• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

I see you listed a few, you've probably noticed mine have gone untouched...hopefully you'll have better luck! Also, you need to update the scans! :baiting:

Yeah, I know.

I still want your #3 Blue, so lemme know if you wanna trade. ;)

Well- I finally did it! My husband took my yellow and black ashcans to SDCC and I'm now the proud owner of 6 graded Maxx ashcans... 5 of which I'm very pleased with! :)

IMG_2195.jpg

And, of course, the crown jewel of my collection...

IMG_2201.jpg

Maxx #1 black got a lower grade (8.0) 'cause the pages are all misaligned (something I didn't notice until it was flattened in the CGC case.) The other 5 are all 9.0 and up though, so Jenny happy! :) Also, interesting to note that 2 of the books received a signature grade and 4 are qualified- not quite sure what the rational on that one was.

BTW, I have no plans on selling these- I feel like I can finally enjoy them outside of a safe now that they're in "real" cases. :)

Edited by ibeforej

The yellow labels were mistakes, plain and simple. Absolutely stunning books! Congrats.

Yep - that's a huge mistake on CGC's part, putting those two books in SS slabs :tonofbricks:

Don't get me wrong - your books are absolutely fantastic, just a shame about this error.

Well- I finally did it! My husband took my yellow and black ashcans to SDCC and I'm now the proud owner of 6 graded Maxx ashcans... 5 of which I'm very pleased with! :)

IMG_2195.jpg

And, of course, the crown jewel of my collection...

IMG_2201.jpg

Maxx #1 black got a lower grade (8.0) 'cause the pages are all misaligned (something I didn't notice until it was flattened in the CGC case.) The other 5 are all 9.0 and up though, so Jenny happy! :) Also, interesting to note that 2 of the books received a signature grade and 4 are qualified- not quite sure what the rational on that one was.

BTW, I have no plans on selling these- I feel like I can finally enjoy them outside of a safe now that they're in "real" cases. :)

Awesome!

Very, very nice! My #3 slab now has a playmate!

I can't think of any set of 6 books in the modern era that would be as difficult to find as what you have there, Absolutely stunning! I had a feeling the recent additions to CGC's census were yours (knowing you mentioned about getting them slabbed). I'll probably ship my number two yellow and number 3 black, they're a 9.0 at least....I never thought I'd see any yellow or black above 9.2, congrats!!!!!!

I can't think of any set of 6 books in the modern era that would be as difficult to find as what you have there, Absolutely stunning! I had a feeling the recent additions to CGC's census were yours (knowing you mentioned about getting them slabbed). I'll probably ship my number two yellow and number 3 black, they're a 9.0 at least....I never thought I'd see any yellow or black above 9.2, congrats!!!!!!

I should point out to you again how obscenely lucky you were to score your #3....

....but of course, I should talk, right...? ;)

Tis a small club we're in.

:cloud9:

Wow. great thread.

i'm new to the forum...

started with The Maxx back in '94 (i was 12) - reading and collecting the regular series. got in early enough to beat the MTV series crowd, but too late to get a copy of Maxximum Sound. i remember a friend of mine mailed in for a red ashcan, but at 12 yo, $15 + $5 S/H was too much for a comic...even if it was "different". picked up the action figures and VHS tape when they were made available... drooled over the ceramic figures when they came out... and didnt really get into collecting the ashcans/variants/guest-appearances until around 2000.

i remember buying the Blue #1 for $12 in '04 along with a Darker Image ashcan for $2.50. unfortunately, i've been in school for-freaking-ever and could rarely come up with the money whenever i came across the books i wanted. so i've looked off-and-on (seems like once a year, usually in the summer) and picked up others along the way: a red #1, a few glow #1s, Darker Image gold & silver, 1st printings of the TPB, etc.

now that i have a legit job, i've found myself scouring the interwebs for signs of the ashcans again (~6 hours total today), and i must say, the knowledge and collections on this forum is impressive. i hadnt seen a scan/picture of the yellow or black ashcans until today... i'm pretty sure i convinced myself last year that they didnt exist, or there was only a very tiny handful being hoarded by some geek in a cave... my felt my stomach knot up when i saw RMA's stack of blacks... then nearly pooped myself when i finally got through 13 pages of this thread and saw ibeforej's complete set. but seeing the pictures and hearing some of the stories on how they were acquired has been refreshing ... and now the damn bug has bit me.

it's the only series of comics i really ever got into... and really, the only collection of any kind for me... kept in a shoebox marked "nudie magazines"... with a checklist of all the variants, appearances, or other random maxx merchandise i've heard about over the years (added the red and blue foil #1/2s when i read about them on this thread).

anyway, i too would love to have a complete set and although i'm quite interested in acquiring the many ashcans i dont have (especially the yellows and blacks), i'm not quite sure what i'm willing to spend yet. no whatever that amount is, i'll never be able to justify it to my wife :P

in the meantime, i *do* have alerts set up on ebay...

and will be tracking updates on this forum...

and on the right day, i just might pull the trigger and buy...

should any of you want to unload a copy or two...

just sayin... :)

thank you all for wasting an otherwise productive day for me :) it's been fun.

Welcome to the forums Baslug!

It's so cool to meet yet another person who is as excited about these books as we are. I knew they were rare when I bought them, but, for me, rare books are only fun if you can share them with other collectors. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I found this forum.

Good luck on your search to find your missing issues- and don't forget to check the foreign eBay's, since they do pop up on there on occasion (like that black #3 that sold for a fraction of its value last year.)

Wow. great thread.

i'm new to the forum...

started with The Maxx back in '94 (i was 12) - reading and collecting the regular series. got in early enough to beat the MTV series crowd, but too late to get a copy of Maxximum Sound. i remember a friend of mine mailed in for a red ashcan, but at 12 yo, $15 + $5 S/H was too much for a comic...even if it was "different". picked up the action figures and VHS tape when they were made available... drooled over the ceramic figures when they came out... and didnt really get into collecting the ashcans/variants/guest-appearances until around 2000.

i remember buying the Blue #1 for $12 in '04 along with a Darker Image ashcan for $2.50. unfortunately, i've been in school for-freaking-ever and could rarely come up with the money whenever i came across the books i wanted. so i've looked off-and-on (seems like once a year, usually in the summer) and picked up others along the way: a red #1, a few glow #1s, Darker Image gold & silver, 1st printings of the TPB, etc.

now that i have a legit job, i've found myself scouring the interwebs for signs of the ashcans again (~6 hours total today), and i must say, the knowledge and collections on this forum is impressive. i hadnt seen a scan/picture of the yellow or black ashcans until today... i'm pretty sure i convinced myself last year that they didnt exist, or there was only a very tiny handful being hoarded by some geek in a cave... my felt my stomach knot up when i saw RMA's stack of blacks... then nearly pooped myself when i finally got through 13 pages of this thread and saw ibeforej's complete set. but seeing the pictures and hearing some of the stories on how they were acquired has been refreshing ... and now the damn bug has bit me.

it's the only series of comics i really ever got into... and really, the only collection of any kind for me... kept in a shoebox marked "nudie magazines"... with a checklist of all the variants, appearances, or other random maxx merchandise i've heard about over the years (added the red and blue foil #1/2s when i read about them on this thread).

anyway, i too would love to have a complete set and although i'm quite interested in acquiring the many ashcans i dont have (especially the yellows and blacks), i'm not quite sure what i'm willing to spend yet. no whatever that amount is, i'll never be able to justify it to my wife :P

in the meantime, i *do* have alerts set up on ebay...

and will be tracking updates on this forum...

and on the right day, i just might pull the trigger and buy...

should any of you want to unload a copy or two...

just sayin... :)

thank you all for wasting an otherwise productive day for me :) it's been fun.

Welcome to the boards.

That is an awesome first post!

Welcome to the forums Baslug!

It's so cool to meet yet another person who is as excited about these books as we are. I knew they were rare when I bou'vght them, but, for me, rare books are only fun if you can share them with other collectors. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I found this forum.

Good luck on your search to find your missing issues- and don't forget to check the foreign eBay's, since they do pop up on there on occasion (like that black #3 that sold for a fraction of its value last year.)

Foreign eBay's???!!! holy hell, i'm in trouble.

there's no telling what ridiculous s*** i'm gonna find and talk myself into buying!

but seriously... which countries actually have a comic book collectors market? i figure Canada and the UK would... but are any of the others worth watching? Singapore? New Zealand? Korea? :)

which country did the black #3 pop up?

but seriously... which countries actually have a comic book collectors market? i figure Canada and the UK would... but are any of the others worth watching? Singapore? New Zealand? Korea? :)

which country did the black #3 pop up?

I'm almost positive it was the UK eBay, but I found out after the auction was no longer searchable, so I'm not 100%.