• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

So, are these blacks still in demand, or have they dropped? This is an old thread, and I was just curious.

I only have one. A black #2.

Well I think the demand has always been static, but because there's so little activity (so few sales because they're so damn rare), you don't hear much about them.

Just thought I'd bump this thread...with these!

photo4_zps13612cc5.jpg

(sorry for the lousy photo)

That's quite a bump. I no longer have any ashcans but I would really like to put together a set of just the blacks. This may take a few years.

photo4_zps13612cc5.jpg

Nice Chaos Effect Alpha Red! (thumbs u

Make me an offer on that book...since you're following me around, board-to-board. :baiting:

Yes, I'm following you, but I'm also using time travel... that's why I got here 7 years before you. :kidaround:

You probably don't want my offer... let's just say it wouldn't be my first CEAR slab, and I don't pay a lot for dupes. :whistle:

photo4_zps13612cc5.jpg

Nice Chaos Effect Alpha Red! (thumbs u

Make me an offer on that book...since you're following me around, board-to-board. :baiting:

Yes, I'm following you, but I'm also using time travel... that's why I got here 7 years before you. :kidaround:

You probably don't want my offer... let's just say it wouldn't be my first CEAR slab, and I don't pay a lot for dupes. :whistle:

But a Green Label? :) I should charge a premium given the majority on the census are blues..

But a Green Label? :) I should charge a premium given the majority on the census are blues..

Oh, in that case, I should probably clarify that it wouldn't be my first green CEAR slab, and I don't pay a lot for dupes. :whistle::grin:

But to get back on topic... I think the Maxx black ashcans are fascinating.

Image had ashcans for LOTS of books in LOTS of different colors, but it looks like only Maxx was "brave enough" to print so few that it wasn't worth the time it took.

(Except, now it is.)

(:

Havent collected the cards, thought about it though.

Still trying to get my hands on one of the ashcans.

I started collecting this when it first came out in '93. I have finished collecting the regular issues, have some slabbed signatures and now trying to get a full SS set (only 34 or so to go!) Thats including the glow in the dark and the 3D.

The coveted ashcans are high on my list as well. I envy you guys for picking them up early. I left collecting in '98 and just a few months ago decided to start up again. I forgot how much fun it was, and now with the internet, its at a whole new level.

Excellent thread!

I have had several people asking me about these, so I want to put it all to rest.

I am the buyer of #55. That is all I have to do in the matter. The seller sent me these 3 pics and I chose #55.

I placed them here to show how much of a freak of nature that these would pop up out of nowhere. It blows my mind.

Here is what I have to say on the whole thing

I admit the photo's are terrible. I have not seen these in person. The person selling them lives in Virgina. I live in Canada. I am eagerly awaiting mine in the mail. I grabbed it because it was the lowest number.

The seller has assured me that they are in alright condition. Then again, he is 73 years old and has no idea what he has on his hands. I have asked him to be as gentle as he can with them. hence there are no inside photos at all. He asked me if I wanted some and I said no way, you could damage them.

Once my copy comes in, I will post some pics and let everyone know what I think.

I honestly do not think they are garbage, but I don't think they will be in a VF/NM state. Probably looking at 8.0-8.5 at the most.

I could be wrong, I myself am not a grader or have any right to say what is good or bad. I know what quality looks like when I see it, but I would never consider myself an expert on these matters.

I paid what I thought it was worth. These ashcans, and this issue and colour in particular, are so extremely rare, I just had to get one.

I verified that he had taken them into a shop and someone there had offered him $250 a piece. That was good enough for me

It is interesting/bizarre that image would send three of these to one individual.....the only back story was that this seller found an envelope of these in his attic?

Dude, not just an attic, his FATHERS attic. I have spoken to him on the phone. He said he was 73 years old. I totally believe it.

I dunno how old his father was....but man, talk about bizarre.

It is interesting/bizarre that image would send three of these to one individual.....the only back story was that this seller found an envelope of these in his attic?

Dude, not just an attic, his FATHERS attic. I have spoken to him on the phone. He said he was 73 years old. I totally believe it.

I dunno how old his father was....but man, talk about bizarre.

I appreciate the seller revised his listing, there is zero chance that book was a 9.0 or greater.