• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the dreaded call from CGC today...

309 posts in this topic

Sorry about the "chipping problems," but at least it wasn't "jelly problems" - I can imagine the call - "Sir, did your book have strawberry jam on the cover? I'm sitting here on my lunch break eating my PB+J, and praying to god you happened to send in a book that had a jelly stain on the cover...."

If they did accidentally drop them, why not fess up to it over the phone, rather than calling to inquire if the books happened to have chipping problems....

well the weirdly enough - when I asked for the defects to be more thoroughly explained he never mentioned chipping again... he said that there were color breaking creases on the corners and a spine split... I never did figure out what the chipping was

Considering their turn around times, chipping might not be out of the question

If there is any damage to your comics and corresponding damage to the mylars that CGC transfers your comics to then the damage occurred at CGC and it is their responsibility. Period.

I can not believe that CGC doesn't inspect every box, comic and bag and board as it is unpacked. It is abslutely (darn sticking o key) vital to CGC that they identify shipping damages when books arrive to protect themselves. It is also likely that they record all suspected shipping damage and notify the sender.

This.

Why did they wait a month to call the man? It's awfully convenient that the box is no longer in their possession, convenient for them anyway. Do they just not want to make a claim on the insurance they so readily bill us for once the books are in their hands?

They really don't have a leg to stand on though. The book was sold to a board member by a board member, on these boards, and seen by many other board members while it was being sold. Yes, something could have happened to the box during transit to CGC, but since they didn't make a claim when they received the box, it must have happened in their house. I'm sure they didn't get the parcel and say "Hey, this box has been stepped on by an elephant, I'd better throw it away and wait a month to call the owner!"

The fact that there's two different stories from two different people indicates there was a snafu at CGC and they haven't gotten their stories straight yet.

I've never experienced anything quite that fishy, but the last time I submitted I also received a call from CGC. At the time they claimed they couldn't find my submission sheet with a signature for payment. I explained to them how I packaged everything and exactly where in the package the sheet was (it was right on top of the first book under the top layer of cardboard). The gentlemen hung up and I never heard back from him and the order went through with no additional hiccups.

Needless to say, I would have liked a confirmation call letting me know everything was OK and then of course I started to worry about quality control in general. I understand they have a lot of submissions coming through the door on a daily basis and things happen, but ugh, those calls just aren't fun. On the positive side, I was glad they at least called at all. Some companies would just leave you in the dark and return your order.

I had some books damaged by CGC. I did not have images of the books so I really lost out. It's OK, it was not an Action 1 or anything like that.

Based on their suggestion, I now scan every book that I ever send in. Lately that is not too many! If a problem arises I can send a jpg image/copy of the book when I had it. It is the best way to avoid future problems like this. Things happen, especially when you grade a zillion books a year. It is hard to avoid problems.

I had some books damaged by CGC. I did not have images of the books so I really lost out. It's OK, it was not an Action 1 or anything like that.

Based on their suggestion, I now scan every book that I ever send in. Lately that is not too many! If a problem arises I can send a jpg image/copy of the book when I had it. It is the best way to avoid future problems like this. Things happen, especially when you grade a zillion books a year. It is hard to avoid problems.

I will take this a advice

I will take this a advice

As will I.

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your books being damaged. Their story does not add up and I would contact Mark Haspel like someone else suggested. If the books were damaged in transit, and you insured them, you should be able to file a claim with the post office. If they were damaged at CGC they should own up and compensate you. It the box was damaged you should have been contacted asap and the box should have been saved. Either way looks like they dropped the ball.

I keep scans of all the books I sell so pm me if you need them.

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your books being damaged. Their story does not add up and I would contact Mark Haspel like someone else suggested. If the books were damaged in transit, and you insured them, you should be able to file a claim with the post office. If they were damaged at CGC they should own up and compensate you. It the box was damaged you should have been contacted asap and the box should have been saved. Either way looks like they dropped the ball.

(worship) (worship)

If that were true, my wife would always get it her way...many times companies put the

"mute" button when they are tired of you...

That's when you contact the Better Business Bureau or consumer advocacy groups, file in small claims court, whatever. It's really not that complicated, and companies count on people just throwing in the towel.

Hi Jason,

thanks!!! (worship)

If there is any damage to your comics and corresponding damage to the mylars that CGC transfers your comics to then the damage occurred at CGC and it is their responsibility. Period.

I can not believe that CGC doesn't inspect every box, comic and bag and board as it is unpacked. It is abslutely (darn sticking o key) vital to CGC that they identify shipping damages when books arrive to protect themselves. It is also likely that they record all suspected shipping damage and notify the sender.

This.

Why did they wait a month to call the man? It's awfully convenient that the box is no longer in their possession, convenient for them anyway. Do they just not want to make a claim on the insurance they so readily bill us for once the books are in their hands?

They really don't have a leg to stand on though. The book was sold to a board member by a board member, on these boards, and seen by many other board members while it was being sold. Yes, something could have happened to the box during transit to CGC, but since they didn't make a claim when they received the box, it must have happened in their house. I'm sure they didn't get the parcel and say "Hey, this box has been stepped on by an elephant, I'd better throw it away and wait a month to call the owner!"

The fact that there's two different stories from two different people indicates there was a snafu at CGC and they haven't gotten their stories straight yet.

^^

I hate to hear this, as it would bug me all weekend after knowing what I sent in is not what is being described.

Cannot wait to hear how this turns out, but scanning every book submitted may be the best advice I've read yet as I was just trusting in the process there was plenty of controls throughout.

The book was sold to a board member by a board member, on these boards, and seen by many other board members while it was being sold.

This is what I love about the situation. The books have been seen by many on here that deal with CGC.

But it sounds like someone dropped the books, although the "chipping" thing I just cannot get my mind around from the photo shown of that book. Marvel chipping is pretty substantial when it starts, and I sure don't see it in that photo.

I once bought a ToS39 on eBay. Based on comparing the seller's auction scan with the book I received, the following things apparently happened while in transit: covers detached, entire corner of book torn off, colors faded, page quality went from white to brittle, and someone wrote their name on the cover.

Dang seller really should have packed it better.