• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first golden/atom age book?

77 posts in this topic

The first GA books I owned for less than an hour were some Timelys I picked up at Comic Con in 1978. The first was a Marvel Mystery that turned out to not have the centerfold so I returned it. The second was a Captain America that I promptly "upgraded" to a copy of Bode's Das Kampf and the National Lampoon 3D Special with glasses. I don't remember the issue numbers on either one, just that the MM cost $20 and the Cap I got in trade for a copy of X-Men 94 I had laying around and some other stuff.

The first GA I owned for more than an hour was a Subby 13 I picked up in the 90's for $100. That is presently owned by Goldust40 until I get it back one day.

My local second hand bookstore put old comics under the counter for me. One day I stopped by and they showed me Wonder Comics 11, 13, 14 and 15. I was into SA Marvel but figured if I didn't take the books the store would stop holding books for me. Paid $50 30 years ago which was a huge amount for me at the age of 17. Still have the #15 and it has grown on me.

wonder15.jpg

My local second hand bookstore put old comics under the counter for me. One day I stopped by and they showed me Wonder Comics 11, 13, 14 and 15. I was into SA Marvel but figured if I didn't take the books the store would stop holding books for me. Paid $50 30 years ago which was a huge amount for me at the age of 17. Still have the #15 and it has grown on me.

wonder15.jpg

love it...wish I had a 14

love it...wish I had a 14

Sold the 14 a couple of VCCs back. The nicest grade was the 15 I kept. Looking at the scan I'm a little concerned about the hair in the shape of a stickman on the scanner bed.

Here's mine - bought it about five years ago with little idea of what was to follow. I paid about US$25 for it and thought that was a lot for a comic book. :whistle:

wdcs75.jpg

My 1st significant (over $100) GA purchase was Batman #23 Joker cover during the summer of 1989(?) with the Batman 1 movie hype. Before that, I had bought a bundle of vf EC's from Wondercon when it was still in Oakland, CA circa 1988. :golfclap:

I believe it was a low grade Supe 15 or Action 35 in the early '90s...My first Timely was a Human Torch #4(5) that I picked up at Wondercon 1996 from Mike Carbonaro. I traded 20 SA Marvels for that book :D

Pep 9 (Detroit Trolley copy) is my first GA book. I only got it about a month ago. I have two more early MLJ books on the way as we speak. I must say I am hooked!

Pep9FC.jpg

I'm a sucker for cover swipes, and I immediately thought that I had seen this cover somewhere before. Sure enough, Black Cobra #6 (1955) has almost the exact same pose/scene.

Very nice thread topic Jeff...I can't recall my first GA overall, but my first Timely was a VG/F Human Torch #4(5) that I acquired at the '96 Wondercon from Mike Carbanaro. I think I traded 10-15 SA Marvels like Hulks 2/3, FF 5-13, Avengers 1, ASM 2-5 for the book...1st GA Timely "key" was a Torch 8 and All Select 1 which I picked up within that same year...prior to me getting the Timely bug, I recall have low graders of Supe 15 and Action 35...

Even when I was a kid ('80s) I loved GA comics and bought them whenever I found them at flea markets. Unfortunately they were never very valuable. A few I remember were Daredevil, Looney Toons, and Archie issues.

Purchased at the LCS back in the early 80's for $10 or so. Prior to that I was just a casual SA collector. Don't really know why I picked this one up (other than it was cheap). Something about Jr. surfing on a shark just made me smile.

master116.jpg