• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC comics.... hot or not?

37 posts in this topic

I would say they are not that hot right now but I don't really see them picking up any time soon either... so if you want to sell its probably as good a time as any

I would say they are not that hot right now but I don't really see them picking up any time soon either... so if you want to sell its probably as good a time as any

I go along with this.

They're great books and you should consider whether or not you really want to let them go. You may have seller's remorse later. (shrug)

I am thinking of selling my EC collection which is extensive and am wondering whether it is a good time to do so. Thoughts?

sell now Bro'........EC's, just like most non-Supero comics, are not "hot" now, but that may be the case for a loooooooooooong time. The market, however, is hot, so sell those bad boys while the comics market is strong and prospering for many / most Genres.........

if the market gets "cold", and your books are not "hot", well that's a recipe for :troll::(:pullhair:

Right now if it was me...I would keep them. However (Lord knows we all sell books for different reasons...) it is a personal decision that only you can answer... (shrug) .

(What I CAN tell you, if you do sell this collection,...spending the profits buying Centaurs would not be kool!!!!! :cool:)

At least keep the best of the litter (if you start selling them)...then you'll be able to make a better evaluation at a later time.

..by the way I might be interested in a few Weird-Science Fantasy books... :devil:

I am thinking of selling my EC collection which is extensive and am wondering whether it is a good time to do so. Thoughts?

There's really no reason to hold on to them, Dave, they've been reprinted so often. I sold mine about 10 years ago. Take the dough.

There's really no reason to hold on to them, Dave, they've been reprinted so often. I sold mine about 10 years ago. Take the dough.

seems like sage advice

Outside of a subset of classic covers that always sell for over guide, horror comics in general haven't been hot in a long time, and I don't see anything that's going to change that.

I sold my entire EC collection about 3 years ago on eBay, one book at a time. Like yours, my collection was extensive. My collection was not high grade, most copies were in the G-VG range. I had 385 issues, including complete runs of all the New Trend and New Direction titles. I also had most of the pre-trend stuff, as well as all of the annuals. The first Tales of Terror annual always brings multiples of guide, and mine did as well. It is by far the most sought after EC, other than the Canadian "Weird SuspenStories" books.

I got very good prices for anything with a classic cover. All of the early issues of the horror and sci-fi titles did very well. Overall I was extremely pleased with the prices I got.

I agree with what most people posted above; EC's are not really hot right now, but they aren't likely to get any hotter with the constant reprints coming out. Now is as good a time to sell as any. Good luck!

The great art/stories make these books top reprint candidates. Unfortunately, this means prices for the real deal will remain flat for some time. There are some who just don't like the reprints (like me) and only buy the originals... But there's little seller's risk that prices will spike anytime soon. I wish HOB would bring back Tales/Crypt though.

btw some of us would love to see what you have!

EC RUNDOWN

-----------------------

*** HOT *** : Moon Girl, Crypt of Terror, Tales From the Crypt first 5 issues, Haunt of Fear first 5 issues, Vault of Horror first 5 issues, Modern Love #4 - #6 ("scarce"), A Moon, A Girl...Romance (all hard to find), Tales of Terror Annual #1, 2 and 3, Weird Science-Fantasy Annual #1 (and #2 to lesser degree), Crime/Shock Suspenstories #1-#5, Crime Suspenstories #22 (and a handful of other gruesome covers), Weird Science/Fantasy #1-#5, key issues of Crime Patrol (esp. #16), high-grade War Against Crime, International Crime, International Crime Patrol, Shock Illustrated #3, Confessions Illustrated #1 or #2, Weird Science-Fantasy #29, Weird Suspenstories, Mad #1 or #5 in CGC 5.5 or better...

*** WARM ***: Happy Houlihans #1-2, Mad #2-#33 in high grade, Animal Fables, Animated Comics, Blackstone, Dandy, Panic #1, Psychoanalysis #3, 3-D EC Classics #1 or #2, Tiny Tot, any of the horror/SF titles in high grade, Russ Cochran hardback reprint sets, Picto-Fiction magazines, Reddy Kilowatt, Land of the Lost, Frontline Combat #4, Incredible Science Fiction...

*** NOT HOT ***: Impact, Aces High, Piracy, Psychoanalysis, Valor, Two-Fisted Tales, Frontline Combat, M.D., Picture Stories From the Bible/History/Science/Geekonomics, Moon Girl Gets a Rash, Dandy Combat, Impacted Houligans, Frontline Tots, Weird Pervert-Fantasy, The Old Witch's Eczema Cream Journal, International Haunt of Terror Vaults, Blackstone the Incompetent, Moon Girl Gets a Waxing, Randy Kilowatt, Obese Tots, Psychoanalysis Vol. II: Group Hugging, A Moon, A Girl....Herpes.

ECs in high grade are not hot because of the many gaines file copies. I am always happily surprised at how well GVG-FN horror titles do though.

As for the point about whether horror will ever be hot again, all signs seem to point to unlikely, but what traditionally happens is when superhero comics get too expensive, horror looks like a bargain and they pick up dramatically. That seems to be the way the pendulum has been swinging.

*** NOT HOT ***: Moon Girl Gets a Rash, Dandy Combat, Impacted Houligans, Frontline Tots, Weird Pervert-Fantasy, The Old Witch's Eczema Cream Journal, International Haunt of Terror Vaults, Blackstone the Incompetent, Moon Girl Gets a Waxing, Randy Kilowatt, Obese Tots, Psychoanalysis Vol. II: Group Hugging, A Moon, A Girl....Herpes.

lol! Oh come on, those sound like very intriguing books! lol

ECs in high grade are not hot because of the many gaines file copies. I am always happily surprised at how well GVG-FN horror titles do though.

As for the point about whether horror will ever be hot again, all signs seem to point to unlikely, but what traditionally happens is when superhero comics get too expensive, horror looks like a bargain and they pick up dramatically. That seems to be the way the pendulum has been swinging.

Very true ....GVG-FN EC'S are a bargain due to content / violence and sweet covers.

I would say the mid grades are hot ...

put them up here and lets see!!!!

Thor

Wow. this really comes a shock to me. I have been wanting to get started collecting some horror EC books for a long time. It seems now is as good a time as any. Of course the books I would be looking for would be rather LG. Even a "not hot" EC book in Fine or better is out of my range.

Wow. this really comes a shock to me. I have been wanting to get started collecting some horror EC books for a long time. It seems now is as good a time as any. Of course the books I would be looking for would be rather LG. Even a "not hot" EC book in Fine or better is out of my range.

Swing low...sweet pendulum, swing low! (thumbs u

EC RUNDOWN

-----------------------

*** NOT HOT ***: Impact, Aces High, Piracy, Psychoanalysis, Valor, Two-Fisted Tales, Frontline Combat, M.D., Picture Stories From the Bible/History/Science/Geekonomics, Moon Girl Gets a Rash, Dandy Combat, Impacted Houligans, Frontline Tots, Weird Pervert-Fantasy, The Old Witch's Eczema Cream Journal, International Haunt of Terror Vaults, Blackstone the Incompetent, Moon Girl Gets a Waxing, Randy Kilowatt, Obese Tots, Psychoanalysis Vol. II: Group Hugging, A Moon, A Girl....Herpes.

Who you tryin' to fool, ghoul?? My copies of these ALWAYS sell for x666 guide. :sumo:

show the VG's some luv (thumbs u