• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first comic-book memory

37 posts in this topic

I seen many comics in my day before this memory because I was the youngest and

I always got coverless hand me down SA comics...

But in the early 70's I remember the first comic I bought

in the summer of '75 a copy of ASM 147 for a quarter

only 25 cent and no tax.

:cloud9:

When i was four i woke up and went downstairs to find my Dad sorting his collection into piles.

I remember seeing Doc Strange 169. It stays with me to this day.

Around the same time Dad gave me some to look through and i particularly remember Marvel Two in One 20. My fave childhood title to this day. Neil

When I was around 8 or so, my family wasn't well of money wise. The market my mom shopped at carried comic books and she noticed a stack of coverless comics sitting around in the store on a few occasions.

Mom asked about the books and the manager old her she could have them - this was back in the day when the covers were torn off and sent in to the distributor. So mom would stop by and pick up books for me. I had tons of great coverless comics and can remember reading Legion of Superheroes being one of the first books I ever read.

Mom was simply the best. (worship)

When I was around 8 or so, my family wasn't well of money wise. The market my mom shopped at carried comic books and she noticed a stack of coverless comics sitting around in the store on a few occasions.

Mom asked about the books and the manager old her she could have them - this was back in the day when the covers were torn off and sent in to the distributor. So mom would stop by and pick up books for me. I had tons of great coverless comics and can remember reading Legion of Superheroes being one of the first books I ever read.

Mom was simply the best. (worship)

That story is so cool....my mom used to bring them home from thrift shops and yard sales.She would also cut checks for me when I would save enough money up for a Rogofsky order...never once did she say, "why in the hell are you spending 5 dollars on a 12 cent funny book !!???". Not all moms threw them away, thank goodness...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was such a big Spider-Man fan, that my parents let me get a subscription for Amazing Spider-Man when I was 8 years old for 6 months, so I remember getting ASM 182-187 sent to me at home. I still remember the excitement of waiting for each issue to come in the mail. These were my very first comics and I remember my friends would come over just to read them with me. And now those are my favourite comics.

AmazingSpider-Man182.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man183.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man184.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man185.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man186.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man187.jpg

Memories of earliest comics in two parts.

The first is driving into Brooklyn from Long Island with my dad and younger sister to visit my uncle and grandmother. They lived in the house that my dad and his brother had their dental practice.

My older cousin seemed to have an allowance for comics that most of us would have died for. And all of his read-once comics went into a closet in the office. My dad and uncle would put them out in the waiting room for the kids to read. My sister and I would spend the time after we finished our visit picking up issues that we would take home. Hawkman, Adam Strange, Blackhawk, Metal Men - all of the "non-star" DC titles somehow managed to make it back to Long Island... where they lived for a few years and my mom gave 'em away at a rummage sale!

The second is being about 8 and waiting for a haircut. I was reading this strange, dark-covered book about some kind of spider-guy with weird powers (very not DC!). My turn for the haircut and the barber tells me I can keep the book. To which my dad responded, "No, that's OK, he's got more at home." So much for a reading copy of Amazing Fantasy 15....

Larry

The first is driving into Brooklyn from Long Island with my dad and younger sister to visit my uncle and grandmother. They lived in the house that my dad and his brother had their dental practice.

My older cousin seemed to have an allowance for comics that most of us would have died for. And all of his read-once comics went into a closet in the office. My dad and uncle would put them out in the waiting room for the kids to read. My sister and I would spend the time after we finished our visit picking up issues that we would take home. Hawkman, Adam Strange, Blackhawk, Metal Men - all of the "non-star" DC titles somehow managed to make it back to Long Island... where they lived for a few years and my mom gave 'em away at a rummage sale!

The second is being about 8 and waiting for a haircut. I was reading this strange, dark-covered book about some kind of spider-guy with weird powers (very not DC!). My turn for the haircut and the barber tells me I can keep the book. To which my dad responded, "No, that's OK, he's got more at home." So much for a reading copy of Amazing Fantasy 15....

Larry

Oh ouch...I read your story to a few friends at work and they said the same thing. Well, you've got me...I still have never even held one in my hands...lol

Larry

Oh ouch...I read your story to a few friends at work and they said the same thing. Well, you've got me...I still have never even held one in my hands...lol

It happens... :sorry:

Regrettably that AF15 would have joined the DCs at the rummage sale!

Even now, more than 45 years later, my sister wants me to (and this is a recent quote), "Give it up, Lar, they weren't in any great condition after you read them 100 times!"

Larry

When I was a kid my folks would take us on vacation to Florida every summer. This entailed a 16 hour (or thereabouts) car ride, and Mom and Dad kept me quiet with lots of comics.

My earliest comic book memory is of reading Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics in the backseat of the car. I can no longer remember the exact title or story, but my most vivid early memory involved a story with a giant manowar jellyfish. I can see that illustration in my mind as clear as day. If anyone knows what book it was in (just taking a shot in the dark...I figure if anyone knows, it'd be one of you) I'd love to read that story again!

Also related to those trips, I have very fond memories of another Florida trip as a teenager when I bought a giant stack of 50 cent Justice League books from the lCS and read those all of the way down to Florida and back.

Of course nowadays reading in the car makes me sick. Blech.

My earliest general comic memory involves my family going away on weekends to a summer cottage that my parent's owned. I kept some comics there that included Richie Rich, Uncle Scrooge, Sad Sack, and DC war. I used to eagerly look forward to the first visit so I could read all those again.

Dealing with a specific comic, my earliest memory might be from my copy of Flash 258. That issue ends with the villian, forget his name right now, distinigrating poor Barry. As an impressionable 9 year old, that cover image was burned into my brain for all time and I actually thought he was dead! lol

80595.jpg.e0094d67ca51a7894ff9a42211c553c6.jpg

My earliest memory involves a Thor 210 and an Avengers 113. I broke my orbit bone that summer and had to be in the house for a few weeks while I healed. I read both copies till they fell apart.

IIRC that was the year 1973/74 and it sucked being stuck inside. My eye had hemorrhage internally and they were waiting for the blood to clear out. I have a picture somewhere of me reading the Avengers book but need to dig it out.

I had read some funny animal like Chip and Dale, Pink Panther and what not, probably some Archie too, but the first specific comic that I actually remember reading was X-Men 99 which was passed down to me by my big bro after the cover had got knocked off. I read it a few times and remember looking at that next issue preview panel, wondering how this old team vs. new team battle was going to work out. I was genuinely excited about comics for the first time.

Thank you Chris Claremont!

My earliest comic book memory is my mom putting my name on the covers of about five of my Donald Duck, Chip and Dale, Popeye, etc. Whitmans so that I could take them on a field trip. :cloud9:

Lots of fond memories 1978-1984 for those Whitman Duck, et.al.

My first superhero memory is picking up Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man 99, starring THE SPOT! :headbang: hehe. soon after, picked up Amazings 268/269/270, and the rest was history.

Cool idea for a thread!

My earliest memories are of the box of comics at the office of my pediatrician. I'm sure I flipped through the comics, but nothing made a strong enough impression that I can remember any title clearly. Probably stuff like the Pink Panther, Woody Woodpecker and so on, although I like to imagine there was an issue of Ghosts or some other DC horror title that spooked my little mind.

After that, it would have to be some time in 1978, when my mom bought for me Star Wars #11 when I was home with the flu.

I remember being confused and bitterly disappointed that it had almost nothing to do with the movie. Luke fighting a sea serpent? What the heck?

So I didn't catch the comic bug. I read Mad Magazine instead. Later, in 1983, some classmate told me about the X-Men and that's when the bug really bit me.