• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which artists don't sell their art?

50 posts in this topic

Adrian Tomine of Optic Nerve fame

Actually Adrian sold quite a bit of the first few issues of Optic Nerve before he hit the big-time in the illustration world. Those pages are out there somewhere. I passed because he wanted a whopping $300 for some of those pages. He must be crazy, right?

-e.

Kelley Jones doesn't sell his artwork. All of the pages that I've seen have come from his inkers, etc. I've spoken to friends of Kelley's and he's supposedly saving it for his children.

Kelley Jones doesn't sell his artwork. All of the pages that I've seen have come from his inkers, etc. I've spoken to friends of Kelley's and he's supposedly saving it for his children.

Which is, I think, one reason that some artists don't sell their artwork. It's their version of a 401K -- something of financial value that they're holding for the future.

With the comic art market so hot at this moment in time, this may or may not be a good idea. If the comic fans all die away, the market for comic book OA will weaken...or vanish.

(Sorry, sorry. I'm in a lousy, pessimistic mood at the moment.)

I dont think Eric Larsen sells his art

Albert Moy sells Eric's artwork and has a decent inventory of the stuff.

Savage Dragon art?

I don't think I ever seen any for sale

Just off the fringe for comic collectors, but maybe not art collectors.

Lane Smith, the phenomenal illustrator of Stinky Cheese Man and tons of other kids' books does not sell originals (I bought my wife the only one we've ever seen)

Ralph Steadman does not sell originals, so they are very rare when they appear on the market.

If you see Mark at a convention he has sketches, prelims, and published Covers for sale. You'll have a hard time walking away without something! :grin:

Right, I don't know where all this "Mark Schultz doesn't sell his artwork" stuff came from. Look on CAF and you'll find a fair amount of published covers, illustrations and panel pages in various collectors' galleries (including 2 covers in mine). Heritage has auctioned off a number of his published pieces and a number of pieces have circulated among the OA dealer community as well. (shrug)

If you see Mark at a convention he has sketches, prelims, and published Covers for sale. You'll have a hard time walking away without something! :grin:

Right, I don't know where all this "Mark Schultz doesn't sell his artwork" stuff came from. Look on CAF and you'll find a fair amount of published covers, illustrations and panel pages in various collectors' galleries (including 2 covers in mine). Heritage has auctioned off a number of his published pieces and a number of pieces have circulated among the OA dealer community as well. (shrug)

All the individual pages of the Xenozoic Tales story "Green Air" was auctioned on Heritage a few years ago. I picked up a few pages and they are nice.

I heard that Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo) sells covers, but never the story pages. I met Cary Nord at a con last year and he doesn't sell pages either. He told me he sold a few and later found out he could have got much more. Now he won't sell at all.

Mike

Eric has said that he won't sell any savage dragon art......It's funny cuz he does so many free sketches, but i want a page from the original mini so bad i can taste it. That's what so tough about being an original art collector. If you want a comic you can have it if you have the money. As bad as i want a page it just aint happenin......(i'm kinda drunk, i have a hot girl in my bed and i am posting on a comic book website about how badly i want a savage dragon page. I am officialy lame lol......)

i'm kinda drunk, i have a hot girl in my bed and i am posting on a comic book website about how badly i want a savage dragon page. I am officialy lame lol......)

Pics of the girl or we dont beleive you