• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade 2

17 posts in this topic

Some of the discussions here have prompted me to re-evaluate some of my books.... I am learning that grading on mid-grade books is a lot tougher than I anticipated! shocked.gif

Light diagonal crease.... minor ink loss at LRC (maybe tape got pulled off?)

dd1.jpg

Light general wear on this one

conan1.jpg

IMO:

VG/VG- 3.5/4.0 borderline on the DD1.

I've seen 4.0s with the big corner crease, but you have that color loss to go along with it so maybe 3.5.

Conan 1:

F 6.0

The hardest grading is just below VF.

F+ to VF- (6.5 to 7.5)

VF and up can have no significant defects, but once you get down into the FVF range one or two dinged corners or small tears can show up. People have different opinions on which of these smaller, but significant defects are worse.

I'm hating on "slight rust on staples" and "small spine split" a lot!

I'm a spine freak so don't try to sell me those at VF-... makepoint.gif

IMO:

VG/VG- 3.5/4.0 borderline on the DD1.

I've seen 4.0s with the big corner crease, but you have that color loss to go along with it so maybe 3.5.

I expected the Conan to be a solid 6.0, but the DD got hammered. Jeez.... somebody said 2.0 ! Ouch! confused-smiley-013.gif I've seen 2.0s that were shredded, rusty staples, missing chunks and writing on the cover..... 893frustrated.gif I was thinking the DD might get a 4.5 - 5.0....

Speaking of long corner creases, here is a CGC 7.0 with a significant corner crease.

CGC 7.0 with Crease

I expected the Conan to be a solid 6.0, but the DD got hammered. Jeez.... somebody said 2.0 ! Ouch! confused-smiley-013.gif I've seen 2.0s that were shredded, rusty staples, missing chunks and writing on the cover..... 893frustrated.gif I was thinking the DD might get a 4.5 - 5.0....

Speaking of long corner creases, here is a CGC 7.0 with a significant corner crease.

CGC 7.0 with Crease

I was the one who hammered it with a 2.0 shocked.gif, I can tell it has water damage. Everyone has an opinion but I pretty sure that it would pull a 2.0 maybe a 2.5 but a 4.5 is a bit optimistic.

CGC 7.0 with Crease

I was the one who hammered it with a 2.0 shocked.gif, I can tell it has water damage. Everyone has an opinion but I pretty sure that it would pull a 2.0 maybe a 2.5 but a 4.5 is a bit optimistic.

I missed the H2O damage... frown.gif

My 3.5/4.0 would have to be adjusted to 2.5/3.0. sorry.gif

I'd go GD/VG 3.0 on the DD 1 and VG/FN 5.0 on the Conan 1. The Conan just has too much overall wear which shows up too clearly on the dark shades of that cover. It's also a cover that could hide some moderately significant non-color breaking creases and the like, so I'm erring on the conservative side on that one.