_e9d6a09c6b_o.jpg

You can get both of his books from Amazon for about $30. I contributed the Barks scan for the first book and a Schomburg which probably didn't make the cut. I never found any of those sexy Shuster drawings.

3507580446_effec8a8ff_b.jpg

I submitted this drawing as a possible Shuster cartoon. I thought the background skyscrapers looked like work by Shuster but it was rejected. And probably Craig was right.

All of Shuster's early work needs to be saved. BZ has posted a few early Slam Bradley stories that look wonderful. I am not sure that the fetish art was a large part of what he did but it is interesting.

bb

3506736833_5a824561c7_o.jpg

3507559538_e9d6a09c6b_o.jpg

Thanks! (thumbs u

thanks bbgun for your help. i'm sure that cartoon you showed with the sky scrapers isn't shuster.

3511501132_43ce398bd5_b.jpg

3510690665_ea4a4ba9bf_b.jpg

I think I submitted these cartoons for the first book along with the Barks technocrap cartoon (which was used and looked great in color). I don't know if they were used.

bb

Did you get your copy? Discuss.

Not sure what's to discuss. As far as I can tell, this publication is neither authorized nor approved by the Shuster estate and as such, and whomever published it without the approval of the Shuster family is a vile human being devoid of ethics. rantrant

I think I would prefer to see a collection of Slam Bradley and Federal Men stories rather than the fetish art. But I don't think printing the book is illegal and it is still art worth saving. A collection of Schomburg art from the pulp interior stories would also be a nice collection. His art was also a little racy at times.

bb

3525733193_39eb022328_b.jpg

that above schomburg drawing is in my book "clean cartoonists' dirthy drawings". but whoever sent me the scan (can't remember who at the moment) just sent me the left hand page---i LOVE the right hand part! thanks for sharing! BTW the book also has some unknown schomburg girly cartoons--great stuff!

that above schomburg drawing is in my book "clean cartoonists' dirthy drawings". but whoever sent me the scan (can't remember who at the moment) just sent me the left hand page---i LOVE the right hand part! thanks for sharing! BTW the book also has some unknown schomburg girly cartoons--great stuff!

Craig,

I sent you the Schomburg page and the Barks pages.

My old scanner did something strange when I tried to copy both pages of the Schomburg drawing so I sent a good scan of the left hand side.

bb

3532989313_33d0414e36.jpg

The Technocrap cartoon looked pretty good in color. I only sent this black and white version.

3532989485_e5ac174129.jpg

I don't remember if this last one was sent but it is definitely by Barks.