• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored comics to your door. Sign up inside.

47 posts in this topic

Hey, is anybody interested in checking out some restored comics firsthand? I have had numerous conversations with people about resto detection and words can only convey so much. So I got to thinking(dangerous I know) and felt the best way for people to learn how to spot certain types of resto is to see it in person.

Brilliant right? :insane:

So my idea is this, I will work on several low dollar books that involve most known restoration techniques. Some heavily restored, others only minor, some done properly, others using amature materials. Document what was done to each book and where the work was done and send them out to a person who signed up. They can either try and detect all the work done to the book before looking at the documentation, or they can use it as a cheat sheet of sorts as they look through the books. Once done they will ship them out to the next person on the list.

This isn't a contest, but more just a way for those who may not know what to look for, or even know what they are looking at to become better educated through hands on experience.

If interested send me a PM with your name and mailing addy to sign up, all that is asked is you pay for shipping to the next person on the list to keep things moving.

This wont happen for awhile because I won't work on any books until I see there if there is enough interest to warrant the time.

What say ye?

Great idea. The postage and possible customs fees might make it expensive for Canadian/Internation boardies.

Are there restoration panels at the larger conventions like SDCC? I would love to study restored books and learn about restoration first hand.

Kenny/FFB, are you going to SDCC this year? Will gladly trade beer for info.

I got three Keys that are CGCed that I bought from the same dealer Raw in NJ at a comic show when I was a kid before CGC was the standard. If someone wants to buy them. It can be my "Flat Stanly of Shame" :sorry: for being a trusting insufficiently_thoughtful_person kid. People pass it around, take them to show and get pictures with it and famous people, journal there travels, when and how the cases got damaged, why they smell like beer and old hookers, how it became evidence in a major court case, and the person to own to get it last will sell the story rights to Hollywood because a famous who had it last died from snorting a line of pure cocaine and put the books for auction as the "Flat Stanly of Shame" collection which will be bought by oversea investors for some un-godly amounts and and...:blahblah:

Back to reality I do have three key comic that do have minor color touch up on them that I can't tell on. I never got the notes on them from cgc or if the color touch could every can be un-done because one is a Hulk #181 that was grade as 9.4 that I prized so much till I found it was restored. I wouldn't even know how to price them as if I sold them.

Hey Guys, well turnout was slow at first but we have more then enough people to warrant the time needed to get a stack of books worked up and mailed out.

It's funny how many people PM'ed me to sign up, but didn't want to post in the thread. Is resto so taboo people dont wanna even be seen talking about it!

:eek:

This will obviously take some time to get going , but everyone who signed up will eventually get their turn. I will make up a list and try and coordinate the shipping to keep distance and costs down.

Hey Guys, well turnout was slow at first but we have more then enough people to warrant the time needed to get a stack of books worked up and mailed out.

It's funny how many people PM'ed me to sign up, but didn't want to post in the thread. Is resto so taboo people dont wanna even be seen talking about it!

:eek:

This will obviously take some time to get going , but everyone who signed up will eventually get their turn. I will make up a list and try and coordinate the shipping to keep distance and costs down.

You should take a "before" cover scan and print it out to attach to the "notes" so people can compare and see the difference. (thumbs u

:gossip: unless he already does. :tonofbricks: