• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first golden/atom age book?

77 posts in this topic

Right after I purchased my copies of the Photo-Journal Guide To Comics, I spent a lot of time looking at the covers and writing down books that I would like to own someday. Most of these I had never seen before and golden age comics seemed like some type of new and exotic field to delve into. One of the books on my list was Headline Comics 10. I just liked the cover art and thought it was really unique. This was about the time Josh had started Comiclink and I decided to see if any of the books on my list were for sale on his site. I could not believe it when he had the Mile High copies of Headline 8, 9 and 10 for sale. I bought the 10 first and shortly after, the 9 but foolishly passed on the 8 because it was $150 more than the other two at the time. doh! I still have the 10 and to this day still love the cover.

Ken

headline10.jpg

Right after I purchased my copies of the Photo-Journal Guide To Comics, I spent a lot of time looking at the covers and writing down books that I would like to own someday. Most of these I had never seen before and golden age comics seemed like some type of new and exotic field to delve into. One of the books on my list was Headline Comics 10. I just liked the cover art and thought it was really unique. This was about the time Josh had started Comiclink and I decided to see if any of the books on my list were for sale on his site. I could not believe it when he had the Mile High copies of Headline 8, 9 and 10 for sale. I bought the 10 first and shortly after, the 9 but foolishly passed on the 8 because it was $150 more than the other two at the time. doh! I still have the 10 and to this day still love the cover.

Ken

headline10.jpg

I don't ever recall seeing it... nice!

Ken

headline10.jpg

i love that cover too, sir. very, very nice.

Marvel Mystery Comics #65 bought when I was in junior high or high school - I know it was before I was 16 because I wasn't driving yet. So that would have been mid-late 1970s. I still have it - here is the pic.

mmc65.jpg

My first was a Marvel Mystery 17....that a rat had chewed off about an inch off of the upper right corner...but otherwise VF lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

still have my first one, cap 9. not scanned, but i'll fix that tonite.

You also have my first Timely, Marvel Mystery 72, which I bought from Tanner Miles at a Houston Con in the early '70s for $25.

You also have my first Timely, Marvel Mystery 72, which I bought from Tanner Miles at a Houston Con in the early '70s for $25.

And you have my first Timely. The Cap #39 that I got from Dave Smith about 20 years ago.

i traded that one for a 4.5 [slight] major inapak.

And you have my first Timely. The Cap #39 that I got from Dave Smith about 20 years ago.

and you have my LAST timely, the KC marvel 1 that I got from a little old lady with a "geaux Tiger" tattoo

and you have my LAST timely, the KC marvel 1 that I got from a little old lady with a "geaux Tiger" tattoo

Icongeauxtigers.png

KansasCity.jpg

cap39.jpg

I love how we all share around here (thumbs u

cap39.jpg

not all of us; pons won't share his fantastics with me.

cap39.jpg

not all of us; pons won't share his fantastics with me.

make him an offer he can't refuse (50cents on the $ should do it lol )

I have posted this before but, my first GA book that I actually remember was Action Comics #29 CGC 4.0 that my wife gave to me as a Christmas present in December 2004 Unfortunately, I had to sell it in 2005. The good news is that I was able to replace it last fall.

Here's the two books!

actioncomics29001.jpg

Action29CGC60loislane005.jpg

Although I have some world war two era men's humor magazines, this is the oldest comic I have. Atom age I suspect. It was one of a few pearls buried in a couple of boxes of modern drek.

seadevilsa.jpg

Four Color 48 (Porky Pig by Carl Barks)

Weird Science-Fantasy 29

Got 'em both the same day at the LCS not too long after I got my first real job.

Oh, I might've had the odd issue of Tip Top or something laying around but these are the first two I bought with my own cash money.

Unfortunately, both are long since gone. I've had a couple more WSF 29's since then but never another FC 48