• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man, did I drop the ball on this CLink auction.

20 posts in this topic

Sometimes you simply do not do the right thing.

I had been following this book ever since the preview went live, and really wanted to take a hard run at it. I put up a decent bid that I was using as a placeholder, but was planning to bid more aggressively on the final day. Things changed and I decided to focus on another book instead, but was going to continue tracking this one. I honestly thought that the book would sell for a price that I was not going to be able to pay. I wasn't able to log on last night and completely missed out on a hell of a deal. This book is the highest graded copy, a classic cover, and sold for almost 600 less than OPG. :o

This is one that I am always going to regret letting get away.

Oh well, it is just a funny book. :P

http://www.comiclink.com/./Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2Fauctions%2Fbids%2Easp&id=792374

Join the club. The Crime Illustrated #1 Gaines 9.8 went for $500! I would have been a buyer at a much higher price but I wasn't able to bid on the last day either :(

I had been following this book ever since the preview went live, and really wanted to take a hard run at it. I put up a decent bid that I was using as a placeholder, but was planning to bid more aggressively on the final day. Things changed and I decided to focus on another book instead, but was going to continue tracking this one. I honestly thought that the book would sell for a price that I was not going to be able to pay. I wasn't able to log on last night and completely missed out on a hell of a deal. This book is the highest graded copy, a classic cover, and sold for almost 600 less than OPG. :o

http://www.comiclink.com/./Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2Fauctions%2Fbids%2Easp&id=792374

What an awfully low price on a desirable book. CHEAP. I hate to be the consignor of that book.

Join the club. The Crime Illustrated #1 Gaines 9.8 went for $500! I would have been a buyer at a much higher price but I wasn't able to bid on the last day either :(

Gaines books went for much less than I thought. doh!

Ken

I saw that book with a day to go and figured the price would spike accordingly, but it never did. Sorry you missed out on it, Scott

Hey Scott, :hi:

I thought it was extremely low--almost made a run at it myself.

One of the Gaines file copies of this book (not sure if it's the same one -- might have been 9.6 or 9.4) sold on eBay for $300 around Christmas time.

Don't tell me that! I'd love having just one Gaines book!

Oh, well. :(

I think filter81 has a bunch for sale (thumbs u

I think he was looking for a bargain..... :baiting:

Don't tell me that! I'd love having just one Gaines book!

Oh, well. :(

I think filter81 has a bunch for sale (thumbs u

I think he was looking for a bargain..... :baiting:

I bet filter would make them a bargain, given how dead the gaines books are these days (thumbs u

I bet filter would make them a bargain, given how dead the gaines books are these days (thumbs u

Why are the Gaines books dead?

I don't know why, either, but I just know that as soon as I have some $ to spend, they will be red hot an unaffordable for chumps like me. Boourns.

at one point, the gaines copies were kind of "special" due to their great state of preservation...however, so many of the previous highest graded copies are now not so "special" because lots of previous lower graded copies have been pressed into "equal" higher graded copies...naturally, more supply at a certain level relative to demand, affects price...

so, by "dead" I mean the astronomical prices they once fetched, they don't seem to get close to these days... could also be a myriad of other reasons, but that is one I have heard multiple HG gaines collectors mention

I don't know why, either, but I just know that as soon as I have some $ to spend, they will be red hot an unaffordable for chumps like me. Boourns.

Amen, Brother!

Someday, though, I'll find a VF-ish Gaines war comic and make it happen. After the cards are paid off. And the car. Student loans, too...

:sorry:

at one point, the gaines copies were kind of "special" due to their great state of preservation...however, so many of the previous highest graded copies are now not so "special" because lots of previous lower graded copies have been pressed into "equal" higher graded copies...naturally, more supply at a certain level relative to demand, affects price...

so, by "dead" I mean the astronomical prices they once fetched, they don't seem to get close to these days... could also be a myriad of other reasons, but that is one I have heard multiple HG gaines collectors mention

I think to that the impression that there are quite a few multiple copies in ultra high grade have made the key issues almost have a "warehouse find" effect. I don't know if that's quite accurate, but it is a hunch on my part. (shrug)