• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ACG is the one for me.....

22 posts in this topic

Now, my ACG collection..... I really liked those stories a lot. Try to build high grade runs of those , especially from pre 1960. They are a bear to complete.Does anyone else collect them as well?

My favorite ACGs are the 3-D effect books circa '54 or so. A cool footnote in comic history. I was working on collecting those awhile back, but ended up selling them.

I have about 125 issues of midgrade of Unknown Worlds/Forbidden Worlds/Adv. into the Unknown which I enjoy for the Sci-fi stories but I've never been overly excited by the covers or stories compared to other publishers.

I've found the earlier issues much better than the later ones.

Now, my ACG collection..... I really liked those stories a lot. Try to build high grade runs of those , especially from pre 1960. They are a bear to complete.Does anyone else collect them as well?

I'm working on a complete pre-code Adventures into the Unknown run. Need about 11 more books for the set.

You have any pics??? :wishluck:

I'm working on a complete pre-code Adventures into the Unknown run. Need about 11 more books for the set.

You have any pics??? :wishluck:

the only acg book i have.

northford.jpg

My favorite issues are from 1956(post code) to 1964. A lot of the covers were as weird as the stuff Brian Bolland is doing today. John Forte , LSH artist for the Adventure comics, used to do a lot of work for ACG. Also Kurt Schaffenberger, Superman, Lois Lane artist, did a lot for them It is funny to see a Superman head on a civilian. I seldom see these issues in high grade as they are read pretty hard.

I've got a few ACG's. I do think they are underappreciated....

IMG_0614.jpg

There are quite a few "tame" ACGs but your great group shot shows that there are a lot that aren't! :applause:

Whoa, GREAT BOOKS! (I need to spend more time over here) (thumbs u

I have a few older 'Adventures into the Unknown' myself, and then later the 4-issue 'Gasp' series from 1967.

This one isn't really G.A, but it's the only ACG that I have worth sharing. :grin:

Gasp190WPCurator.jpg

:whatev:

Dave,

I have all the Herbies and most of the FW Herbie appearances. I own the original to the cover of Herbie 8.

Love Ogden Whitney!

Dave,

I have all the Herbies and most of the FW Herbie appearances. I own the original to the cover of Herbie 8.

Love Ogden Whitney!

Rather unintentionally (because it was part of a group buy), I just acquired a full set of the Herbies. I haven't read them yet and know nothing about them (at first I thought it was a "Love Bug" thing....duh). I guess I'll dig in with #1. Can you tell me anything about the back-story on these? He's a character who started in another title, right?

Regarding ACG in general, I love their very early horror. The interior art is kick-arse. I also think their Fake 3-D covers (images offset by black backgrounds) are hilarious -- it's 3-D on a budget! Who needs colored glasses?

Dave,

Love Ogden Whitney!

Rather unintentionally (because it was part of a group buy), I just acquired a full set of the Herbies. I haven't read them yet and know nothing about them (at first I thought it was a "Love Bug" thing....duh). I guess I'll dig in with #1. Can you tell me anything about the back-story on these? He's a character who started in another title, right?

Forbidden Worlds 73, 94, 110, 114, 166 then his own title. I think that's all of them.

Weird deadpan humor, all written by Richard Hughes (of course) and drawn by Ogden Whitney. Cult favorite -- I think he's a hoot!

Regarding ACG in general, I love their very early horror. The interior art is kick-arse. I also think their Fake 3-D covers (images offset by black backgrounds) are hilarious -- it's 3-D on a budget! Who needs colored glasses?

Really odd, aren't they?

Apologies for the mediocre seller photos.

Cookie50.jpg

Cookie50page.jpg

Jack