• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE MIKE MIGNOLA THREAD

77 posts in this topic

"yes, Steranko..draw me a Batman and a Nick Fury head sketch'...on this..and this comic..

no..

it does NOT happen..

No, didn't get a sketch from him, but I was able to talk to him for a good little bit and get a couple of sigs. I actually got to see him twice, and there was no line whatsoever either time. The first was my first D-Con, 1997. I walked right up, talked a bit, got his sig on my beaten copy of X-Men #50 (probably my favorite cover of all time...of course being a young insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I put the book in the bag before it could dry, and it smudged...GAH! That was my first convention) and bought a beautiful mint condition FOOM club packet from him.

The second time was...a few years ago, can't recall exactly. He had done the cover art for the program that year, so I had him sign that, and THIS one I didn't smudge! I told him he was the best and he acted very humble, but seriously, there is no one cooler than Steranko. He's like a mix of Robert Evans and David Copperfield, only, you know, COOL. Tan, great suits, shades, million dollar smile. Just a really cool cat, and it was awesome to talk to him both times, and there were NO lines or anyone else talking to him at all.

Ok...last thread hijack by me, promise!

Speaking of the upcoming Mignola DragonCon appearance, I am really torn on what book to get signed. What Mignola covers do you all recommend for signing? There are so many black covers in the Hellboy and BPRD sets, those would probably look nice with silver ink. Any that you all have had signed that you think looked particularly nice? I'd love to see more pics of those lovely Mignola covers and the sigs you all have gotten!

Speaking of the upcoming Mignola DragonCon appearance, I am really torn on what book to get signed. What Mignola covers do you all recommend for signing? There are so many black covers in the Hellboy and BPRD sets, those would probably look nice with silver ink. Any that you all have had signed that you think looked particularly nice? I'd love to see more pics of those lovely Mignola covers and the sigs you all have gotten!
Seed Of Destruction #1.

Seed Of Destruction #1.

Great cover suggestion!

Any of the early Hellboys, Death In The Family (I still need a signed 427 and 428 to have a complete SS set), or his later Batman issues.

I actually disliked Mignola's style when I first saw it years ago. Too boxy and rough for me but as time went by, I grew to appreciate it as a perfect compliment to the writing/stories of Hellboy and B.P.R.D. Now he's one of my all time fav artists...it just took some time! :D

79667.jpg.6fb729793975a844aadf396b9709881f.jpg

I attended a comic convention in Edmonton in 1982 with a friend and I happened to bring a few books I was hoping to trade that included my Howard the Duck #1. My friend noticed an artist and said " I think this guy did the inking on your Howard the Duck". I checked, sure enough, inks by Mignola. I got him to sign it. I still have it, along with my John Byrne ( also at that show ) marvel team up 53. Talked for several minutes, as back then I was still in high school and was an aspiring comic book artist, he gave me some tips. Cool guy.

Artboy99

I attended a comic convention in Edmonton in 1982 with a friend and I happened to bring a few books I was hoping to trade that included my Howard the Duck #1. My friend noticed an artist and said " I think this guy did the inking on your Howard the Duck". I checked, sure enough, inks by Mignola. I got him to sign it. I still have it, along with my John Byrne ( also at that show ) marvel team up 53. Talked for several minutes, as back then I was still in high school and was an aspiring comic book artist, he gave me some tips. Cool guy.

Artboy99

Now that is a cool experience! And at an early stage in Mignola's career.