• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2021 at 1:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I like the way that he's covered from head to toe in armour, but still put his suit on. That's a classy villain :bigsmile:

Well he was probably expecting guests for his cave-warming party and got fancied up a bit. Ya only get one chance to make a first impression! ;) 

On 10/23/2021 at 9:38 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Well he was probably expecting guests for his cave-warming party and got fancied up a bit. Ya only get one chance to make a first impression! ;) 

:bigsmile:

I can see him bringing out a big plate of Ferrero Rocher. "Oh, Iron Mask, you are spoiling us." 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Won a pair of nice copies last night. 

Two-Gun Kid 80 9.6 w front.jpg

How can two of the West's greatest sharp shooters fire four shots between them, two each, and miss each other both times from eight feet? :bigsmile:

The blokes in the background must be rolling up. Even the horse would be on target from that distance.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

How can two of the West's greatest sharp shooters fire four shots between them, two each, and miss each other both times from eight feet? :bigsmile:

The blokes in the background must be rolling up. Even the horse would be on target from that distance.

I was thinking the exact same thing as soon as I saw that cover!  Kirby's job is a lot harder when neither combatant has Captain America's shield, Iron Man's armor, or Thor's spinning hammer ... the only way for anyone to survive is to get lucky.

For some reason this is reminding me of watching the A-Team as a kid ... that show featured tons of gunshots but nobody EVER got hit with a bullet, probably because the show aired at 8:00 PM and had to be "family friendly" (it was borderline designed for kids to watch).  Guys would fire machine guns and you would just see the little strip of tiny explosions along the ground, the bad guys always seeming to aim just below the good guys' feet -- that sort of thing.

The need to avoid actual violence required increasingly absurd -script-writing, culminating in what I distinctly remember as the point in time when I gave up on the show.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the cabbage cannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwEc4lFpWI

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 11/4/2021 at 12:48 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Probably not. The Silver Age portion for sure and I DO have some Bronze, but that seems like too many books.

Too many books that are super hard to come by.  I guess it depends on where you set the bar on grade, because I'm sure a full run of readers would be pretty easy but a full run of 9.4s or even 9.0+ is probably extremely difficult.

On 11/4/2021 at 4:43 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing as soon as I saw that cover!  Kirby's job is a lot harder when neither combatant has Captain America's shield, Iron Man's armor, or Thor's spinning hammer ... the only way for anyone to survive is to get lucky.

For some reason this is reminding me of watching the A-Team as a kid ... that show featured tons of gunshots but nobody EVER got hit with a bullet, probably because the show aired at 8:00 PM and had to be "family friendly" (it was borderline designed for kids to watch).  Guys would fire machine guns and you would just see the little strip of tiny explosions along the ground, the bad guys always seeming to aim just below the good guys' feet -- that sort of thing.

The need to avoid actual violence required increasingly absurd --script-writing, culminating in what I distinctly remember as the point in time when I gave up on the show.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the cabbage cannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwEc4lFpWI

I remember that one! 

It must have been hard, doing the western comics, trying to find ways every issue to make sure the protagonist never actually got shot. Look at Frisco's RK54 back there - eight shots fired and not one even remotely on target. Just a bunch of blokes shooting randomly into the air :grin:

On 11/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, KirbyJack said:

Don’t knock randomly shooting into the air until you’ve tried it.

Tried it. Now I have lots of dead birds in my back garden hm

On 11/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, KirbyJack said:

Glad I quit on the A-Team before I was subjected to the cabbage cannon.

Ain't gettin on no plane! Someone down there keeps shooting at em.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:19 AM, Garystar said:

Posted my earlier issues previously somewhere but thought opportunity to do so again;

8FB483D5-3AFC-4B43-86FF-E9E9D60614D2.jpeg.f3180656f3a0c7c117701d3383d67b7d.jpeg

Always impressive to see these all together - I particularly love that #17-40 cover run. Great books, pence or cents. 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Too many books that are super hard to come by.  I guess it depends on where you set the bar on grade, because I'm sure a full run of readers would be pretty easy but a full run of 9.4s or even 9.0+ is probably extremely difficult.

I'm pretty sure I could assemble it with a 9.0 minimum, but it's the sheer volume of books (157 for the full CGC set) that I really wouldn't be looking forward to housing. That'd be somewhere in the 6 to 7 CGC boxes range for just that run!!!! Also, somewhere in the Bronze Age the run starts to reprint a lot of issues, so I don't know if I'll do it. Maybe.