• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first golden/atom age book?

77 posts in this topic

I have posted this before but, my first GA book that I actually remember was Action Comics #29 CGC 4.0 that my wife gave to me as a Christmas present in December 2004 Unfortunately, I had to sell it in 2005. The good news is that I was able to replace it last fall.

Here's the two books!

actioncomics29001.jpg

Action29CGC60loislane005.jpg

That is one of my favourite covers from the entire run... just quintessential forties Superman, IMHO...

I've posted this before but love to show it. PIcked it up plus #s 11, 13 and 14 for $50 when I was a teenager at a second hand bookstore that put comics under the counter for me. I didn't really want it as I was a Marvel SA zombie and $50 was a lot of money to me back then but I figured if I passed on the books the bookstore might quit saving comics for me

It's funny how much a book grows on you as I love this comic now.

wonder15.jpg

If my memory serves me well, my very first GA book was a Marvel Mystery Comics # 90. I thought the art sucked, but I was a Marvel Zombie SA collector then. Hadn't yet acquired a taste for the finer things in life. :P

Just about my first CBG had the debut of the Comic Trader section in the back so individuals could get cheaper ads and I bought Batman 21, 30, 61, and Tec 116 from someone's ad. Absolutely amazing to get that package because I lived in a very small town. I'd never seen a comic older than the mid-1950s at that point.

Cool thread.

All Star Comics # 31 CF missing for $ 20 about 20 years ago .

Still have it . Would grade about VG with the CF missing . What a great way to be introduced to the Golden Age . Flash , Hawkman , ETC..

the first one I ever bought was a Superman #11 thru mail order in supposed VF condition, when it arrived, it was no more than a VG minus. so I promptly sent it back for a full refund, which I got no questions asked, but the first GA book I ever bought and kept was Action Comics #44 which I bought mail order from Jeff Hinds Comics around 1992. Can't remember what Jeff had it graded at. I paid I think $300.

still have that book to this day :cloud9:

ActionComics44.jpg

All Star 23 was my first real golden age book. It is long gone but I still have an All Star 32 which was my second All Star purchase.

2404630826_d48a06d053_b.jpg

This Detective comic was purchased by me in the sixties.

3192428003_c63056473c_o.jpg

My first.....and probably still my favorite one. The first Atom Age book that I sought actively back in the mid 1980's. Had Bill Gaines sign the first page at a con in 1990. A prized possession for me.

CrimeSuspenstories22.jpg

Gorgeous copy...Nicer than mine...Here it is... :tonofbricks:

CrimeSuspense22.jpg

Wonder Woman 18 was my first GA book. I received it as a Christmas present from my parents when I was around 8 or 9 years old. It had been on the wall of the LCS and I always asked my Father to buy it for me everytime we went it. It was a whopping $60 which to me was an insurmountable amount of money. One day we came into the store and it was gone. I was heartbroken. Imagine my surprise on Christmas morning when I opened the package and there she was!

WonderWoman18001.jpg