• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the dreaded call from CGC today...

309 posts in this topic

Thanks guys.

It did put things into perspective for me.

As for the books, I asked Mark what would happen to the books - I was curious because I thought I had read somewhere that CGC employees could not buy or sell comics.

His reply was that they would go in a box in some closet. My reply was something along the lines of, if that's the case whats the big deal if you just send them back to me. To which he replied "They would become property of CGC" - which meant in a polite way - "none of your darn business".

So who knows - as far as I know they go into a box in a cgc storage closet/room.

Its nice to see that the company did the right thing. :applause:

Its the win-win thing to do after an accident like this.

I wonder if this thread had any bearing on that? hm

My thoughts? who knows-It probably did. Thanks to everyone that posted in the thread. This community of collectors and dealers is a unique thing. Most people wouldn't give a but there is a strong sense of unity here that can't be denied.

Thanks guys.

It did put things into perspective for me.

As for the books, I asked Mark what would happen to the books - I was curious because I thought I had read somewhere that CGC employees could not buy or sell comics.

His reply was that they would go in a box in some closet. My reply was something along the lines of, if that's the case whats the big deal if you just send them back to me. To which he replied "They would become property of CGC" - which meant in a polite way - "none of your darn business".

So who knows - as far as I know they go into a box in a cgc storage closet/room.

My thoughts? who knows - It probably did. Thanks to everyone that posted in the thread. This community of collectors and dealers is a unique thing. Most people wouldn't give a but there is a strong sense of unity here that can't be denied.

sorry about the double post!

It is untrue that CGC employees cannot buy or sell comic books. They can BUY comic books... they just cannot sell them while they are employed at CGC. (Actually, I think it originally said "commercially buy and sell" but I don't know if it's been amended.)

They're all comic book collectors (which is why most of them became involved with CGC), so asking them to give up comic collecting seems contrary to the intent of furthering the hobby. I.E. That would mean they couldn't read comic books if they couldn't buy them.

It is untrue that CGC employees cannot buy or sell comic books. They can BUY comic books... they just cannot sell them while they are employed at CGC. (Actually, I think it originally said "commercially buy and sell" but I don't know if it's been amended.)

They're all comic book collectors (which is why most of them became involved with CGC), so asking them to give up comic collecting seems contrary to the intent of furthering the hobby. I.E. That would mean they couldn't read comic books if they couldn't buy them.

Shin,

I also think that any constraints applies to slabbed books only. hm Now, buying raw and submitting them might be a 'no-no'.

As for selling items, they apparently can, but only if they apply to the higher-ups before doing so.

(thumbs u makes sense

I can't see how a solid book (i.e. not brittle) could get a spine split through shipping damage. That could only happen if the cover is pulled back, or if something scrapes the book from the top or bottom and pulls the spine apart. This simply couldn't happen when a book is inside a package and inside mylar.

Drop a comic, even in mylar, and if it lands on its corner it can spine split.

I once had half of like a 40 book shipment of books come to me like this when shipped. They weren't in mylar, but rather, a box that fit them pretty well, but the bouncing around caused spine splits. The seller sent me replacement copies, properly packed, so I can't kvetch too much.

:news:I spoke with Mark Haspel and we came to a resolution that I am happy with. They have bought back my 3 damaged books for $500(full insurance value plus $50) in CGC grading credit. They will also reimburse me for the 3 grading fees on economy fast track tier of those damaged books. ($33.30 x3) AND he will expedite that submission to a 5 day turn around!! :o

SO $600 worth of grading with a 1 week turn-around time!!

downside - I will not be getting the books back.

Personally, I think the resolution is a fair one and I am happy to move on.

what do you guys think?

So this all turned out good?

Been without phone for two+ days and was wondering how this would finish...