• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just watched Star Trek... very long, detailed critique follows...

81 posts in this topic

The Spock/Uhuru romance was surprising and interestingly done. I don't remember, but was there ever an episode where something almost happened / was implied between those two? Or some sort of connection? It sort of sparks in the dim reaches of my memory...

All I know is that controversy was sparked when there was an episode in which Kirk kissed Uhura...I think it may have been the 1st interacial kiss on T.V. ... hm

It was the first interracial kiss...

I've seen all the original series episodes and there's nothing there that suggests a romance between Spock and Uhura. The OS was all about Nurse Chapel's love for Spock. The Uhura angle didn't bother me in the movie though...

Jim

The Spock/Uhuru romance was surprising and interestingly done. I don't remember, but was there ever an episode where something almost happened / was implied between those two? Or some sort of connection? It sort of sparks in the dim reaches of my memory...

All I know is that controversy was sparked when there was an episode in which Kirk kissed Uhura...I think it may have been the 1st interacial kiss on T.V. ... hm

I've seen all the original series episodes and there's nothing there that suggests a romance between Spock and Uhura. The OS was all about Nurse Chapel's love for Spock. The Uhura angle didn't bother me in the movie though...

Jim

Ah yes Nurse Chapel! And I remember all that business about Kirk and Uhura. Seems incredible that such a thing was ever even worthy of comment, let alone within living memory. Thank god we've moved on a bit!

Spock and Uhura was sudden and unexpected. I thought it was very nicely done when she followed him into the turbolift after the destruction of his planet and asked him what he needed. Very touching.

Jim

Ah yes Nurse Chapel! And I remember all that business about Kirk and Uhura. Seems incredible that such a thing was ever even worthy of comment, let alone within living memory. Thank god we've moved on a bit!

Spock and Uhura was sudden and unexpected. I thought it was very nicely done when she followed him into the turbolift after the destruction of his planet and asked him what he needed. Very touching.

You know what she was really asking him though don't you?

Great movie and Star Trek is cool and relevent again.

Kirk,Spock and McCoy are Star Trek, the other versions were just pretenders to the throne. Next Generation while good is a acquired taste,while Kirk and company are likeable right off the bat. Good to have them back.

I really like the fact that since it's an alternate timeline they can redo some of the storylines from the original series and they can be unpredictable outcomes or with the help of old Spock they can have the same outcome.

Jim

You know what she was really asking him though don't you?

I'm honestly not sure if you're suggesting something saucy or whether I actually missed some important plot point lol

Late to the party but just to add, I saw it last night and thought it was absolutely outstanding (thumbs u

I was amazed at how true the characters were to their classic older versions, in looks, voice and mannerisms, just perfect!

In the very first couple of episodes of the series there are a couple of instances where it's evident that Uhura does have a thing for Spock. They never did anything with it, but it was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTEwjjruRYM&feature=PlayList&p=0FA8DE1F59AAE68C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmgYMTO6Th4

Late to the party but just to add, I saw it last night and thought it was absolutely outstanding (thumbs u

I was amazed at how true the characters were to their classic older versions, in looks, voice and mannerisms, just perfect!

In the very first couple of episodes of the series there are a couple of instances where it's evident that Uhura does have a thing for Spock. They never did anything with it, but it was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTEwjjruRYM&feature=PlayList&p=0FA8DE1F59AAE68C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmgYMTO6Th4

Very interesting, thanks! That scene with Uhura singing about Spock is what was tugging at my memory I think.

And on a side note, I'd forgotten just how foxy original Uhura was back then! :blush:

Eye candy CGI ... AWESOME

Music ... AWESOME

Actors/casting... AWESOME

Battle scenes... AWESOME

Spock 1/Spock 2... AWESOME

Phaser battle... AWESOME

Big frigin' bad-dude Romulan ship... AWESOME

Space/Time continuum storyline... AWESOME (but my head hurts... no seriously, it hurts!)

"So, should I go see it?"... AWESOME

"So, that's a yes?"... AWESOME

"I think your hair is on fire!"... AWESOME

"...damn fan-boy..." ............ AWESOME!!!

I completely agree with everything you said.

Finally got out to see the new Star Trek movie.

That was AMAZING!

Super storyline, very interesting villains, and a different take on the characters that became so famous.

I'd love to see more of this cast.

That was AMAZING!

Super storyline, very interesting villains, and a different take on the characters that became so famous.

I'm still afraid to see it. :P

That was AMAZING!

I'm still afraid to see it. :P

Don't be. It's fantastic. ^^

That was AMAZING!

Here ya go! (thumbs u

Star_Trek_Cast.gif

lol

Here ya go! (thumbs u

Star_Trek_Cast.gif

lol

IMHO, they pegged all the characters very well.

And Kirk as a kid was really cool seeing him as rebellious even then.

Some of the changes concerned me at first in Trek history, but then it flowed quite nicely. I won't go into details as anyone that has not seen this movie yet, GO!

"Harold" was Sulu???

I have to stop asking these questions... :blush:

-slym (didn't know until right before the film was released that "Sylar" was Spock)

I thought the same thing about "Harold & Kumar," but he actually did a fantastic Sulu performance.

"Harold" was Sulu???

I have to stop asking these questions... :blush:

-slym (didn't know until right before the film was released that "Sylar" was Spock)

I thought the same thing about "Harold & Kumar," but he actually did a fantastic Sulu performance.

Well, at least Kumar wasn't in it.

Or was he? hm