• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Sorry for the delay- "Frame it Again, Sam" had some issues pop up, so it took about 6 weeks to get my frames in. But, they're here and my collection is now complete (until I find out there was actually a 1 of 10 black ashcan w/ a platinum and gold embossed cover... ;) )

So, after chatting with you guys about my two mislabeled Yellow ashcans (they were designated as Signature Series, when they should have been Qualified like the rest) , I decided to contact CGC to see what they would offer. It had been almost a year since I had them graded, so I wasn't holding my breath, but since it was a CGC mistake, I figured they would probably come through. Well, did they ever!

I received a quick reply back from Eric Downton and he said to ship them back to CGC and they would cover all of the costs (shipping included). While I felt like this was a great offer, it was still an inconvenience to have to pack these books back up, risk loss in shipment, and then have to wait for them to get regraded and shipped back to me.

Now, I still had my 6 blue and red ashcans waiting to be graded- I had decided to send them to SDCC with my husband, but this was always nerve-wracking for me since he has to fly cross-country and hand-deliver them. So, I rolled the dice once again and asked Eric if CGC wouldn't mind grading these 6 books for free in exchange for the goof...and he agreed. :banana:

Since I don't have a CGC account, all I ended up paying was shipping to CGC (a little over $30 w/ insurance) and I received all of my books back and excellent grades at that (and the two yellows kept their original grades.) Eric even put my blue and red ashcans on Modern Fast Track after he received them as an extra bonus.

So, it pretty much goes without saying that I am thrilled with the way that Eric Downton and CGC handled this- it honestly could not have gone better.

And here's my final showcase (with annoying glare from a recessed light):

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

IMG_5566.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

Hollllly Christ....I never thought the day I would see a 9.8 Maxx Ashcan....stunning....it's too bad non Maxx collectors don't realize what a collecting feat this is!

Do you remember who the original owner of this collection was that you bought them from? The condition on each of these is incredible.

Edited by spreads

Hollllly Christ....I never thought the day I would see a 9.8 Maxx Ashcan....stunning....it's too bad non Maxx collectors don't realize what a collecting feat this is!

Do you remember who the original owner of this collection was that you bought them from? The condition on each of these is incredible.

You guys are all great- I love that I'm not the only one who thinks these things are all sorts of awesome. :)

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the original owner (although I do know his active eBay ID)- I bought them on eBay back in 2002. The auction included a ton of Maxx/Sam Kieth goodies and all of them were in pristine condition. These ashcans were boarded, double-bagged, and labeled. Honestly, I don't think I would have packaged these up as well as he did.

I also bought a Crow/O'Barr collection from him a few weeks later- same care and preservation measures were taken with those items.

I've sold off a lot of the items from these two collections over the past 10 years, but some things I just haven't been able to part with yet... :)

Guest Grails Game
Fantastic display! I'm out of the club though as I recently sold mine.

Oh man- well, I hope you got a great price for it. Did you just sell your black Maxx #1 or all of the singles you had?

I had sold off almost every slabbed book in my collection. The only thing Maxx related I have is the Leopard Queen.

Guest Grails Game

Posting this here since this thread has been the Maxx hub on the boards.

Sam Kieth gallery at Cartoon Art Museum

I will probably be there for the opening. My last visit was during the Gene Colan exhibition where he was presented the Sparky. Can't miss the opportunity to see Maxx original art including this!

maxx1copy.jpg

...and finally, there is another chance for those of you who want a Sam Kieth SS. For one day only, (Saturday, January 12th, from 2pm to 4pm) Sam is signing here. You could be in luck if any witnesses live in the area.

I will probably be there for the opening. My last visit was during the Gene Colan exhibition where he was presented the Sparky. Can't miss the opportunity to see Maxx original art including this!

maxx1copy.jpg

...and finally, there is another chance for those of you who want a Sam Kieth SS. For one day only, (Saturday, January 12th, from 2pm to 4pm) Sam is signing here. You could be in luck if any witnesses live in the area.

:o

Wow- for some reason I thought the GITD cover had been sold. Jealous of anyone who gets to see it in person! :)

maxx1copy.jpg

:o

:whistle:

Received a surprise email from my Maxx ashcan seller this morning- he thought I might have also bought his Tick lot back in 2001 and had a particularly rare book that he wanted me to offer to me if I still had the collection (the tick luny bin # 1 aka big blue destiny # 7 comic-con ashcan edition s/n of 200, if anyone is interested.) On a personal note, I think it's awesome that someone would contact me 11years later to offer me a missing book- most people would have just thrown it on eBay and not bothered.

Anyways, I took the opportunity to ask him how he managed to get the whole ashcan collection and he said he bought them through the ad that was in issue #4. Prices were:

- $75 per black

- $50 per yellow

- $25 per red

- $15 per blue (this was the only price listed in the ad- the rest were "call" for details)

I know I wasn't reading the Maxx when it first came out and, based on this thread, I'm assuming a lot of us got into it post-issue #4. So, if someone had $495 plus shipping, they could also have acquired a whole set, but I'm wondering if that price back in the first year of a comic was a little too steep... or they just haven't discovered this thread yet... :)

I got into it from the start, and saw that ad. But between my age/income at the time, and the fact that I thought paying more for a worse version of the comic was a terrible idea, I passed. Meanwhile, he contacted you, and years ago after you bought his stuff, I bought your extras on ebay. It's a small small internet.

Here is a scan of the advert from Maxx #4 for anyone interested. Below that is my copy of the Maxx #3 Blue Ashcan (#29/500). For the life of me I can't remember where I got it but it must have been at a convention. I'm pretty sure it was in a 3/$1 or $0.50 box.

MaxxAshcanad.jpg

Maxx3BlueAshcan.jpg

I've been trying to collect these for quite a while now. That is an amazing site to see them all together. I keep just missing them when they go up for sale. If you ever decide to sell them in the future let me know, I'll make you a good offer.

Received a surprise email from my Maxx ashcan seller this morning- he thought I might have also bought his Tick lot back in 2001 and had a particularly rare book that he wanted me to offer to me if I still had the collection (the tick luny bin # 1 aka big blue destiny # 7 comic-con ashcan edition s/n of 200, if anyone is interested.) On a personal note, I think it's awesome that someone would contact me 11years later to offer me a missing book- most people would have just thrown it on eBay and not bothered.

Anyways, I took the opportunity to ask him how he managed to get the whole ashcan collection and he said he bought them through the ad that was in issue #4. Prices were:

- $75 per black

- $50 per yellow

- $25 per red

- $15 per blue (this was the only price listed in the ad- the rest were "call" for details)

I know I wasn't reading the Maxx when it first came out and, based on this thread, I'm assuming a lot of us got into it post-issue #4. So, if someone had $495 plus shipping, they could also have acquired a whole set, but I'm wondering if that price back in the first year of a comic was a little too steep... or they just haven't discovered this thread yet... :)

Wow, I can't believe that seller would even be able to contact you...so assuming he paid those advertised prices, he sold the set to you at a loss...then would be willing to just give you an ultra rare book for free? Either this guy's a saint, or an eccentric millionaire...