• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

I'm a little late but I've been in jail in Mexico. No, I'm not kidding.

Anyway, I am unable to provide any info other than this book was purchased in a complete set in 2002. The set is still together. My request for a scan of the other #3 was denied.

M3.jpg

That's 3.

Excellent.

M3.jpg

Hey that's my book! ;)

I'm new to this forum, but I'm so excited I found it. I had no idea there was still such an interest in these ashcans- I know I still liked having them, but haven't really had anyone to enjoy them with (my husband isn't much of a collector.)

P2190002.jpg

I have a full set of the Maxx ashcans (quick pic shown above) and I bought them in 2002 off of eBay. I still remember bidding on the auction at my old job- definitely not something I needed to be doing on company time, but I could not pass this deal up. It was a Maxx collector's set including the rare Audio Tape for Issues 1-3 w/ info sheet, a full run of The Maxx (which I already had of course! ;)), Gold Foil Maxx 1/2 issue, etc. The ashcans were definitely the prize of the bunch and I can't believe that no one outbid me.

Here's my specs:

#1- 389/4000, 344/1500, 365/500, and 13/50

#2- 249/800, 246/500, 27/150, and 8/50

#3- 246/500, 41/350, 17/100 and 7/50

I also have the famous #5 foil card featuring Mr Gone from the Maxx trading card set. I didn't even believe that card existed till I saw it pop up on eBay a few years ago. I have that set framed- I hotglued them to the frame backing.... just kidding! :grin: I did have them framed though in their proper positions- it's a neat picture when it's all finished.

1st of all :luhv: for that group shot.

2nd of all I think those "EXTREMELY SCARCE" stickers are hilarious.

Yah- those were put on there by the previous owner, so I can't take credit for them. :blush: He had them double bagged and boarded, so I just left them as-is, plus the print run was stickered on each issue, which was pretty helpful.

Wow that is something...very, very nice! You know i remember reading somewhere a few years back vaguely of a person (I was sure it was a woman) that bought the whole set of ashcans off ebay. I couldn't verify if it was true or the source, so i'm happy to know it actually happened and I didn't dream it up, lol.

Those issues look like they're in amazing condition, could you tell us a little more about the history of that set. Did you buy them from Sam Keith directly?

And I guess you wouldn't happen to have extras of either the #3 yellow or #2 red? :acclaim:

1st of all :luhv: for that group shot.

2nd of all I think those "EXTREMELY SCARCE" stickers are hilarious.

Yah- those were put on there by the previous owner, so I can't take credit for them. :blush: He had them double bagged and boarded, so I just left them as-is, plus the print run was stickered on each issue, which was pretty helpful.

Ack! The Black and Yellows should be in Mylar. ;)

Wow that is something...very, very nice! You know i remember reading somewhere a few years back vaguely of a person (I was sure it was a woman) that bought the whole set of ashcans off ebay. I couldn't verify if it was true or the source, so i'm happy to know it actually happened and I didn't dream it up, lol.

Those issues look like they're in amazing condition, could you tell us a little more about the history of that set. Did you buy them from Sam Keith directly?

And I guess you wouldn't happen to have extras of either the #3 yellow or #2 red? :acclaim:

Thank you, thank you. :) And I have to ask, what made you think it was a woman?

I don't think I bought them from Sam- based on feedback I left, I'm 99% sure I bought them from this eBay user: "omo_1_10" back in July 2002. It was a whole set of goodies like I mentioned- he also had a Crow (James O'Barr) collection that I ended up buying from him a few weeks later. Both of the sets were full of rare and not so rare items. And, based on this thread, I can tell some of you like to know what was paid, so, while I don't know an exact number, I want to say it was around $300 for everything. And I don't remember anyone even attempting to snipe me. I was truly stunned, since I knew the ashcans were sort of the holy grail of Maxx comics. I only had a few scattered issues prior to this purchase (which I unloaded right after I received my new set) and I didn't think I would ever see some of them (especially the black issues) on eBay. Again, it was luck.

What I wish I could remember was my maximum bid on this set- I know I had it in the $300's for that Maxx #5 foil card when I bought that in Feb 2006, so I'm sure this set was pretty high up there.

(Thank goodness for feedback, so I can pull up these dates- I never thought I would care about this kind of info. but it's nice to have as a reference.)

I know and I used to co-own a LCS, so you think I would know better. :blush: They've been in a safe for so long though, it would always slip my mind to upgrade the bags.

I am actually thinking about having them CGC graded at SDCC this year- does anyone know how the on-site grading works? Do you get it back the same weekend or do they ship it back to you and you just save the cost of shipping it to them (and eliminate the risk of the comics being damaged en route)? My husband is going to be there with our friend Doug Paskiewicz, so I'm thinking about having him at least take the black issues (I will be home with a fairly new baby and our 3 year old son.) :grin:

I can't remember why I thought the story was a woman, maybe the avatar used was female, or someone alluded to it, it was one of those 'i heard this story from a person but can't remember where' sources...anyways, not really important. Yes that's quite a score, an absolute steal at that price! I don't know what to tell you about not being sniped...I was in my early twenties then and hadn't even looked at a comic in a decade, in fact had i not stumbled on the valiantcomics website in 05 I probably wouldn't own any lol...

Very cool story though, whomever you purchased them from must have been a serious collector and i'm sure your issues are in great shape...I've considered sending a couple of mine off to CGC but don't really see the rush since I'm not gonna sell them anyway. Which leads me to my next point, would you be grading them to potentially sell at sometime in the future?

I am actually thinking about having them CGC graded at SDCC this year- does anyone know how the on-site grading works? Do you get it back the same weekend or do they ship it back to you and you just save the cost of shipping it to them (and eliminate the risk of the comics being damaged en route)? My husband is going to be there with our friend Doug Paskiewicz, so I'm thinking about having him at least take the black issues (I will be home with a fairly new baby and our 3 year old son.) :grin:

CGC doesn't do on-site grading at SDDC - so they'd just accept the comics from you, and ship them back when they're graded (which would probably take about a month).

If you want on-site grading (where they actually grade them during the convention), you'll need to go to either the Philadelphia Comic Con or the Chicago Comic Con.

Which leads me to my next point, would you be grading them to potentially sell at sometime in the future?

I've received a few offers to buy in the past year and every time I consider it, but then I can't come around to actually going through with it. I felt like I wasn't enjoying them, since they've just been sitting in a safe, but I also have very few truly rare Maxx items left. The only thing I knew would make me feel good about a sale, would be if I used the money towards something I would really enjoy. During the last potential trade, I emailed Sam about doing a commissioned piece for me, but he doesn't do them anymore, so that's out the window.

So, I am open to selling them at some point, but I would almost like to trade for something awesome- like a full page Kieth drawing of the Jungle Queen and the Maxx maybe... :) One can dream, right?!

CGC doesn't do on-site grading at SDDC - so they'd just accept the comics from you, and ship them back when they're graded (which would probably take about a month).

If you want on-site grading (where they actually grade them during the convention), you'll need to go to either the Philadelphia Comic Con or the Chicago Comic Con.

Thank you so much for this info. I'm assuming the on-site grading is more expensive, but are the results basically guaranteed to be the same? There's nothing on the label that says that it was an on-site grade?

Thank you so much for this info. I'm assuming the on-site grading is more expensive, but are the results basically guaranteed to be the same? There's nothing on the label that says that it was an on-site grade?

Oh, yes, on-site grading is exactly the same as regular grading - it's just a special service that CGC offers at some of the big conventions. You pay an extra $7-8 pr. book, but get the books back during the convention (instead of the usual 20 business days for moderns).

M3.jpg

Hey that's my book! ;)

I'm new to this forum, but I'm so excited I found it. I had no idea there was still such an interest in these ashcans- I know I still liked having them, but haven't really had anyone to enjoy them with (my husband isn't much of a collector.)

P2190002.jpg

I have a full set of the Maxx ashcans (quick pic shown above) and I bought them in 2002 off of eBay. I still remember bidding on the auction at my old job- definitely not something I needed to be doing on company time, but I could not pass this deal up. It was a Maxx collector's set including the rare Audio Tape for Issues 1-3 w/ info sheet, a full run of The Maxx (which I already had of course! ;)), Gold Foil Maxx 1/2 issue, etc. The ashcans were definitely the prize of the bunch and I can't believe that no one outbid me.

Here's my specs:

#1- 389/4000, 344/1500, 365/500, and 13/50

#2- 249/800, 246/500, 27/150, and 8/50

#3- 246/500, 41/350, 17/100 and 7/50

I also have the famous #5 foil card featuring Mr Gone from the Maxx trading card set. I didn't even believe that card existed till I saw it pop up on eBay a few years ago. I have that set framed- I hotglued them to the frame backing.... just kidding! :grin: I did have them framed though in their proper positions- it's a neat picture when it's all finished.

:hi:

I know you!

You've posted about this before somewhere....but where? We've discussed this, even... hm

Thanks for showing me the first Yellow #2 and #3 that I *think* I've seen, but now that you mention the details of the auction, I remember that one, too.

It sold for wayyyyyy more than I was willing to pay in 2002.

Now, however, it was probably a steal.

Thank you for sharing!

And, based on this thread, I can tell some of you like to know what was paid, so, while I don't know an exact number, I want to say it was around $300 for everything. And I don't remember anyone even attempting to snipe me. I was truly stunned, since I knew the ashcans were sort of the holy grail of Maxx comics.

Yeah, that would have been far, far more than I was willing to pay for these. I do remember that auction. I truly did not understand how rare they were then...almost 8 years ago, now. From my perspective, I had paid, or would soon pay, $1 each for TEN blacks, plus 35 #1 reds and about 15 #1 blues, so $300 at that time was a :screwy: price...from THAT perspective, of course. Now, it turns out, it was a steal of a deal. Congrats!

I only had a few scattered issues prior to this purchase (which I unloaded right after I received my new set) and I didn't think I would ever see some of them (especially the black issues) on eBay. Again, it was luck.

What I wish I could remember was my maximum bid on this set- I know I had it in the $300's for that Maxx #5 foil card when I bought that in Feb 2006, so I'm sure this set was pretty high up there.

(Thank goodness for feedback, so I can pull up these dates- I never thought I would care about this kind of info. but it's nice to have as a reference.)

I do a LOT of research using old feedback. My only regret is that I didn't use it to record what I bought, and how much I paid in the reply itself. Argh! Thank the Lord for Paypal records. ;)

I know and I used to co-own a LCS, so you think I would know better. :blush: They've been in a safe for so long though, it would always slip my mind to upgrade the bags.

SDCC didn't have onsite grading last year, and they may not this year. hm

At cons that do, if you drop it off by a set time (usually Sunday morning), onsite grading is same weekend. Best bet would be to drop it off Friday AM.

Good luck! Let us know your results!

I know you!

You've posted about this before somewhere....but where? We've discussed this, even...

I've posted on The Outback Livejournal forum a few times, but it's been a long time since that forum was very active. Maybe there?

Yeah, that would have been far, far more than I was willing to pay for these. I do remember that auction. I truly did not understand how rare they were then...almost 8 years ago, now. From my perspective, I had paid, or would soon pay, $1 each for TEN blacks, plus 35 #1 reds and about 15 #1 blues, so $300 at that time was a :screwy: price...from THAT perspective, of course. Now, it turns out, it was a steal of a deal. Congrats!

Yah- you did get a great price on those books- you can't beat $60 for 60 ashcans! :) For me, even now, I'm a completist, so having a complete set was more important than quantity...although I definitely would have preferred to have only spent $12, rather than $300 (although that also included a lot of other Maxx items- I would say I probably spent $150 on the ashcans if you break down the cost of the lot.)

At the time, I had a few Maxx ashcans already- the rarest being a yellow #2, so I quickly unloaded those- according to PayPal, I sold a red #2, yellow #1, and a yellow #2 for $155.00 in August 2002 (RMA- I wasn't the one you bought a Yellow #1 from for $50, was I?). I also sold my 2 extra blue #1 and maybe #2 that month for less than $60.

I do a LOT of research using old feedback. My only regret is that I didn't use it to record what I bought, and how much I paid in the reply itself. Argh! Thank the Lord for Paypal records. ;)

Duh- didn't even think about PayPal?! Unfortunately, I just checked and it looks like this was a money order/check payment.

Good luck! Let us know your results!

Will do! :)

Edited by ibeforej

Yah- you did get a great price on those books- you can't beat $60 for 60 ashcans! :) For me, even now, I'm a completist, so having a complete set was more important than quantity...although I definitely would have preferred to have only spent $12, rather than $300 (although that also included a lot of other Maxx items- I would say I probably spent $150 on the ashcans if you break down the cost of the lot.)

I would love to have a complete set. I've offered my black #2s for the other 5 I don't have (Yellow #2, #3, Black #1, Red #2, Blue #3) for a while, but no takers.

Even when I stumbled on the blacks...as excited as I was, I still didn't really know their true demand.

At the time, I had a few Maxx ashcans already- the rarest being a yellow #2, so I quickly unloaded those- according to PayPal, I sold a red #2, yellow #1, and a yellow #2 for $155.00 in August 2002 (RMA- I wasn't the one you bought a Yellow #1 from for $50, was I?). I also sold my 2 extra blue #1 and maybe #2 that month for less than $60.

I bought a Yellow #1 for $50, but that was in 2008. I think in 2002, I was still thinking that these were "$5 books." :blush:

Guest Grails
I'm a little late but I've been in jail in Mexico. No, I'm not kidding.

Anyway, I am unable to provide any info other than this book was purchased in a complete set in 2002. The set is still together. My request for a scan of the other #3 was denied.

M3.jpg

That's 3.

Excellent.

4 actually. I'm still trying to get him to send me a scan. I've seen it when I lived in Nevada. I've been trying to acquire it from him for months.