• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List of stolen comics from Harley Yee

48 posts in this topic

I know this was on here a couple of weeks ago, but thought I would give it another little push. Harley is a friend of mine and I would like to both help him find his books and to catch the low-life who stole them.

adventure

20 9.6 mile high $18000

72 app 6.5 $1900

228 9.0 $400

Air Fighters

9 7.0 $700

All american

89 8.0 $900

All Star

9 4.5 $750

Amazing spiderman

8 2.5 $140

9 6.5 $500

an 3 9.0 $240

Astonishing Tales

6 9.6 $180

Avengers

2 7.5 $600

Batman

200 8.5 $180

Boy commando

15 9.4 big apple $1575

Captain Marvel

9 9.4 $125

Catman

1 5.0 $1100

Daredevil

17 8.0 $140

18 9.4 $450

49 9.6 $270

Detective

156 5.5 $270

184 6.5 $250

439 9.6 $400

443 9.4 $240

Fantastic four

97 9.4 $210

106 9.4 $120

Flash

82 8.0 $650

Leading

11 7.0 crowley $275

Marvel mystery

32 app 7.0 $900

Perfect love

3 9.6 $650

Sensation

35 9.2 rockford $1000

Super comics

33 9.0 $550

Teen age temptation

7 7.5 pgx $350

time tunnel

1 9.4 $250

Xmen

20 9.2 $475

Zoot

13 7.0 $300

The email that was circulated from harley that i got said they were all slabbed.

The mile high is the one that stands out to me, otherwise, unless he recorded the serial number, these will get awfully hard to check for.

Harley usually has a lot of help with him too! Thieves at comic shows... just sucks.

How the Hell did that many get stolen?

Who was watching his stall Stevie Wonder?

Somebody grabbed a box of wall books. Harley had 3 guys there in Detroit but his brother in law was in a wheel chair because of a leg injury so that may have given the theif a better opportunity.

R.

I wonder if the thief cracked them all out to make them less identifiable.

Thats How I would Do it!

Same, these books are just to be blunt, gone.

My recomendation to any all dealers at conventions if you have a high dollar books, hire a security person to watch your stuff. For less then a 100 bucks a day you can have someone protecting your interests. And the cost is insignificant. In these down times you will have more people tempted to steal, its a sad fact.

Plus some person can make a little extra cash on the side, who doesn't need the extra cash?

MY advice is not to bring $10K+ books without proper insurance. For that matter, how many $18000 books do dealers expect to sell at a convention? Why not advertise the expensive books and work out arrangements for the very small % of collectors who are actually serious about spending that kind of dough.

MY advice is not to bring $10K+ books without proper insurance. For that matter, how many $18000 books do dealers expect to sell at a convention? Why not advertise the expensive books and work out arrangements for the very small % of collectors who are actually serious about spending that kind of dough.

Lots of big books trade hands at conventions. Dealers like Harley would not be lugging those books around if they thought they were dead stock.

Still, the game has changed, and the players are constantly adapting. Security at these cons is always weak and the dealers are going to have to start investing in some sort of more thorough security or tracking systems if the want to avoid this sort of thing in the future.

R.

Lots of big books trade hands at conventions. Dealers like Harley would not be lugging those books around if they thought they were dead stock.

Still, the game has changed, and the players are constantly adapting. Security at these cons is always weak and the dealers are going to have to start investing in some sort of more thorough security or tracking systems if the want to avoid this sort of thing in the future.

R.

Big books do sell at shows or sell down the road because they were at the show. We often see board members asking about books they need that they spot in con report pics. Big books also draw interest to a booth.

It just sucks that spoon will take what isn't theirs. Is there such a thing as a waffer thin tracking chip that could be hidden in a comic box?

I thought about that. Or just tape it to the bottom of a slab. Doofus running with the box would be found in no time.

What I find amazing is how loose security is at cons. In NYC it took forever to clear the room at the end of each nite.

Wow... that's horrendous.

I hope the gets caught and Harley gets his stuff back.

As a show promoter... I can agree that security is always an issue, and that everyone needs to be constantly vigilant, but that being said, this is a serious issue and probably one that should be addressed by everyone sooner rather than later.

We're now in the 21st century... and we should start taking advantage of that fact.

I don't know what the rest of you think... but there has to be ways to protect dealers from losing books like this.

Maybe webcams set up at your booth recording everything. They cost $100 each (or more for better quality).. Hook em up to a laptop in the booth, have 2-3 recording at all times and for $300 you have an instant security system. It doesn't tell you who stole the books... but it'll have them on video, which can be brought to the police, con promoters, posted online etc.... That's just a quick thought after having read this post.

Anyone else have any ideas?

-mike

I thought about that. Or just tape it to the bottom of a slab. Doofus running with the box would be found in no time.

What I find amazing is how loose security is at cons. In NYC it took forever to clear the room at the end of each nite.

Hell, stores clip those devices that beep when you leave the store to $59 sweaters. Perhaps it should be done to expensive books. Or take a page out of the banking business and use dye packs.

It just burns me that people steal from dealers that are just trying to make a living. Factor in convention expenses and hassle, inventory costs and the need to show a profit on top of theft and it is a wonder dealers even show up.