• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare in High Grade

72 posts in this topic

I wonder which Silver-Age book (1956) to 1969 Is the hardest book to find in High Grade.

I believe that Fantastic Four #1 probably is based on the fact that it has a White Cover. However they may be a white or black cover book that is harder to find

DC War and Marvel Westerns from 1957-1962.

They do not exist in grades above 7-8.

(Yes, that's a generalization, kids, there are a few exceptions that make the rule.)

I seriously doubt there's a single key from that era and those genres that exists above 9.0. I will be dancing for joy if there is.

They make FF #1 and the other Marvel Superhero keys look as common as early 90's books.....

Unfortunately, there was no Edgar Church around keeping perfect copies from this era.

(And the "white cover" and "black cover" thing is a myth. ;) )

It would be simpler if we narrowed it down to , say, Marvel superheros....or D.C. ....this is such a broad spectrum. We had a thread a while back for Marvel...I'll try to find it and bump it for you. For Marvel keys, it would probably be TTA 27 followed by TTA 35. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

TOS #50

25 years of looking in earnest and I don't think I have ever held a true 9.4.

Census says there are 4 above 9.4, but I have never seen or held one.

DC has alot of books that are just not found in HG at all.

Yeah, if we`re including DC in this conversation then it`d be easier to have a "which DCs are easy to find in HG" conversation, because most are extremely tough.

Yeah, if we`re including DC in this conversation then it`d be easier to have a "which DCs are easy to find in HG" conversation, because most are extremely tough.

Yeah....when talking 1956-1963, Marvel and D.C. really are two TOTALLY different conversations....Western Pennsylvania copies may be the only sharp copies of many of the D.C.'s and I,for one, am not even sure how much depth even exists in that run. That's probably the pedigree that I know the LEAST about. GOD BLESS..

TOS #50

25 years of looking in earnest and I don't think I have ever held a true 9.4.

Census says there are 4 above 9.4, but I have never seen or held one.

Drummy used to have the 9.4 Massachusetts copy, which I FOOLISHLY passed on at 2500 a few years ago. It's long gone now.GOD BLESS...

Strange Adventures #54 - rare as hen's teeth in anything above a 7.5 -- took me years to find a nice copy.

SA_54.jpg

Nothing extra-special about this book except for that its the first CCA issue of this title and it has an extra-large CCA emblem. Hmm. Maybe all that makes it quite special after all.

Bill

Four books published between 1956 and 1969 have been submitted at least 10 times,

without receiving any grades above 7.0.

Little Archie 1 - 0 out of 19 total submissions are CGC 7.5 or higher

Amazing Fantasy 15 United Kingdom- 0 out of 14 total submissions are CGC 7.5 or higher

Tales of the Unexpected 1 - 0 out of 13 total submissions are CGC 7.5 or higher

Star Spangled War Stories 84 - 0 out of 10 total submissions are CGC 7.5 or higher

There are 95 books published between 1956 and 1969 that have been submitted at least 10 times

without any copies graded 9.0 or higher.

How about DC superhero keys? Relatively narrow focus. What do you DC guys think is the toughest? I know Lois Lane 1 doesn't have any graded copies above 7.5. What else?

Strange Adventures #54 - rare as hen's teeth in anything above a 7.5 -- took me years to find a nice copy.

SA_54.jpg

Nothing extra-special about this book except for that its the first CCA issue of this title and it has an extra-large CCA emblem. Hmm. Maybe all that makes it quite special after all.

Bill

Never saw that cover before, I love it.