• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jimmy Palmiotti wants to institute a "DO NOT SKETCH LIST"

12 posts in this topic

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/05/06/listen-to-jimmy-palmiotti-12/

Relevant part posted below

THE DO NOT SKETCH LIST. Yeah, I’m going to get a bunch of artist together and form an official list of people who from now on don’t get sketches from their favorite artists. Want to know how to get on the list? Go complain on the Internet how you waited in line for 2 hours and because an artist that stayed EXTRA 2 hours to try to do more FREE sketches for the people on line didn’t get to yours. Also complain how this artist “owed you” this free sketch and you feel let down and am pissed at him or her or even the storeowner. That’s right, complain that a dude with some art skill takes a day off to lose income and try to please the fans has to take mess from someone like this. Honestly, what other field do you get this kind of ?

So… you go on Free Comic Book Day, get a ton of free comics and free autographs and get on line to maybe get a sketch and when the poor drawing all day doesn’t get to you, you make a federal case about it. Well, guess what? We are a small community and are making lists and sharing them… on the Internet. We have pictures of you and will post them and a red flag will pop up and we will never draw for you… and what can you do? Well… you can apologize for being an , and do community time and show proof, and then we will review your case and all your Internet posts and decide by a panel of my peers if you can be removed from the list. With this, we will also examine if you understand the words “adult,” “empathy,” and “ respect,” then we will make a final decision.

Oh, and for all the cool and sweet fans out there we all love so much, we will continue to work extra hard for you day in and day out on your books and try our best to keep you happy.

I have never had sketches done at a con and I dont have any plans to do so anytime soon.

I dont have patience to sit and wait for a sketch

I'm cool with this. I don't know that I've whined about sketches or such in the past, I doubt it.....

This year at Planet Comicon, I tried to get one from Tony Moore for a fellow boardie. Tony did five sketches a day and I was number 7 on the first day and number 6 the second. I was bummed, but it was his way of insuring that he did nice work for the ones that did make the list. That's fair.

It's always disappointing to not get a sketch that you may have waited a long time to get, but these guys have to draw a line (pardon the pun) somewhere otherwise fans from SDCC 2008 would still be in line at SDCC 2009 and you'd have some really scary and hungry looking artists sitting at the tables.

Bottom line, yeah it's a bummer but there's always next time!

You guys gonna post these photos up at the Post Office on the community billboards with the bank robbers and missing kids? They're going to need big walls! :baiting:

Seriously though, how on earth is this even going to function? Are artists supposed to lug around a phone book full of mug shots to verify fans before sketching? Maybe facial recognition widget for their cell phones?

Good luck with that. Not that I care one way or the other, since I don't do cons any more, and most the artists I dig have known me for many years anyhow.

-e.

Too hard to manage.

Better yet start a WILL SKETCH FOR LIST and anyone not on it NO ART FOR YOU.

Yearly membership fee of $10 get you a card and you get to wait in line. You will need an ID and your card to wait in line. Screw up and lose it for life. Stay on the list for many years and you get better spot in line etc..

Seriously though, how on earth is this even going to function? Are artists supposed to lug around a phone book full of mug shots to verify fans before sketching? Maybe facial recognition widget for their cell phones?

-e.

I read sarcasm in his post. Or perhaps he was just venting...

Seriously though, how on earth is this even going to function? Are artists supposed to lug around a phone book full of mug shots to verify fans before sketching?

Igor - Store away the list of names from the 2009 mid Ohio con with the other volumes.

Yeeesssss Massssterrrrr

Raiders_Of_The_Lost_Ark_Government_.jpg

Maybe this list can be next to the list of people who take the tags off their matresses? Worst. Idea. Ever.

Venting? Good. The actual ability to make this work? Impossible.